Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have fired less than 1000 rounds (standard loads and +p ammo) through my Walther P99 and already the slide to frame fit of the gun seems to have deteriorated, meaning it rattles very bad.
I dont know if this is common in all polymer handguns, especially the Walther.
Is this a cause for alarm or is this normal?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Oscar, your question is very subjective, since terms like "rattles very bad" don't really describe it well.  IOW, bad comapred to what?  My P99 'rattles' a bit when there is no loaded magazine in it, also, yet after 3000+ rounds, it's still a tack driver.

Keep in mind that the P99 is a 'combat' service sidearm.  It's not meant to be snug tight like a target match 1911.  If you can help us by elaborating more on what you perceive to be wrong with it, we might have more to go on, to help diagnose.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I meant was the slide to frame fit of the gun seem to have worsened than when it was new. I guess it is normal for combat guns, to make it function more reliably. The Walther p99 is an excellent gun.

·
Registered
411 Posts
My P99 Military is approaching 5000 rounds, of everything from +p Gold Dots, to NATO smg ammo, to cheap Winchester fmj. It has had zero malfunctions. The slide to frame fit is as tight as itwas on round #1. And at 10 yards, it will still tear a single ragged hole in the target.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My gun is a brand new 2003 P99 in 9mm. With an unloaded mag in the gun, if I hold the front of the slide and wobble it from side-to-side, there is about 1mm of play within the frame. Is this normal for these guns?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I'll have to check mine. That sounds reasonable though. Get back to you later today.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think I've got about 1mm of play (between both sides) on my 03 P99QA 9mm as well. Either way it's a tack driver and the gun I'm the most accurate with.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Just about 1mm. Although mine doesn't rattle, you have to move it intentionally.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I too have a bit of play in my 9mm P99. The side-to-side play of the slide and frame is about 1/2 mm. The weapon functions fantastically and is very accurate. I woulldn't worry about it unless your accuracy or function is affected.

-Yoshi

·
Registered
178 Posts
After about 3000 rounds, mine has a little bit of play in it too. More noticable when there is no mag in it.

Still groups as well as it did fresh out of the box.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
My .40 QA has a lot of rattle, but shoots better now than when it was brand new. My 9mm QA hasn't developed any rattle yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts