Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys, new to a walther p99 here, I took it out shooting for the first time today, windage is fine but its indeed shooting 2 -3" low, I have a #4 on the front and am curious what number I should try next?

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Yes. #3 - Be sure it is not just U - I sometimes shoot my HK USP compact low - but it is me - not the gun.

My SW99 (a P99 clone) shot low when I first got it - I had to put the #3 on it, and it worked fine. Be aware that it still taked a bit of work to get those other numbered sites to fit flush with the slide.

·
Registered
821 Posts
what grain/weight ammo are you shooting.  Lighter 165 gr (mine's a .40) shoot a little lower than 180s for me.

Like Shipwreck said, most of the time, the shooter is the main variable in where the shots land, not the gun.  Look at this target (its a PDF file): http://home.comcast.net/~dave_i....cle.pdf

Helpful for learning what the shooter might be doing incorrectly...  Hope this helps.

-stunks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I dont know, Im pretty sure I have a nice hold on the pistol. I was shooting 3 other pistols as well and had no problems.. I compensated 3" high with the walther and that corrected where I was placing the bullets..

My walther is a 9mm and I was shooting blazer brass 125 grain..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice, what grip do you use? Im a bigger guy with some what large hands, I had the smallest grip on it when I shot but it seems to pewny, so yea I put the #3 on and the largest grip. Im sure it will be like day and night now when and if I do shoot it again

Im debating on keeping it or not, all last night I was watching tv holding the pistol and I cannot get over how sweet it feels in my hand.. The only thing that discourages me is the finish, why the heck did the stick a crappy finish on it?

Hey shipwreck, do you have any close up pics of the bitone finish you had done? How do you like it?

Are there any practical aftermarket upgrades a guy can get for the walther p99? Do you suggest any or would you just keep it stock? When I do a seach on google for "Walther p99" all that comes up is airsoft crapola- I was also looking into magazines but they seem very high in price. what gives??? Am I looking in the wrong spot or what?

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
No real aftermarket stuff - on gunbroker - if U do a search for "P99", U will find some craappy mag wells for sale, and a grip adjuster. But, I do not think they are worth getting.

I have small hands - and, I use the standard grip - the one that comes on the gun already - the med grip.

I find the finish as durable as most other guns - except for maybe a Glock. But remember, the tennifer that protects the gun is underneath the black oxide finish. But, like U, I am very anal about my guns' finished...

Here is a closeup...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That looks really good man, real nice look to it..

I wonder if I could get mine done just like that but leave the letter and numbers black or maybe hard chrome everything except the "WALTHER" and the flag thing around it black. Hmmm I wonder if that would look good, Or maybe reverse it and have the whole slide done in a nice durable black and have the letters and numbers bitone.. anyone have a nice photobucket program?

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
If they hard chrome the slide - it is all hard chromed - it's actually like a plating - it's not a paint on finish.

I just looked - it was $115 + $12 shipping - they billed my credit card last week. So, not as bad as I thought it would be - I knew he had a price increase - but didn't know by how much...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not a bad price, where did you get this done at?

I called Canyon creek (I hear they do nice work) and they quoted me $85 to hard chrome my slide but I dont think thats including shipping, im thinking shipping would be around $30..

If you havent heard of Canyon creek here is a link, they mostly deal with springfields but from what ive hear and seen they do an awesome job. Check out the pictures on their site...

http://www.canyoncreekcustom.com/Canyon_Creek_Custom_-_Sprin.html

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was shooting a bit low with mine at first too. Before blaming the gun and changing the sights, someone wiser than me told me to grab some snap caps and practice dryfiring. Turns out he was right, and I was just jerking the trigger a bit as it broke. This wasn't a big problem for me on other guns, so maybe it's just the trigger needs getting used to and/or breaking in a bit?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had the same problem with another gun I own. I took the gun in to have the sights adjusted. The gun smith told me to keep only the first 1/3rd of my finger on the trigger just in front of the first knuckle. Practise dry firing and make the the front site doesn't move all the way through the trigger stroke. Inhale and hold your breath through each stroke of the trigger. Practice pulling back slowly and don't let the your finger slide over the trigger past the first knuckle.

Practice the same routine while using live ammo. Don't anticipate the recoil. Have a friend insert a spent or dummy round into the magazine in a random position. If you move the gun by anticipating the recoil or slapping the trigger you will see the gun move when you pull the trigger on the dummy round.

Trigger management is the leading cause of inaccurate shooting, not the gun. This wotrked very well for me. I find that after I don't shoot for a while I have to work this routine to get the process working again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It was the sight, I shot today and was digging the bulls eye every shot..

When I first started shooting I had similar promlems like listed above and what reeeeeeallly helped me was reading this artical top to bottom over and over again. It really goes over the basics and gives some really nice tips. For anyone with trouple hitting the bulls eye I highly recommend reading this..

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob85.html

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Well, I had the compact P99 and shopt dead on before - my SW99 was low right out of the box. As soon as I changed the sight, it was dead on.

Only gun I shoot low (and it is my fault) that I have is my HK USP compact

·
Registered
83 Posts
i've been shooting my dad's 9mm P99 in USPSA matches since my regular match pistol has gone back for warranty service and was shooting low with a #4 front sight (w/115grn WWB). dropped in the #3 and things are going to where i like them to with my normal sight picture.

frye

1 - 20 of 20 Posts