Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster....

I have owned a P99 for about 2 years now and have found it to be a fine firearm, but have not shot it much since I bought an HK P2000 last year.  After much deliberation, I have decided the best course of action is to trade or sell my P99 and I thought I would ask the experts (that’s you all!) about what sort of trade value or price I could reasonably expect to get for it.

My P99 is a 9mm QA version and has an AD date code (2003 with the old body style).  It has around 2,000 rounds through it, is in perfect working order, and looks new except there is a very tiny bit (less than the size of a pea) of discoloration around where the brass is ejected and there is a an almost imperceptible amount of superficial wear on the tactical rails.  I have 4 factory magazines, 2 10 rounders and 2 15 rounders, and a Laser Devices Inc. Universal Las/Tac 6-volt Light (which cost around $150 new) that I would also like to trade/sell with the gun.  I still have the factory case, backstraps, manual, etc.  This was my first gun and, as such, has been pampered beyond belief (meticulously maintained and cleaned, never holstered, etc.).

So, what do you guys think would be a fair trade or sale price for it?  Thanks in advance for your comments.

Amicus Curiae

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm not a dealer or expert, but I'll give you my opinion.

My guess is that the QA just isn't going to have as much resale value as an AS model. For your gun I'd probably be willing to pay in the low 300's. For an AS I'd tack on another hundred.

The 2 extra mags could probably fetch 20 or 30 bucks extra.

As far as the accessories...I'm afraid I'm not much help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BlakeTyner @ Sep. 24 2006,5:15)]My guess is that the QA just isn't going to have as much resale value as an AS model.
Thanks for the reply.

Could you please explain why the QA model is less desirable than the AS model?  Is DAO in general less desirable?

Also, I have never traded or sold a pistol before; do you typically get a better deal on a trade or a straight sale?

Thanks again!

Amicus Curiae

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
The difference in the offers is bias. Value is subjective. It depends on finding someone who wants what you have to sell and how badly they want it. The AS was discontinued and some will pay more for the AS because that's what they want and they have difficulty finding it. Others who do not like the AS system wouldn't even entertain buying it unless they could flip it to someone else. -Do not let someone talk you down on the price because "it's only a QA."

The gun you describe without the accessories (and extra mags) would go for around $425 - $450 in a private sale on gunbroker.com. The key is having the patience for the right person to come along and buy it. You can list something there and it won't get a single bid one week and two weeks later you could have two people who have a bidding war for a gun that either one could have had for the opening bid a week earlier.

If you're selling to a gun dealer, expect less because he's going to offer you wholesale. This may be as little as half of the retail market value, depending on the dealer. Be aware that some dealers will use a "dealer" price guide book to convince potential marks that their gun is worth half the market value. -It's an old trick and it works well.

I realize that you would like to sell it all in one transaction because that would be quicker or simpler, but my advice to you is to split up the package. If you put it all together and try selling it that way, you'll run into people who who will only want two of the three things and their bid will reflect that. For anyone who wants all of the stuff, they can buy it and you can combine shipping.

·
Registered
525 Posts
If you can get $400 for the gun and mags I'd take it and run, I don't think it'll be easy to get that even. Many of us think the AS trigger is the trigger the P99 was made to have and works best. The new QA can sell for $800 but if no one's buying, no one's buying.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Yes, the A/S is a lot easier to sell than the QA, unfortunately - so in reality, the A/S can bring more $.

Considering U are past the "only 500 rounds thru the gun" that seems to be the famous selling poiint, then yes, I'd say $400 for it would be fair.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Well, I've seen new QAs forsale at the Houston gun show for as low as $515 in both 9mm and 40 cal - so that was very lucky.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts