Walther Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,
Today it was finally warm enough to go outside with just a t-shirt. I went to the range with a friend and carried the P99 as I always do at the 8:30 position (I'm a lefty). I carry in a Comp-Tac CTAC IWB holster.

I asked him if it printed. Even when standing up doing nothing the bottom of the grip would print. I wear shirts that are larger than my actual size. Walking, bending over, gusts of wind from the rear, and any number of other things made this a serious problem for concealed carry. I am a small guy (5'6", 125lbs) so I think that makes concealment more difficult for me.

I have been meaning to get a new pistol, but I wasn't expecting to buy for a few months. Is there anything I can do now with my P99 when I carry to avoid printing when wearing just a t-shirt? If it comes down to it, I guess I would bite down and just get a compact handgun in the next few weeks. Money spent is money spent whether its now or later, right? (That thought has gotten me into trouble in the past
)

-Thanks!
-Yoshi

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Try wearing a larger T-Shirt.

Also, I'm not too worried about it, because most people will never see it. Most people don't look down at someones waist line and can recognize a pistol printing inside a T-Shirt. Those who can, are probably carrying themselves. I've had a gun on in an OWB holster and was amazed at how many people didn't even notice.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I carry in a Sidearmor IWB, it was 90+ degrees today.
Try a heavier weave shirt, like a pique Polo shirt, in a medium color, like blue or red, avoid white or real light colors.
It also helps if your shoulders are wider than your mid-section.
Walk like you don't have a care in the world, nobody ever notices.
I carry this way while teaching CCW courses, and I've yet to have anyone notice until after I tell them about it at the end of the first 8 hour day. People are naturally oblivious.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I went the other way Ni3... I got a compact 9mm for pocket carry (PM9) and now I'm dying to get a full size (P99). You just can't win.

I would wait longer, but I don't want the new style... so I need to buy it now I guess, or I'll regret it for a long time most likely. Sigh... I really needed a second job anyway...

And yeah, on the printing/noticing... I agree with the other guys. People are oblivious in general. I wore some work pants with my PM9 in the pocket today and the pocket was hanging open so you could see in if you wanted too (doesn't do this in all the other stuff I wear)... sort of freaked me, but I realize I was probably drawing more attention by looking down at it and putting my hand over my pocket. I just let go and no worries... (or people saw it and knew not to mess with me, works either way I figure)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everybody for your replies!

I agree with everybody that peoples' awareness is lacking. I guess I am making a bigger deal out of it because I know it is there and I know what it is. I didn't really consider what the average Joe would think of it. I am thinking now that if he thinks anything of it, it would probably be thought of as a cell phone or something.

I will try a heavier shirt but it may get as hot to do that has to put an open button-up type shirt over a t-shirt. I have no problems concealing that way. It won't get uncomfortably hot for a few months I hope. I can't really wear a bigger shirt than the ones I do now without looking like those highschool thug kids

I'll try out these suggestions the next time I carry.

Thanks!
-Yoshi

·
Registered
229 Posts
Sometimes, if I am concerned about printing, I wear a loose fitting, untucked T-shirt with a loose fitting Hawaiian-type print shirt over that. The bolder the print (of the shirt), the more it disguises the printing (of the gun).

Also, have you considered a SmartCarry holster. Mine gets a lot of use; I love it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hay Ni3, remember it says concelled carry not invisable carry.
I quit wearing T shirts and started wearing the flat cut bottom button up shirts. Seldom noticeable. But I carry in a high noon IWB with cant holster. it has a tounge comeing off the front of the holster that really helps hold the cant and keeps it tight to you.
But that being said, my lil PM9 is one really easy concelled pistol IWB. but is alittle big for the pocket on most jeans unless you lay it flat along the pocket bottom. But then it's really hard to get out.
It's kinda funny, the more pistols I carry, the easier the ol LGWT 1911 Colt Commander gets to carry.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JBA,
Thanks for the advice. I have taken to carrying with a button-up shirt over my t-shirt and it has helped greatly with the printing issues. If its warmer I just wear the button-up shirt w/o t-shirt and it works just fine.
That is as long as I am upright and the wind is calm. The moment I bend forward or crouch down it sticks out like a sore thumb. This is difficult to control especially when I'm out shopping and crouching and bending is common.
I'll hopefully take a liking to the P99C when it comes out and I hope that it will help with these issues.

-Yoshi

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi ya Ni3. One thing else you may want to try is carry the pistol alittle lower iwb. you might just want to mexican it to try and see if it prints when you carry it lower. Some holsters carry kinda high and print preaty easy. some carry lower and print less, but they may be alittle harder to quick draw from.
Every thing in carring is a trade off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Smartcarry works very well. I can wear a tight tshirt and shorts and carry a fullsize p99 with spare clip with no one the wiser.
If it gets out of position, it can look like you have two right hips though...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JBA, Wingnut357
Thanks for your replies. I have my Comp-Tac IWB holster set up to sit as low as possible. I have not tried other methods of carry yet. For the moment I wear different clothing when I carry to help me conceal better. I generally wear a button up shirt, not tucked in when I carry. If its a little cooler I'll wear a t-shirt and an open button up shirt. So far this is working well for me. But I plan to get a more compact handgun within the next few weeks.

-Yoshi

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't blame you Yoshi. I love my P99, and it carries well for a near full-size gun, but it is not my daily carry piece. I have a compact 1911 for that. However, almost anything you carry is going to print with a t-shirt. Good luck.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
txjeep,
I'm thinking of just that - a compact 1911. What kind do you have? I've been looking at a Springfield Armory Loaded Ultra Compact.

-Yoshi

1 - 14 of 14 Posts