Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching one of my favorite shows last night, "24" on Fox, and noticed that Keifer Sutherland's character, Jack Bauer, was packing a P99.

It seems they are pretty popular in Hollywood.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Hmm, unfortunately, I believe you are mistaken. Jack's new gun he's sporting this year is a USP Compact. His partner appears to have a Beretta 92FS stainless.

BUT on the bright side, Sydney on Alias indeed used a P99 in episode 2 this year.

Regards,
James

·
Registered
75 Posts
If I were the boss at Walter or Smith and Wesson, I would GIVE my pistols to the Hollywood company that supplies them to the TV and Movie people. The publicity is worth its weight in gold as we see by this posting.
People notice what the TV characters use...which is why product placement is such big business.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I don't think it wouldn't be worth it for Walther to give free rights to their P99 for TV productions. You and I would instantly recognize the P99 onscreen, or any other common firearm. However, to the majority of people, it's just a 'gun'. Their feelings for the show wouldn't change if it were a Walther, a Glock, a Sig, whatever and it wouldn't influence them to go out and get that particular firearm.

Movies are a slightly different story. Most people would still not care or recognize one firearm over another. But movies have a hold on the public that television does not. Movie franchises (Bond, The Matrix, etc) are stronger than most TV shows. More people are likely to want to find out what firearm a particular character used in such and such a movie.

I remember seeing a History Channel special on the history of the magnum. When they got to the .44 Magnum, they talked about the movie Dirty Harry and how sales of the .44 magnum rocketed after that movie came out. Most people never shot their .44 magnum that they bought from movie influence.

I wonder how many people bought the P99 based solely on seeing it on the Bond movies? I became aware of the P99 through the Bond movies. I did a little research and then I held one and I was hooked.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also became interested in the P99 series after seeing one used in the Bond movies. After researching it, testing one, and daydreaming for a while, I bought one. I now plan on carrying it as my primary on-duty weapon once my holster gets here (I had to special order it).

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hmm...it'd be interesting to find out how many people bought a P99 solely based on wanting James Bond's sidearm. Those people probably do not post here. They just have the gun in their closet or something as a conversation piece among guy friends.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had a PPK because Bond had one. Then when Bond tried the P99, I thought I had to have one of those, too. Haven't regretted it. The good side is my wife now likes the P99.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a PPK because Bond had one also. I got my P99 after shooting several different guns to get the feel for them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i didnt get my gun just because bond used it in the movies. but that is where i first saw it, and i was instantly hooked as well.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Both Sydney and Will had P99s in last Sunday's episode of Alias. And will finally killed that &*#&( that had killed Marci and assumed her identity through DNA resequencing.

BUT, Sydney failed to kill Sark when she had the chance

Love that show. Whoot!

James

·
Registered
39 Posts
I fell in love with the P99 after I saw an article about it in Guns&Ammo. I loved how it looked and I think was the only pistol with adj. backstraps at the time.

Interesting how many people bought a P99 b/c of Bond or something similar.

Now I wonder how many people are Glock lovers b/c of Snoop Dogg and Tupac

·
Registered
178 Posts
Although Jack Bauer may be carrying a USP on his own, last week when he overpowered a guard on the drug runners plane and took his gun it appeared to be a P99. So now the bad guys are learning!

·
Registered
83 Posts
i had a P99 for about three years before i even knew it was the new bond gun.  i like the old sean connery/roger moore bond movies but never got into the new ones.  anyone who buys a pistol [/U]solely because they saw it on tv, in a movie or, worst of all, heard about it in a rap song is a moron.  choose your weapons because they are reliable, safe, accurate, comfortable, beautiful and practical.  a P99 is all of those (for me).  you shouldn't own a gun if you want it for a conversation piece or to impress your friends.  a gun is a tool, a dangerous tool to be respected.  'cool' should never be an issue when buying a weapon.

frye

BTW-this is my first post, just found this forum!  i own an all german (KK markings, etc.) P99 .40 and want more P99's!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ill post that I got looked into getting it based on the Bond Movie, but after I held one, I had one with in a week.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mhmm, I had some extra time on my hands right around 96 when it first came out and was doing a lot of research on firearms at the time.  How they actually work, what's used by military/police, etc...
I'm studying mechanical engineering so I love almost everything about the P99.  The little edges the gun has over (in my opinion) virtually every other gun out there.  I really liked the striker system and lack of protruding parts.  I think the magazine releases, lack of manual safety, and interchangeable backstraps were great.  (Yes I know the first two can be found on other guns too)
But in the end, it's just plain GORGEOUS!  (And made by Walther-- a big plus in my view)
I'm on a student budget and knew I was only going to be able to buy one handgun until I get commissioned so for me it's never been a question which one I would buy.

Oh and regarding TV sightings:  I'm not sure if this is one of the other shows already mentioned but two days ago there was a movie/show (not sure) on SciFi channel with the guy that played Duncan McCloud on the Highlander series and one of the main characters was a black guy trying to kill a vampire (no it's not Blade) and he was using a P99.  

1 - 17 of 17 Posts