Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range yesterday to break in a NIB G27. Brought along a XD/9, and also the P99. The 99 had by far the worst trigger pull of the three, not even close. The 99 is a 9MM, and is about four years old. Has maybe 500 rounds through it. It's not the QA trigger, but the standard. Are there any aftermarket triggers which can be installed????I love the way the gun handles, and feels in the hand, but the trigger is horrendous.....

·
Registered
229 Posts
You must be referring to the first shot double action trigger pull, correct? If so, that's completely normal to be somewhat heavy.

The single action trigger pull on both of my P99s is nice and crisp and measure slightly over 5 pounds. Brand new, right out of the box, the SA triggers in both pistols were a bit gritty feeling, but have smoothed out quite nicely after a few hundred rounds.

·
Registered
69 Posts
A new trigger or a new spring ?? What exactly do you not like about it ?? The DA pull ?? THe SA pull ?? It's plastic ?? It's German ? It's errr... ??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DA/SA, doesn't matter, they're both terrible. It feels like you're breaking a string of twigs trying to figure out when it'll go boom. If the rest of the gun wasn't so nice, i'd worry. maybe the next time I shoot, I'll bring just the 99. Maybe part of the problem is switching between several guns at one session. If nothing else, it sure is nice to look at!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just picked up a G17 and broke it in a week ago.  My P99 trigger is head over heels better than the Glock trigger.  My P99 does have a few thousand rounds through it tho, plus a Glock 5.5# striker spring, so that may help.  YMMV

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I also find the Glock trigger to be crappy.  To me its too spongy.  The P99's is nice an crisp.

Maybe you have some crap in the trigger mechanism.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I shouldn't say it, but I'm going to anyway.

That's like comparing apples to oranges.

The correct comparison would be between the standard Glock trigger to the Walther P99 QA trigger.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I may give her a second chance tomorrow. I have to qualify a new officer in the AM, and maybe I'll do some shooting beforehand......

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah, I dont' get the SA criticism... it's very short and crisp.

And do you really want to know when it's going to break/fire ?? Stay on target and it shouldn't matter.

My biggest problem as a new shooter is anticipation of firing... the P99 SA is so short and crisp it's like a dream for me. My only gun until now was my PM9, so I've had more than enough DA trigger for a while...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Darth, you are !00% correct. The gun firing should be a complete surprise, that way you're not anticipating the recoil. I should have chosen my words more carefully. I got my new partner qualified today with the semi auto, and shotgun. He doesn't carry a BUG (yet!!!), so it didn't take too long. I also qualified another RO on the new course from OPOTA (Ohio). When my new dept gets finished, I'll have a nice computerized 5 bay range. With some practice, I should be able to master the 99's trigger!!!PS. I see that the only pistol you shoot is the 99...Not a bad idea. I shoot too many different pistols, that may be part of my problem...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts