Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

First off this is my first post.  The following description of what may be a problem is confusing at best, but I will give it a try.  

I recently purchased a LNIB Walther P99 9mm.  I kicked myself everyday when I sold my first p99 a few years back.

Here is my problem.  I dry fired my P99 a couple of times when I got it home.  I noticed that every once in a while when in SA mode I could pull the trigger slowly to the breaking point and I would hear a click,  the red indicator would slowly move back forward with considerable spring pressure.  It is almost like the handgun became decocked just by my slowly pulling the trigger.  Now, when this occurs I can continue to pull the trigger back with more pressure and it will fire, but like it was in DA mode with the DA mode trigger pull weight.  It is very strange and I don't remember my previous P99 doing this.    

Does this description make any sense?  

Thanks in advance for any input.

PBramlett

·
Registered
263 Posts
This seems very strange indeed. I have a 9mm P99 DA/SA model too. Even when I try my best to move the trigger back as slowly as possible in SA mode, it breaks crisply and the striker drops properly.

The first thing I would do is disassemble your pistol and look at the moving parts on the frame. If you hold the frame in your hand and look down at the top and move the trigger you'll see 2 prongs moving in unison on the right side of the magazine well. These release the firing pin block. Look for wear on these two prongs.

Also, looking down at the top of the frame, when you pull the trigger all the way back a small prong behind the magazine well moves. Check this small part for wear as well. I am pretty sure that this is the part that releases the striker. I would bet that there is a problem here.

If not, look at the slide. Towards the rear of the pisol is a silver rectangular block connected to the striker. Check that block for strange wear.

To the left and rear of the barrel's locking lugs is a small circular shaped silver part with a raised tab. This is the firing pin block that those two prongs mentioned earlier manipulate. You might want to check these as well though I doubt you'll have problems in this area.

I know this really isn't much help without pictures from a properly functioning P99 to reference but I am at my folk's place for the weekend with only dial-up. I can try to post some pics when I get back up to a cable connection on Sunday. I hope this helps in some way.

-Yoshi

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ni3,

Thank you for the reply. I have checked for any abnormal wear. The only place that is questionable is the striker.  If you could post a close up pic of that, I would appreciate it.  I have been unable to locate a picture online, or on this board of what it should look like.  

Thanks,

Pbramlett

·
Registered
263 Posts
pbramlett,
These images are the striker area on the slide from my 9mm P99. Look in particular at the small angled area at the front of the striker (the second pic has an arrow pointing to it).

Make sure that all the edges have defined angles. There are no rounded areas on this part.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ni3,

Thanks for the pics. What I thought was the problem was normal. I also went to a local shop and inspected a new p99.

I called Earl's repair service, as well as Waltheramerica and they suggested that it was the triggerbar guide, or part number 17 of the owners manual exploded diagram. Both seemed to be confident of this. I could not tell or see any wear or breaks on this part but we will see.

Thanks for your help,

Pbramlett

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think it's the trigger assembly that's not right. Check the trigger assembly (part no.24) for any bend or dent. Part no. 17 is the trigger bar guide , check for misalignment or any possible obstruction inside (dirt accumulation ). Also check part no.16 or the trigger spring , for improperly placed hook and/or for any binding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sent P99 to Earls and he replaced part 17. All works and feels great now.

Had a great experience dealing with Earl. Sent on Monday, got my p99 back on Wednesday.

Thanks for all of the help and safe shooting to all.

Pbramlett

1 - 8 of 8 Posts