Walther Forums banner

P99 Striker Assembly in PPQ

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  olstyn 
#1 ·
Hi all I was wondering if anyone who has done the swap detailed here could tell me if they've used it, does it make the PPQ function similar to the way with the PPS MM2 that when trigger is beginning to be depressed you feel the striker start to come out and and you can keep the weapon from firing by keeping your thumb pushed down on the striker/indicator? Or does the indicator/striker not really come out far enough for that or does the curved end plate make that kind of impossible? I was thinking this might be a useful additional safety feature for carrying my PPQ. Again, I rather like the way it works out on the PPS M2, though for the PPS I note the end plate is flat and doesn't have that curved indent.

#2 ·
does it make the PPQ function similar to the way with the PPS MM2 that when trigger is beginning to be depressed you feel the striker start to come out and and you can keep the weapon from firing by keeping your thumb pushed down on the striker/indicator?
Negative. The PPQ is basically a P99 that operates in a fully cocked, single action only mode at all times. Swapping in a P99 striker and back plate would simply cause the striker to protrude from the rear of the gun the maximum amount at all times when a round is chambered. Since it doesn't have to pull back any farther to fire, pushing your thumb on it will do nothing to stop the gun from firing.

#4 · (Edited)
Both the PPS and Glocks outfitted with a striker control device are both SAO but if keep your thumb pressed down on the control device/indicator and attempt to pull the trigger it after it's cocked it will prevent the trigger from breaking as you're preventing the striker from releasing. (If you've got a PPS go ahead and clear it and give it a try, it's kind of neat.) I'm asking because it seems like the P99 assembly with's it's indicator looks very similar to the PPS'. I was really hoping to hear from someone who's tried it though. I know from the post I liked it will work but it's really old and the OP for it hasn't been back here since 2013.

I feel like OP be better served with a hammer fired gun, like the SAO 1911 series or the DA/SA PPK.
Yeah that's a nice feature of a DA/SA with a hammer. I like this feature and the striker control device for glocks because it gives a similar functionality to striker fired pistols. Just seems like a "Why not" type of upgrade. As in, if it keeps all the good parts of a striker fired pistol why not install it if you can? It's not like a safety which has the down sides of making it more complicated to use in an emergency and it's an extra safety feature for re-holstering. And you get the pros a striker fired pistol in that the trigger pull doesn't change like a DA/SA. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. I may be picking up a DA/SA too, actually, but I also really like my PPQs. (I have 3...)

#6 ·
Okay then.... So, pick up a P99 striker and end cap, install in your PPQ and THEN play with the trigger. This seems to be the only way you'll come to realize what olstyn is telling you is correct. The PPQ stiker is fully cocked....pulling the trigger WILL NOT move the striker any father to the rear, it'll simply release the striker.

What you'll have is a 'visual' indicator that the striker is cocked (or not). And, if you're in the dark and can't see the 'red' end of the striker sticking thru the end cap, you can rub your thumb over the end cap to 'feel' whether the nub is sticking thru the end cap.

What this mod WILL NOT do is allow you to keep your thumb on the end cap, pressing with the strength of Superman, to keep you from pulling the trigger. THAT won't even work on a P99......your trigger finger and the mechanical linkage/advantage FAR exceeds the force you can apply to that little nub, with your thumb.

To reiterate, once the slide is moved rearward about 3/8" and back forward, the striker is FULLY cocked. Once the striker is cocked, pulling the trigger WILL NOT push the striker any farther to the rear. PERIOD.

Why not just buy a P99? The SA pull and reset on the P99 is every bit as good as the PPQ. And, you have the option of decocking the striker, resulting in a DA pull for your first shot...all followups will be in SA. And you have that little nub sticking thru the end cap for a visual reference.

#9 ·
Okay then.... So, pick up a P99 striker and end cap, install in your PPQ and THEN play with the trigger.
For that matter, if the OP lives near me, I'd be happy to meet up at a range - I'll bring my P99, he can bring his PPQ, and we'll do some (temporary) striker & endplate swapping so that he can see for himself how it works. I imagine other members would make similar offers, so where are you located, OP?

#7 ·
Another option you could look into to get the effect you want is an HK with the LEM trigger, which is a partially precocked DAO. In that way, it's kindof a hammer fired Glock. You can ride the hammer and feel it moving if the trigger is pressed, just like a DA/SA, but it has the same trigger pull every time. There's a few other designs like this out there if you're really interested, but no way to have that function on your PPQ.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.