Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the help!

I called Walther Arms and ordered a replacement striker assembly. It's $91.63 delivered! But I needed it to get my P99 back into operation. Lesson learned; always use snap caps when dry firing.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks for the help!

I called Walther Arms and ordered a replacement striker assembly. It's $91.63 delivered! But I needed it to get my P99 back into operation. Lesson learned; always use snap caps when dry firing.
I'm curious what failed on the original part, and what happened for you to notice. There's been a discussion about striker sleeves failing (mine did, though it hadn't yet affected function) on PPS pistols but I haven't heard much about failures in P99's.

The P99 was my very first pistol, bought in 2004. It has had a lot of rounds through it and been dryfired/decocked countless times. After inspection revealed a crack in my PPS Striker assembly, I detail stripped my P99 for cleaning and inspection as well and noted no exceptions.

That's a pricey part, but I noticed the PPS assembly that Walther sent me under warranty was listed at $76.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Nova231: The tip of the striker broke off. The gun failed to fire the next time I went to shoot it.
Edit: The P99 striker assembly is about $80. Shipping to CA was the extra cost.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Nova231: At best I fired 150 rounds through the pistol. I dry fired it several hundred times. The trigger was well broken in, just broke the firing pin in the process.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Me too. My PPS striker assembly was just replaced under warranty. My P99 has had thousands through it and I don't know how many dry-fires and decocks. No issue so far. Hope the replacement assembly gives you a lot more service life!

·
Registered
705 Posts
@Nova231: At best I fired 150 rounds through the pistol. I dry fired it several hundred times. The trigger was well broken in, just broke the firing pin in the process.
I was under the impression that the P99 could be dry fired without snap caps safely.

I wonder what caused the failure.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just a thought, but I noticed there's a lot of Smith and Wesson 99 parts coming up for sale right now. if you buy a sw99 slide with the striker still installed you could probably get a pretty good deal! I think I picked mine up, a mostly complete slide minus the barrel, on eBay for 25 bucks a couple months ago... Just a thought.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Didn't think to look at gunbroker. There's a bunch of SW99 stuff in there. My gun is an SW99 with a Walther manufactured frame assembly. The P99 striker assembly works fine in the SW99's slide. S&W wanted the gun sent back for warranty work but I didn't want to wait weeks for the fix. I may try to score a 9mm slide assembly which will hopefully work as a cheap 9mm conversion and a backup source for a spare striker assembly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts