Walther Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
while the DA is very good, mine can stack just before break - and their OT is a bit much - the ONLY real flaw in the gun. Still a VERY easy gun to shoot well. If it got rid of the OT and stacking and had an ambi slide release, it would be the best DA/SA gun available period - and STILL may be.

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
while the DA is very good, mine can stack just before break - and their OT is a bit much - the ONLY real flaw in the gun. Still a VERY easy gun to shoot well. If it got rid of the OT and stacking and had an ambi slide release, it would be the best DA/SA gun available period - and STILL may be.
I think your criticisms are valid as is your overall assessment that it is still one of the best DA/SA guns out there.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I think your criticisms are valid as is your overall assessment that it is still one of the best DA/SA guns out there.
Would love to see the AS trigger system in a Q5 steel frame.

A guy can dream, can't he?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
514 Posts
Walther COULD update this with minimal investment and make it GREAT - ambi slide release (small one - perfectly placed), front serrations, OD, FDE, and Black frames, upgrade grip texture. Then you have the perfect DA/SA. I would copy the geometry of the Kahr for the DA sear/striker - then the DA would be perfect.

·
Premium Member
13,800 Posts
In my conversion, I used the P99 slide. To make an P99 SF, you'd probably need to start with a Q4, then you could use the P99 slide.......gotta have that de-cocker.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
In my conversion, I used the P99 slide. To make an P99 SF, you'd probably need to start with a Q4, then you could use the P99 slide.......gotta have that de-cocker.
Yeah, there's no point to the P99 without the decocker. It would just be a PPQ with restrike capability.

I kind of wish Walther would update it to have a rear decocker like the HK P30 so you could mill the slide for an optical sight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Heretofore I had from time to time considered getting rid of my German Walther p99 because I never carried it because you have to shoot your first shot on double action and frankly that could get you killed if you miss or worse your shot went wide of the mark and you shot some innocent bystander. But now that I know the German guns are history I probably will never sell it and if I ever am forced to sell it I will be asking a kings ransom for it and probably get it too as people often panic and go wild with their money when they can no longer buy a gun because its been discontinued. I still shoot from time to time my P99 on the range even though I have never carried it and never will. I like it for a range gun.
I shoot P99 in IPSC, and you start from decocked. First shot is DA, and with the stress of the timeclock running (and I'm no longer fast on my feet), I never notice a difference between the first shot in DA and the second in SA. It might have to do with I also shoot Ruger GP100 in IPSC, so am used to double action, but I don't believe so. Slow target shooting, then yes, there's time to notice the DA/SA differences, but when the chips are down, you are too busy.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I shoot P99 in IPSC, and you start from decocked. First shot is DA, and with the stress of the timeclock running (and I'm no longer fast on my feet), I never notice a difference between the first shot in DA and the second in SA. It might have to do with I also shoot Ruger GP100 in IPSC, so am used to double action, but I don't believe so. Slow target shooting, then yes, there's time to notice the DA/SA differences, but when the chips are down, you are too busy.
Do you compete in the same class as other DA guns like CZs?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts