Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This seems REALLY odd to me... what do you folks think?

The 1911forum thread about a Kimber in 9mm going full auto that mentions a similar event with 2 different P99s...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I've only seen and experienced this with a Walther P99 Striker pistol. When it first happened to me was at the range after about 7000 round in that pistol. Two shots went off with one trigger pull. Did not happened again, for a while.

A good friend who purchase a bi-tone of the same model, came to me with the same story, and I mentioned that it happend to me, he wasn't going crazy. the follwoing week, we both went to the range and just as he started to shoot, his walther P99 fell to the concrete range floor, and went off! not once but twice!!! once when it hit the floor and the second when the recoil sent that gun flying to the edge of the floor and wall.

We both properly dispose of these weapons!!!!

BTW: the second round miss me buy 3 feet!

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Odd odd odd,.....
also do I wanna know how he knows the 2nd round missed him by 3 feet?
If they had any brains... and I mean both of them had any brains whatsoever.. and the claims would be real..... they would have contacted S&W and sent the P99's in for inspection.....
Why do people with faulty firearms just "dispose" them....I wonder if they sold them to the next best guy that offered them money without telling them.... or just through it in the trash......
I find it strange that both of them had the same problem at the same time.... but thats just MHO.....

Mambro... if you want to forward my post to that member .. go for it.... I find it most irresponsible to just "dispose" a weapon like this,,, if his claims are valid......
I am not a 1911 owner and have no horse in the race ... so I won't sign up for the forum..... but sure would like to know how one can make such a bold statement.....
Now what I really would wanna know is, if those are both NJSP P99's....hahahah would be too funny in a bad way though....

·
Registered
525 Posts
The short trigger reset makes it very easy to pop off a 2nd shot on recoil if you aren't being careful with the trigger.  If I don't follow through with the trigger I can do it on my P99 and my s&w 1076.  Both are plausible.

As for the gun being dropped and firing twice, I think thats just a outright lie.  I just don't see it happening with the firing pin block.  If it were cocked and you tried to catch it as it fell, maybe.  I'm also no convinced a p99 not being held would eject and reload a new round either. This part of the story I just don't buy.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I do find that a bit difficult to belive. I was looking at my P99 to see if it was even possible and it is, but would require quite a bit of machine work to the slide. No, I wasn't actually going to do it, just curious about such things. You sure your buddy didn't bump fire his?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I did a lot or research before I decided on the P99. I am convinced that it is not possible to cause the gun to fire by dropping it.

It sounds like Bullocks to me.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Well I am really interested to find out about the drop safety on the P99. From what I know, this is not supposed to happen. But hey, pistols are just machines and any machine can break. As to full auto, a funny thing happened tonight at my weekly shoot...a new guy was using a Glock when it went full-auto. No bump fire here. We stopped the match and one the range officers test fired it and yup...full-auto. Guy said he put a lighter connector, 3.5lb in it but he is going to have to take it to a local Glock armorer to check it out.

So which one of you guys is gonna email Walther in Germany to ask them about this...I did the last one on the +P ammo...

·
Registered
232 Posts
No need, they are mechanically different. A good friend of mine who is a hard core Glock guy and I spent a long time comparing them. I really should have taken photos at that time but I was a bit preoccupied. I'll try to snap some comparative photos this weekend. While the P99 and the Glock are mechanically similar, the P99 is a more refined system.

The way Glocks go full auto, as in Glocks like the G18, is that there's a tab on the back plate sticking into the gun. As the slide slams home the tab drops the trigger bar and that releases the striker. Since the slide has already struck home the striker was pulled back by the trigger already.

The P99, the piece of the trigger system tha pulls the striker back is not on the trigger bar. That means that once the trigger bar is dropped, the striker cocker is released and then sits in front of the trigger bar. The striker cannot be released again untill the trigger bar is reset because the trigger and the striker are no longer connected. Incidentally, the striker cocker rides on its own suspension which should prevent it from inadvertantly recocking onto the trigger bar. As I said, to get the P99, at least with the QA trigger, to go full auto would require extensive modification to the slide. You'd need to mill out a groove that would allow the strike cocker to come up sooner in the slide's travel. You would also need to install a pin to recock it onto the trigger bar as the slide and barrel are locked up, but before the slide has finished traveling forward. As soon as the slide got home the trigger bar would be dropped and the cycle could start over.

This information is for educational purposes only, don't try it unless you're a Class 2 manufacturer or have a deep desire for federal prison and the permanant removal of your rights to own firearms...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts