Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was getting ready for Christmas so I just finished cleaning and putting my 99's away for the weekend. I usually clean them all at once and I was just reflecting upon just how simple it is to take this pistol down. Now the only autos I have fooled with have been the 1911 and the P99 and P22. I was wondering, those of you who have more varied experience with different pistols, just how does the Walther compare to the likes of Glocks, Sigs, Hk's ect...when it comes to taking these pistols down for cleaning.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Glock is almost the same. You pull a little bar down, pull the trigger and it comes right off.

Beretta, flip a lever and push a button on the other side at the same time, and the slide comes right off.

1911s w/ guide rods are the biggest pain to take apart and put together - mainly put together.

·
Registered
45 Posts
1911, P99, XD, HK & Sigs are all pretty easy to take down. The biggest PIA that I have is the P22 with the 5" barrel. MKII is a bit of a pain on re-assembly but not bad.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Most modern pistols are pretty easy to field strip, even a 1911A1. I think the real test is how easy it is to detail strip them: e.g. striker assembly on Glocks and the P99, trigger assembly on the Beretta 92, decocker on the SIG classic series. They all have their quirks. I find that my Walther P99C compares favorably with the Beretta 92/96 series and the SIG P228 (classic-series). I am certainly extra careful about punching roll-pins out with the polymer frame of the P99C.

Isn't modern machining technology great? The ability to strip a fairly complex semi-auto pistol down to the individual components, replace any worn ones, then put it all together in a matter of hours--maybe minutes for you Glock-shooters--is simply amazing.

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, etc. to all you Forum members!

ciadst

1 - 4 of 4 Posts