Walther Forums banner

P99 slide stuck after reassembly

11K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  imaoldfart 
#1 ·
Hi all! I have a P99 that I don't shoot often enough. It has probably fewer than 600 rounds through it.

I removed the slide, recoil string, and barrel to see if it needed cleaning before shooting this weekend, and when I reassembled it I must have screwed something up. It won't fully go back into battery, and it won't remove. The slide is stuck on something. It will go from between 1/4 inch forward and 1mm before battery back.

Is there anything I can do or is to the gunsmith with me?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
My answer to computer problems is reboot it.

Do the same with your P99. Field strip it again and check to make sure you have the guide rod in proper place, etc. Here is a decent video you can watch as well.

#3 ·
That was a good video, it showed me what I did wrong. I think I had the spring assembly backward. Yes, I'm a dumbass.

Unfortunately I can't pull the slide off the frame at all. Something is stuck inside.

Thanks for replying, and the video is useful.

#4 ·
Yup, make sure the mag is out, pull the trigger and see if that frees things up, (it likely should) re-field strip the weapon and reassemble...

#6 ·
Does it look like it could be off the rails on one side? If so some gentle taps with a soft mallet might free it...

#8 · (Edited)
This may not help if the recoil spring is causing it, but try removing the striker assembly. I accidentally put mine back together without the RSA or barrel (I can't remember which) and the striker got caught up on something. Once I removed it, the slide came right off.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that this can be done with the slide still on the frame. I'd recommend locking the slide back to take any spring pressure off the striker assembly and be careful.

#9 ·
That was certainly informative. And it appears you could take out the striker assembly even if you can only get the slide partially back (although I don't know how you'd hold the slide back will doing the removal operation).

#10 ·
That was certainly informative. And it appears you could take out the striker assembly even if you can only get the slide partially back (although I don't know how you'd hold the slide back will doing the removal operation).
It's possible, but takes some dexterity. You can grip over the slide (like you're racking it). Use your thumb to push against the frame enough for the backplate to clear the frame. With your free hand, depress the detent and use your thumb to slide the backplate off a bit. You only need to move it 1/8 in for it not to lock back up on you when you release the detent. Once the backplate is out of place, you can use your free hand to remove it completely.

It sounds complicated, but it's really not that hard once you get the right grip on the pistol.

#18 ·
Fixed the jam

I took my P99 out of the box for the first time yesterday. After cleaning, I did the same mistake, put the spring on backward during assembly. The gun jammed as described.

The slide was stuck, will only move slightly. I finally was able to release the jam by pushing on the spring back into the chamber area. Once the spring was pushed about 3/8 inch in, the slide was released.

#19 ·
I took my P99 out of the box for the first time yesterday. After cleaning, I did the same mistake, put the spring on backward during assembly. The gun jammed as described.

The slide was stuck, will only move slightly. I finally was able to release the jam by pushing on the spring back into the chamber area. Once the spring was pushed about 3/8 inch in, the slide was released.

I thank you for 2 things:

1. You posted the resolution to my problem - excellent contribution!

2. I'm not the only one who has done it, now I don't feel quite as stupid :)

#23 ·
Yes, I should be more specific. I think my slide had the same problem as described by ko_kyi. In my personal opinion, the cause is due to inserting the recoil spring in the opposite direction, when the gun was reassembled.

The tip of the recoil spring can be accessed from the front of the gun, through the hole just below the nozzle. I used a small wooden stick to push in the recoil spring while pushing the slide forward, toward the nozzle. Once the recoil spring is pushed in, the slide moved forward more and got out of the jam.

I hope this was a better description.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.