Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a p99 in 40 S&W I sold because it didnt seem to be very accurate and the trigger killed my trigger finger on recoil. Part of the discomfort came from the hot 40 caliber, but also there was pinching occuring behind the raised portion of the trigger guard. I shot some Sigs and Barettas at the range in 9mm and had no problem, so I looked at a P99 in 9mm. When dry firing it I noticed the same familiar problem, pinching of the trigger finger. Unfortunately I they dont have one for rent I can try. I have thin fingers, but the trigger finger seems cramped in the trigger.
I noticed in earlier photos of P99's that they had a straighter trigger with less curvature. My question are:

1. why did they go to the more curved trigger.
2. Is there another trigger I can buy to help correct my problem.

I really love the P99 in every other respect, but the trigger is keeping me from buying one.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I haven't heard of another trigger that you can swap it out with. As for a 9mm, both calibers have pretty much the same frame so if you have problems with one, you'll probably have problems with the other. I have both and I an experiencing what you are talking about as well but the 9mm is not as bad because of the lighter recoil.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A shooter at the range told me the same story with a P99 in 9mm (sorry for you but I think too it does not depend on the caliber ). He wanted to perform what NI3 frontier suggest but finally he sold it for a glock and has no regrets, he said while crying

It depends on the size of your finger and how it comes on the trigger. The other backstraps (bigger) will change your finger position but you might loose comfort. The bump on the trigger guard is in cause as you say.
This problem happens only in DA I think because the backlash is very small in SA, is your P99 a QA model ?
A longer trigger (+1,5mm) might be the answer to your problem but as Gnote said, I have'nt seen this kind of accesorie yet  

For my Manurhin 357, I've bought a little piece a striated metal you can screw on the original trigger to make in larger.
(I'm unable to attach the .jpg file but I will send it to you if you write me an email)
A good gunsmith could do a longer one for a P99 I hope...

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would be afraid to alter my frame, but I think that is a good idea. Now I do remeber most of the problem was in double action mode, I didn't think of that. I may still decide to try the 9mm with less recoil, it's between that and a Sig 239. I was hoping someone know of the straighter trigger I saw in earlier pictures.

Thanks

·
Registered
231 Posts
I tracked the finger pinching that was occurring with my P99 to the mag release buttons.

I simply sanded them down flush or slightly below the trigger guard, rounded the end then polished the part that was sanded for a factory appearance.  It worked perfectly and minimal material was removed.

·
Registered
231 Posts
600 then 1000 grit to get the shape I wanted. I then used some plastic polish to finish it up. You need to remove the magazine release buttons by removing the roll pin which attaches them to the frame. It's really easy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I always have a problem with my finger rubbing that "hump" in the trigger guard, just below the trigger in CKW's picture.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ooops! GOt "trigger" happy. Anyway, can that hump I mentioned in ym previous post be sanded down without causing a problem???

·
Registered
29 Posts
So that hump in the trigger guard can be filed down as well? How???

·
Registered
43 Posts
I do not see why the hump in the trigger guard would be a difficult or risky job. I would start with a small flat file to get rid of the material quickly, and finish with some paper to smooth it up. Seems like an easy and worthwhile modification.

·
Registered
263 Posts
In a DA/SA P99, isn't it possible to put the weapon into SA mode, trigger rearward, to do this?

With the weapon unloaded (of course!), if you rack the slide thereby cocking the striker, you have put the weapon into SA mode with the trigger forward. If you pullthe trigger to the point where it starts from in SA mode with the trigger rearward, will the trigger stay in this position when your finger is removed? To put this question another way; is firing a live round the only way to put the trigger into SA rearward position?

I would think that this procedure would be easy if the trigger could be put in the rearward position.

·
Registered
29 Posts
So bybon, you do it first and let me know how it feels and works.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the responses, Update, I was able to test fire a P99 9mm and it had GREAT accuracy. Same trigger problem, and I narrowed it down, the bottom of the trigger curves up and bites my finger right on the bottom side of the finger nail. I tried moving to the first nuckle, but my accuracy diminished (in single action mode of course). I think a straighter trigger is the answer, but that doesnt seem to be an option at this time. I will try to contact Walther and see if they have a solution. Or, I can just tough it out. I had surgery on my trigger finger tendon a while ago and it just may be that I am too sensitive. Thanks again for the responses.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nice try Hizzoner. Fortunately I do not have a problem regarding that particular feature. However, I have an area I have found unfriendly on this pistol. Why it was designed as it was, I do not know.

·
Registered
29 Posts
banddr2: I, too, thought my problem was the trigger. But on closer examination, it was the hump in the trigger guard.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts