Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I dropped by a friend’s gun shop hoping to see and close a deal on a couple of Walther PPs, and ended up putting my eyes and hans on a new-in-box Walther P99 Versuchs Modell (that is, a prototype). It comes along in a blue Walther case with all customery paperwork and extra mag and grips.

As you can imagine, price is not cheap. But I might make an offer. Only problem I could not find anything about them on the net, except a few pictures.

I know the origin of this pistol and know the seller very well so I am sure it is genuine.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Hi John. I searched for P99 Versuchs over here in the US, nothing much comes up. Just some info on what the "V" signifies on Walther firearms.

We should ALL have such problems, establishing values on rare Walthers. Keep it up!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Necro-bump.

DeutschlandUberAlles, one has appeared on GunBroker: Walther P99 Prototype 1 of 20 New “V” prefix Rare German like 210 Korth PP - Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com : 866204066

EDIT: (pertinent images copied here future reference)

Can anyone verify the claim that the reverse slide serrations are a 1 of 20 affair? I know the letter in the auction appears below a Walther banner letterhead, but this is the Internet. The little I've found written about the P99 'V' refer to a few hundred in existence. Are we to believe this one is 1 of 20 of 250?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
KK Date code? Why doesn't it have the split trigger? It would seem to me the first P99 Prototypes would have a date code earlier than KH and have the split trigger.

My early P99 is date code KH, S/N 5xxx and has the split trigger.

Maybe these were prototypes of the changes made to the original that eliminated the split trigger, although I don't get the slide serrations change.

·
Registered
16 Posts
KK Date code? Why doesn't it have the split trigger? It would seem to me the first P99 Prototypes would have a date code earlier than KH and have the split trigger.

My early P99 is date code KH, S/N 5xxx and has the split trigger.

Maybe these were prototypes of the changes made to the original that eliminated the split trigger, although I don't get the slide serrations change.
I wondered the same thing about the lack of split trigger. Great deduction on the possibility of this being a prototype to the revisions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Given to in June 97 and proofed in 1999?
One thing to note from the auction description: "Letter shown is included and is in the same block of pistols as this one offered."

So the one for auction wasn't necessarily given to a Walther employee like the letter states, only its serial number is very close to the one in the letter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So the reason I was so interested in this P99 anomaly is because I was soon to acquire one just like it. Now that it's arrived, I contacted Earl about it. Email exchange below:

Hyde said:
Good evening:

I was wondering if you could provide me some information about a recent acquisition of mine. The pistol in question is a P99 with serial V1924. Attached are some photos of the handgun.

I noticed the slide serrations slant in the opposite direction compared to any other P99 I've seen before. In a web search for information about this, I came across a GunBroker listing for another P99 with reversed slide serrations and a V serial number. The information in that listing is interesting (they say it's 1 of 20 in this configuration), but I wanted to hear an explanation from someone reputable like yourself. You can find that listing if you search 'V1871' on GunBroker.com

I hope you can shed some light on this. Thank you, and have a pleasant weekend.

Earl said:
The 100% German Walther Modell P99 pistol in question (V1924) is a pistol that I imported direct from the Walther Factory in Germany, and sold. Yes, there was approx..20 pistols made with the slide serrations going the opposite way. These were prototypes to see if this configuration would be better. I still have the one that the Factory gave me for providing service to them. Hope this helps. Please advise.

Sincerely, Earl
Hyde said:
Thank you for the quick reply. So the letter in the auction on GunBroker is actually referring to you.

With a date code of KK, is this pistol a prototype that predates the redesign rather than one that predates the release of the model P99 itself?

One last thing, would you know if there's any significance to the scrape in the polymer ahead of the frame rail on the left side? I only bring it up because the P99 in the GunBroker listing has an identical scrape in the exact same place. I find it peculiar that two rare guns would have identical "damage."

Thank you so much for your time.
Earl said:
Dear Sir,

The letter was written to me from the Factory. I have serial # V1872 in my shop on display. The mark that you are looking at is from the optional laser / flashlight accessory. When installing / removing it, if it was not loosened enough, then it can make this mark. It is a very rare pistol!! Hope this helps.

Sincerely, Earl
So there you go. Earl doesn't address my question about the date code, so I suppose these are simply trial guns built for additional testing purposes after the gun was already released.

EDIT: Added additional photos.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Congrats on your purchase of a very rare P99.
Thank you! I did not intend to buy such a rare gun; it was pure luck. I acquired it with a few other Walthers, and was only intending to keep one: an early P99c with zero import marks and four magazines.

Do you intend to shoot it?
I may. Mine is not "Factory New" as the seller on GunBroker claims theirs is.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts