Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help... these pictures aren't that great, but I'm getting wear on the underside of my P99 .40 barrel. It starts at the edge of the square lug on the barrel at the base of the 'step' that the recoil rod/spring sits in and proceeds about an inch along the barrel.

There are minute metallic looking shavings on the barrel I assume are comming from this wear. The spring

I've only shot about 150 rounds of WWB and I'm sure this won't effect the weapons performance, but I'm worried this will continue/worsen. I'd like to think there wouldn't be any wear on the barrel... and that the spring would give before the barrel.

Anyway, has anyone else seen this ?? I wish I could get a better picture... or had a scanner I could use for this.

Here are two not so great photos... the more grainy one has a red box highlighting the area that is wearing:

Barrel Wear Pics

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone... anyone... Bueller...

If a couple of you could just check the underside of your barrel next time you clean it and let me know if you see any wear... just want to make sure I don't have an odd ball here.

Grazie.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Grazie,

I can't see your pics since you have to be a "Yahoo member", and log on etc, to see them. But there is some wear on the bottom (and top) of my barrel from the slide traveling back and forth. Just finish wear, no metal shavings. I'd be concerned about that, especially so close to the chamber. I'll take a look at the extents tonight. I didn't think the wear went that far back.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks MLB... sorry the pics didn't show up... need to find another way to host them for free.

Yeah, if you get a chance to look at your barrel, that would be great. I'm hoping the shavings (they're really just metallic looking specks) are actually from the recoil spring being slightly worn.

And I meant 'grazie' as in 'thanks'... I don't really know any Italian, so I probalby shouldn't do that. You can just call me Darth... or Bryce... or whatever.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Hah! Shows you how much Italian I know!

The wear I mentioned on the bottom of the barrel before only goes about midway to the block. That's from the slide. Looking closer, I did notice a small amount of wear from the recoil spring near the block. I hadn't noticed it before.

The recoil spring guide is one of those items on the P99 that I really don't like. If you look closely, it is actually 2 pieces of plastic. Mine bends slightly at the joint (near the block end) when the slide is off the frame. I imagine that it straightens up when on the frame. Yours may be worn more than mine, bending more and allowing the spring to grind against the barrel.

If I could find a metal guide rod, I'd buy it. There was a thread about a recoil reducer here somewhere. It incorporated a replacement metal guide rod, but they wanted about $70 for it as I remember. Earl's doesn't sell a metal rod either. If you find one, let me know...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, the bend to the plastic guide rod is a bit disturbing... and it defintiely seems like that is helping to push the spring into the barrel and causing the wear.

Yeah, the Sprinco recoil assemblies... several folks there said they were junk right ?

Lunde's faq mentioned S&W supposedly making them custom for folks... I'm sure they cost a fortune.

Generally I'm fine with the plastic guide rod as long as this wear doesn't go any further. Also, I never really noticed the trigger was plastic until I finally picked mine up... thought that was weird, but I got over it quickly.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
As I remember, the recoil reducers just weren't effective in reducing recoil much. $70 for a small bit of tube steel is a bit much. I should call S&W to see if they are making those steel guide rods.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I e-mailed S&W on the recoil rod thing yesterday... a phone call would probably get you further though.

They're probably too busy working on my Walther catalog request to answer e-mail (it's going on 5 or 6 weeks now and no catalog...).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts