Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From a different forum...You can also move the P99 trigger system into the PPQ frame, although if your P99 trigger bar guide is not the adjustable set screw you may not be able to adjust it to work perfectly. "
Has anyone done this? I鈥檝e read the PPQ and P99 are the same gun.馃徎

Premium Member
Yes you can. But you'd probably want to move the P99 sear housing assembly as well.....and even the P99 striker. But you still don't have a de-cocker on the PPQ, so how are you going to load a round and de-cocker the striker to set the trigger into DA mode?

Here's a picture of one of my Magnum Research MR9's. I ordered a P99AS trigger assembly and sear housing. Put hose into an extra PPQ frame I had laying around, put the MR9 slide assembly on worked the trigger a few times, to see where I was at, then removed the side, used an allen wrench to adjust the trigger bar guide reassemble, try the trigger again...made progress. Did another 2 or 3 adjustments until I had it 'just right'. So, now I've got a MR9 with PPQ M2 frame and P99AS trigger and sear assembly. Operates just like a P99, as the MR also has a de-cocker.

Now, why would I do all that? Simple, the Magnum research frame, although made/supplied by Walther is just a little bit different (on the outside) and this little change inhibited the use of this pistol in my Safariland P99Q holster. I swapped frames and the combo fit into the holster.

Registered
Only swapping a P99 trigger and trigger bar into a PPQ, should leave you with an AS-mode-only pistol. You could tune the pre-travel to have more or less weight only by using stronger or weaker trigger return springs. The adjustable trigger bar guide is unnecessary for function here.

If you are trying to make it so the PPQ functions as a SA/DA pistol, you would need to swap the sear housing as well, and like imaoldfart stated, there would be no easy or safe way to decock the pistol. I could see just one benefit from this, in being that the pistol would have a second strike capability. You would need the adjustable trigger bar guide for this.

Another option, and one that I wish Walther would make, would be to use a PPQ striker assembly in a P99AS, and to cut the tab on the top of the single action lever. This would leave you with an AS-mode-only pistol, where the decocker would act like a "striker block" for safer holstering.

There are a lot of different options with these pistols if you choose to mix and match parts, and all would have the same SA trigger break and short reset, but being that I only carry stock pistols, there is no way I'd ever use one of these pistols for defense. Looking at the design, either one of these combinations should be safe from a mechanical standpoint, though trying to decock one of these pistols without having a decocker present should be considered extremely dangerous.

Registered
Three part question...

Would installing a PPQ sear housing and trigger in a p99QA frame work or be beneficial?
If so, Would changing the striker to an AS striker work or be beneficial?

I have a Complete QA, in box, on the way, and an AS slide and parts on the way.
(Parts I'm Currently in possession of: empty p99 frame and internals for PPQ match, complete sw99 slide)

Third question, Would an AS striker installed in a QA pistol work or yeild an SA only pistol with decocker?

Thanks

Registered
We by them from other people and GunBroker on occasion...

Reactions: Mikebaker1129

Registered
Only swapping a P99 trigger and trigger bar into a PPQ, should leave you with an AS-mode-only pistol. You could tune the pre-travel to have more or less weight only by using stronger or weaker trigger return springs. The adjustable trigger bar guide is unnecessary for function here.

If you are trying to make it so the PPQ functions as a SA/DA pistol, you would need to swap the sear housing as well, and like imaoldfart stated, there would be no easy or safe way to decock the pistol. I could see just one benefit from this, in being that the pistol would have a second strike capability. You would need the adjustable trigger bar guide for this.

Another option, and one that I wish Walther would make, would be to use a PPQ striker assembly in a P99AS, and to cut the tab on the top of the single action lever. This would leave you with an AS-mode-only pistol, where the decocker would act like a "striker block" for safer holstering.

There are a lot of different options with these pistols if you choose to mix and match parts, and all would have the same SA trigger break and short reset, but being that I only carry stock pistols, there is no way I'd ever use one of these pistols for defense. Looking at the design, either one of these combinations should be safe from a mechanical standpoint, though trying to decock one of these pistols without having a decocker present should be considered extremely dangerous.
I have a lot of p99as parts including everything, EXCEPT the trigger bar guide.
I have a complete PPQ sear block.

If I install the PPQ sear block will it still function as a "proper" p99 with da/sa capability?

Attachments

Registered
Anyone know if you can swap the trigger shoe from a PPQ to a P99? The only thing I don't like about the P99 is the tight trigger shoe curvature, it's uncomfortable for me and downright annoying for my dad (he has bear paws)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts