Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day I had a post about PPQ parts in p99. Here's my P99 with some modifications. Replaced the slide end cap with one from PPQ, upgraded magazines with extended base plates. Somehow the mags went from 16 to 19. Short paddle release(long one bothers me) they should have kept the short one. Meprolight night sights and talon grips.
I did have to cut off the firing pin back protrusion. Still DA/SA, so everything works fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I would not have made either of those choices. I disagree with you INTENSELY regarding the mag release - I like the long one on my P99 and P99c much better than the short one on my wife's PK380, and the red rear tip of the striker protruding offers at least a small safety benefit. That said, it's your gun, so as long as you're happy with it, bravo. The threaded barrel is pretty cool - have you run it suppressed, and if so, how is it for that?

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I would not have made either of those choices. I disagree with you INTENSELY regarding the mag release - I like the long one on my P99 and P99c much better than the short one on my wife's PK380, and the red rear tip of the striker protruding offers at least a small safety benefit. That said, it's your gun, so as long as you're happy with it, bravo. The threaded barrel is pretty cool - have you run it suppressed, and if so, how is it for that?

Glad the OP likes the result but I have to agree with olstyn on this one. Not my cuppa for certain. The lack of a striker indicator is a BIG part of why I will not own a PPQ.

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
I don't see the plus/minus of a visible striker indicator.

Whether it's visible or not means little. Doesn't mean there's a chambered round, and in any case, using a visible means of assuming the gun is safe (or isn't) is IMHO a foolish thing. After all, isn't every gun loaded until proven empty? ;)

My PPS also has a protruding striker, but I don't bother with it either. It's either cocked and in my hand or holster, or decocked and on my nightstand or in a safe.

But at least we have options, so you do your thing and I'll do my thing too. :D

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I don't see the plus/minus of a visible striker indicator.

Whether it's visible or not means little. Doesn't mean there's a chambered round, and in any case, using a visible means of assuming the gun is safe (or isn't) is IMHO a foolish thing. After all, isn't every gun loaded until proven empty? ;)

My PPS also has a protruding striker, but I don't bother with it either. It's either cocked and in my hand or holster, or decocked and on my nightstand or in a safe.

But at least we have options, so you do your thing and I'll do my thing too. :D

Here's the plus - thumb over striker indicator while reholstering. If it moves, you STOP. :eek:

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
On the 99, the pin lets you know whether you're in DA or SA mode. Useful feature that, on a DA/SA gun without a hammer.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see what everyone is saying about the striker protruding, however I'm with Thunderbird on this one. If it's on me it's loaded, if it's in the holster it's chambered, and if it is chambered it's decocked. I've carried it for 7 years, striker showing at the back does nothing for me.
I have run it suppressed a couple years back. Don't have my own yet. Same gun just quiet.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Here's the plus - thumb over striker indicator while reholstering. If it moves, you STOP.
I believe a better safety measure would be to press and hold the decocker into the slide while holstering. When pressed and held into the slide, the decocker acts as a "striker block".

On the 99, the pin lets you know whether you're in DA or SA mode. Useful feature that, on a DA/SA gun without a hammer.
This is exactly the reason why the cocked indicator is there. On a pistol like the P99, where there are two modes of the trigger with the trigger forward, it would be otherwise impossible to just look at the pistol and tell if it was cocked in AS mode, or decocked in DA mode, just with a glance.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wow. These choices and mods just aren’t for me. None of them.

Overloading a magazine can cause real reliability issues. Also, without longer mag springs sooner or later malfunctions will start as the spring becomes too weak to feed the last rounds.

Again, happy for the OP if he is happy, but to me, all of these mods are a bad idea.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I see what everyone is saying about the striker protruding, however I'm with Thunderbird on this one. If it's on me it's loaded, if it's in the holster it's chambered, and if it is chambered it's decocked. I've carried it for 7 years, striker showing at the back does nothing for me.
I have run it suppressed a couple years back. Don't have my own yet. Same gun just quiet.

That kind of thinking leads to NDs - period.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Overloading a magazine can cause real reliability issues. Also, without longer mag springs sooner or later malfunctions will start as the spring becomes too weak to feed the last rounds.
That appears to be a factory PPQ mag extension, the same one that's on the 17-round PPQ mags. There's apparently a different spring for those; if the OP has that spring in the mag, then in theory, there shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
172 Posts
That appears to be a factory PPQ mag extension, the same one that's on the 17-round PPQ mags. There's apparently a different spring for those; if the OP has that spring in the mag, then in theory, there shouldn't be a problem.
He didn’t say he had the spring, but more concerning is that he said his mag capacity is now 19, not 17. Even if he means 18 + 1, that is still an overload.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought my P99C to use as a TDA pistol. When it's decocked, the striker isn't visible. Running it with the heavier DA pull instead of AS mode does not contribute to NDs.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
He didn’t say he had the spring, but more concerning is that he said his mag capacity is now 19, not 17. Even if he means 18 + 1, that is still an overload.
Fair enough. Having done a little bit of experimenting, I can say that P99c followers will allow +1 round for 16 rounds in a nominally 15-round mag. I wonder if that's what's going on here. (The anti-tilt "legs" are shorter on the P99c follower, so they don't impact the baseplate and stop you cold at 15 rounds - the 16th actually goes in easier than the 15th in a normal mag.) Regardless of how it happened, it's unknown what the long-term effect on reliability will be until he's run a significant number of rounds through it over a significant amount of time. I certainly wouldn't trust it as a defense gun until its performance in that configuration has been thoroughly vetted.

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
Gonna have to state that seeing where the striker is has NOTHING to do with an "ND", rather not paying attention when holstering, fumbling around with a gun that IS loaded, or being a jackass WILL cause a situation where the gun fires.

But I guess I don't know, I've shot my PPQ' (plural) more than any other gun in my life, it's either loaded or it ain't. Either way, to have an ND means you've violated one or more of the universal gun safety rules, rather than failed to pay attention to a little hole in the back of the slide.

;)

I'm not saying to NOT use it, just don't rely on it as the ONLY means of being sure you're gun can or can't fire.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is that threaded barrel from a PPQ as well?
Barrel is specifically for P99 from Earls.

Why?

I've got the spring from the PPQ 17 round mag, and it fits, but the top part needs to be narrowed a bit, so it fits the P99 Follower.

I bought my P99C to use as a TDA pistol. When it's decocked, the striker isn't visible. Running it with the heavier DA pull instead of AS mode does not contribute to NDs.
That's what I thought too, I don't carry it in SA.

Fair enough. Having done a little bit of experimenting, I can say that P99c followers will allow +1 round for 16 rounds in a nominally 15-round mag. I wonder if that's what's going on here. (The anti-tilt "legs" are shorter on the P99c follower, so they don't impact the baseplate and stop you cold at 15 rounds - the 16th actually goes in easier than the 15th in a normal mag.) Regardless of how it happened, it's unknown what the long-term effect on reliability will be until he's run a significant number of rounds through it over a significant amount of time. I certainly wouldn't trust it as a defense gun until its performance in that configuration has been thoroughly vetted.
The magazines I have are from Earl's "Pre-ban" 16 rounds, I haven't looked to see if the follower is the same as the p99c, I'll have to check. I've shot it already, and haven't had an issue, but for sure, I'll report back when I put a few hundred rounds through it.

Agreed 100&. All I can say to the OP is if you ever decide to sell the pistol, PLEASE disclose these modifications to the buyer.
Don't know why I would. Ever.... in this lifetime, :)
I can also revert everything back to original in about 10 minutes.

Gonna have to state that seeing where the striker is has NOTHING to do with an "ND", rather not paying attention when holstering, fumbling around with a gun that IS loaded, or being a jackass WILL cause a situation where the gun fires.

But I guess I don't know, I've shot my PPQ' (plural) more than any other gun in my life, it's either loaded or it ain't. Either way, to have an ND means you've violated one or more of the universal gun safety rules, rather than failed to pay attention to a little hole in the back of the slide.

;)

I'm not saying to NOT use it, just don't rely on it as the ONLY means of being sure you're gun can or can't fire.
100% agree. People having negligent discharges blows my mind. Defective firearm is a different thing.

I'll let everyone know what I think once I go to the range a few times.

Let me know if you have questions

1 - 20 of 39 Posts