Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my P99 QA .40 at the range and was doing rapid fire double tap drills. I have put only about 350 rounds through the gun, as I got it new this month. One time the trigger failed to reset. The gun fired normally, but the trigger felt "funny". I was shooting as fast as possible when this happened. A round had been loaded in the chamber as normal, but the trigger was de-cocked and usless. I had to pull the slide back to re-set the striker and set the trigger. Is this a common problem with the QA? Is it caused somehow by short stroking the trigger in rapid fire? Clearly this is a big problem if it is a common thing. Thanks for the input peeps.

·
Registered
141 Posts
i heard two cases like yours in QA not AS but is not big deal

maybe is one of kind or one in a million issues not important i guess.

take your gun to a local dealer and chek it out if you want.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Best guess would be that the round didn't have enough recoil to properly cycle the gun. Were you limp wristing it or anything like that? What rounds were you shooting? The new ones need a bit of time to break in properly to. Mine got alot smoother after feeding a few hundred rounds through it. I'm probably at the 1000 round mark, and I've only had it 2 1/2 weeks so I'm no expert. But you may want to try out different ammo too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[b said:
Quote[/b] (toeball @ June 29 2005,10:57)]Best guess would be that the round didn't have enough recoil to properly cycle the gun. Were you limp wristing it or anything like that? What rounds were you shooting? The new ones need a bit of time to break in properly to. Mine got alot smoother after feeding a few hundred rounds through it. I'm probably at the 1000 round mark, and I've only had it 2 1/2 weeks so I'm no expert. But you may want to try out different ammo too.
I was using blazer 165, a rather Hot load. It had plenty of pop to cycle the gun. The next round was loaded properly, but the trigger was not re-set. I have never had a limp wrist problem with any other pistol, so I doubt that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Navy87Guy @ June 29 2005,11:07)]Any chance that in your "hurry" you hit the decocking lever? That would cause the problem you described. Not likely -- but possible.
The decocker on my 04 QA is #### near impossible to press when you want to, so no way hit it when firing. Plus I am left handed, so my right hand was no wear near the decocker.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I'd go try it again and see if it happens again. I've never had that happen and haven't got any ideas, besides the ones already stated.

Perhaps some crud got in the trigger mechanism and didn't allow it to recock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a similar problem with my new QA. The trigger wouldn’t come all the way forward after every shot. It got to the point I needed to pull the trigger forward to reengage it. I checked what I could and extensively cleaned it but after 600 rounds I sent to S&W for warranty work. I got it back yesterday after a month with it gone and took it out today. I shot 200 rounds but within the first 50 it did it again. I figure I’ll put a few 100 more rounds through it to see what happens before making any decisions. S&W replaced the sear block.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Something else that occured to me, may be worth looking at. I lubricated the trigger plate and the sear assembly with a q-tip and toothpick to make sure to work the oil in well. It made a huge difference in trigger feel. May not fix it but it may be worth a shot (pardon the pun).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Henry,
It ain't you!! It ain't the ammo!!!  It is Walther!!!

I had the same problem last year. I had to send it back twice.

I wish I could remember the guy's last name at S&W, but you want to talk to one of their guys in service named Jeff. He is their expert.

Jeff knows all. Anyone else will tell you that they've never heard of this problem.

Henry, you HAVE to send it back. If you carry for self defense, the pistol is totally unreliable until the problem is understood by S&W, and they say, "Oh, ok, we know what it is." And then they say they've fixed it.  Then shoot a thousand rounds to be sure.

The trigger is such that it requires you to let it come alway back to the reset position, but this is not the problem you're experiencing. You have a round in the chamber, as I did, and you pull the trigger  and nothing happens. You can actually push the trigger forward with you finger and it will then reset.

Good luck and let me know if I can help.

I am convinced that people will get hurt and/or die due to this very dangerous problem!!!!!

Henry, until this problem is fixed, you have a single shot pistol at the very best.

carloponti

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[b said:
Quote[/b] (carloponti @ July 02 2005,09:27)]Henry,
It ain't you!! It ain't the ammo!!!  It is Walther!!!

I had the same problem last year. I had to send it back twice.
Thanks for the feedback Carlo. It is very worrysome to have a pistol that might fail in this manner. I put another 100 rounds through it today without problems. But knowing you have had the same issue does give me pause. I think I will give 'ol Jeff a call after the holiday and see if he will send me a shipping label. Thanks for the tip.

H4

1 - 12 of 12 Posts