Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

After taking a class at the Firearms Academy of Seattle a couple of weeks ago, I began to notice small problem in my P99's trigger.  In the long SA mode, I now feel a "catch" about halfway between the fully forward location and the SA set point.  I can't feel it in DA, but that might simply be because the pull is so much heavier.

The pistol has 600 rounds of mostly Winchester White Box through it, and is regularly cleaned (field stripped, Hoppe's for the barrel/slide then oil). Perhaps I have some crud on a trigger mecahnism surface.  How would I clean that?  Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Additionally, I wanted to relate some problems I had during the class.  I'm a complete novice - those 600 rounds through the P99 are the only pistol rounds I've every fired.  At the class (FAS-1, which was not only instructive, but also great fun) we did a series of reload drills.  What bothered me was the long SA pull after reloading from slide lock.  I'm more or less used to the DA/SA transition, but had never really thought much about the long SA mode.  Well, every time we did that, I pressed way too hard, expecting DA since the trigger was forward.  Needless to say, I threw every shot.  I suppose that more practice will solve that, but wondered if anyone else was distracted by that mode.

To be honest, I'm now a bit confused about why the long SA even exists.  If you carry with a round in the chamber and decocked (as I assume most do) then then only time you'd see that mode would be during a reload.  Help me understand what that buys you.

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Chris

·
Registered
263 Posts
Welcome to the board!

Could you describe this catch feeling you are getting iwth the SA trigger forward in more detail?  

I agree that the SA forward trigger can be distracting, especially since it catches at the rearward set point instead of pulling back smoothly all the way until it fires.  Whenever I reload, the first thing I do after I release the slide and chamber a new round is to point the weapon downrange and set the trigger to the rear again.

The long SA trigger forward pull is part of the P99's anti-stress trigger to keep accidental discharges to a minimum.  The logic is that if you carry chambered and cocked the chance of an accidental discharge is less with a longer trigger pull.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ni3Frontier,

There is basically is very short duration increase in the pressure required to move the trigger.  It literally feels like there is small bump - I can also feel it if I let the trigger back out.

I've been looking back through some old posts and wonder if it might be time to do the Simple Green dunk.  Maybe it's just really dirty.

Thanks for your reply.

-cjg

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yes, I would try a full cleaning first and see if that helps.

But;
I shoot nothing but Winchester White Box 9mm in my P99 DA/SA. I've fired about 1200 rounds through mine. I fire 100 - 150 rds per range trip. After every trip I clean the barrel and frame with cloth swabs soaked in cleaner/lubricant and get every crevice that I can. I also put a drop of oil into all of the moving joints and springs. I have never had any problems and I have never immersed the frame into Simple Green or anything else.

I am wary of sinking my entire frame into Simple Green. I think it would strip the lubricant off of places where it would be hard to reapply it to. I also am not too keen on the idea of dunking the metal parts in the frame into water to rinse off the cleaner. Just MHO though

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
cjg,

Are you sure this isn't the normal functioning of the trigger? The long SA pull will "click" into short SA pull and lock there.

Let us know what happens after you clean it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
P88,

Thanks for your reply.  I've probably done a poor job explaining.  The hiccup occurs right BETWEEN the fully forward trigger location and the point at which the trigger sets (or "clicks" as you say) into the SA location.  If I continue to press the trigger past the rough spot, it does set in the SA location just like before.  No other problems with the trigger at all.  From the SA location on until it releases the striker, it is very smooth.

Though I didn't dunk the frame, I gave it a very good Q-tip cleaning (I was amazed how much residue I got off the trigger parts).  Unfortunately, the problem is still there.  After some more careful searching, I've found two other threads that seem to deal with the same problem:

http://www.gothammarketing.com/ikon....1;t=615

http://www.gothammarketing.com/ikon....=1;t=43  -  (look at P99's reply about halfway down the page - I think this is exactly what I'm experiencing).

I was just thinking how nice and smooth the trigger had become after 500 rounds, then this suddenly came up right at the end of the class.  I think it's clean, and I'd never encountered this bump/catch/hiccup/rough-spot in the past.

At any rate, the pistol is still under warranty, so I'll probably send it back to S&W for them to take a look at.

Thanks everybody.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
cjg,

From the posts that I read about the guy who took his P99 to Earl and Earl fixed it in 2 minutes, I would bet that it is a cleaning issue.

Did you check the space in between the trigger bar and the frame? Maybe there's a piece of crud in there.

Devin

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
P88,

I'll check that out.  Before I send it in, I'll put a hundred rounds through it - who knows, maybe cycling it a bunch will clear it up.  I'll also give the frame a real bath.

Thanks.

-Chris

·
Registered
62 Posts
At the top of the trigger, as viewed from the side of the assembled gun, there is a pin that can walk out to the left (as viewed from the back).

If it walks, it hangs up on the frame for a moment before the trigger completes its motion.

Check the pin. If it is walking ,you can push it back with a small punch and a tiny hammer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts