Walther Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - I have long wanted a first-gen P99 and never could find one when I had the money to drop. Recently I purchased a parts kit from a gun that had been destroyed by law enforcement and have ordered the frame and miscellaneous parts that I was missing from Earl’s.

It looks like assembly will be pretty straightforward, but I can’t find any specific information on building a P99 from parts. Should I anticipate any particular trouble when it comes time to assemble the gun?

All told I will be in for around $500 and am getting the gun exactly as I want it, not having to settle for what pops up. I’m really looking forward to adding another Walther to my carry rotation.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
If you have all the parts, it's really pretty easy. Once assembled you'll probably have to make some adjustments to the trigger bar guide to ensure the DA works properly.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Good luck. But mind telling us what you mean - having the gun as you want and not having to settle? The P99 is a P99. What will be different on yours, if you don't mind saying.

There really isn't much to vary on it. You could have bought a new one for the same price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Good luck. But mind telling us what you mean - having the gun as you want and not having to settle? The P99 is a P99. What will be different on yours, if you don't mind saying.

There really isn't much to vary on it. You could have bought a new one for the same price.
Nothing special. I want an early first gen with the original trigger, black on black, and no extraneous slide markings. I haven’t ever seen one like that locally, so I would have had to settle for a later model, or gone online and still had trouble getting just the one I want.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi guys - I have long wanted a first-gen P99 and never could find one when I had the money to drop. Recently I purchased a parts kit from a gun that had been destroyed by law enforcement and have ordered the frame and miscellaneous parts that I was missing from Earl’s.

It looks like assembly will be pretty straightforward, but I can’t find any specific information on building a P99 from parts. Should I anticipate any particular trouble when it comes time to assemble the gun?

All told I will be in for around $500 and am getting the gun exactly as I want it, not having to settle for what pops up. I’m really looking forward to adding another Walther to my carry rotation.

Thanks in advance.
You did not make clear if the $500 would be the total price with spare parts or its $500 just for the gun. If its $500 just for the gun and no replacement parts your probably going to get way more money in it that just buying a new one or looking at the gun shows and internet for a used one in good condition. They are not a rare gun and a lot of good used ones are out there and probably for way less then what you are going to sink into a build it yourself project which may not even end up as reliable either. Just assembling a gun from a mix of spare parts is not the same as a gun built at the factory by skilled technicians. I might add I have been down this road before and its not a good idea to travel it either in terms of cost, reliability and all the headaches connected with the project.

I might add I do own an original early model P99 and I like it for a range toy but would never carry it for self-defense as it cannot be carried safely in the single action mode and in a crisis if you miss your target because of its heavy double action first shot pull you just might end up hitting and killing a bystander. That is why I do not carry mine. Its a range toy only. Walther really lost a ton of sales by not putting a manual safety on this gun so that it could have been carried in the single action mode. But when did any gun company ever listen to their buyers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You did not make clear if the $500 would be the total price with spare parts or its $500 just for the gun. If its $500 just for the gun and no replacement parts your probably going to get way more money in it that just buying a new one or looking at the gun shows and internet for a used one in good condition. They are not a rare gun and a lot of good used ones are out there and probably for way less then what you are going to sink into a build it yourself project which may not even end up as reliable either. Just assembling a gun from a mix of spare parts is not the same as a gun built at the factory by skilled technicians. I might add I have been down this road before and its not a good idea to travel it either in terms of cost, reliability and all the headaches connected with the project.

I might add I do own an original early model P99 and I like it for a range toy but would never carry it for self-defense as it cannot be carried safely in the single action mode and in a crisis if you miss your target because of its heavy double action first shot pull you just might end up hitting and killing a bystander. That is why I do not carry mine. Its a range toy only. Walther really lost a ton of sales by not putting a manual safety on this gun so that it could have been carried in the single action mode. But when did any gun company ever listen to their buyers.
It lacks that manual safety because it uses a completely different trigger system than a 1911, a Hi-Power, et cetera. Yes, the original 99 has a pretty stagey and heavy first pull, and even after that the take-up and reset have glitches in the stroke as well. I had one too. If you just want one as a range toy for relaxation, your solution and comment are indeed correct because you, like I, don't care for the DA pull much. That pull can be overcome with practice, and at very close range I doubt that it would be that huge an impediment to accurate shots being placed so long as your sight picture is adequate. The DA/SA and DAO actions are "what people want" just as polymer frames and striker fire are, apparently.

Seems to me that a slimline 13-shot 9X19 1911 could be built and it would perform brilliantly, but no one asked me. ;-)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

All done. Was really easy to put together, was just a bit tricky to get the slide stop spring to stay in place until the breech block was put in, and the frontmost pin was mushroomed a bit by whoever took apart the original gun so it took some doing to get it to go in.

Thanks guys!

It was a bit over $500 built, factoring in shipping. Yes, I could have waited another 5 years to maybe hopefully find one in this configuration, under $500, while I had the ability to drop that sum on impulse, and maybe found one, but since I didn't have any luck in the previous 5 years I decided to go ahead and go this route. I do not care what the gun is "worth" to a collector or another buyer down the road -- because I am never going to sell it. I don't see much room for reliability issues but if there are any I am more than able to work them out, this is not my first rodeo.

·
Registered
87 Posts

All done. Was really easy to put together, was just a bit tricky to get the slide stop spring to stay in place until the breech block was put in, and the frontmost pin was mushroomed a bit by whoever took apart the original gun so it took some doing to get it to go in.

Thanks guys!

It was a bit over $500 built, factoring in shipping. Yes, I could have waited another 5 years to maybe hopefully find one in this configuration, under $500, while I had the ability to drop that sum on impulse, and maybe found one, but since I didn't have any luck in the previous 5 years I decided to go ahead and go this route. I do not care what the gun is "worth" to a collector or another buyer down the road -- because I am never going to sell it. I don't see much room for reliability issues but if there are any I am more than able to work them out, this is not my first rodeo.

So how did your build configuration differ from the standard factory version?????

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So how did your build configuration differ from the standard factory version?????
It doesn’t, and it wasn’t supposed to. This is the configuration I wanted and could never find one locally, and when I happen to see them online I’m usually in the middle of a project and don’t have ~$600 to drop on a whim. Building it this way let me spread the cost out a little and gave me the exact model I wanted. Besides, I enjoy building guns up from parts and have never done a poly frame pistol before.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Walther really lost a ton of sales by not putting a manual safety on this gun so that it could have been carried in the single action mode. But when did any gun company ever listen to their buyers.
Glock seems to be doing alright.

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
For most people, a good holster, lots of practice carrying, drawing, and presenting, and good trigger discipline are better than a dumbass with 20 rounds fired total and a manual safety that's likely going to be forgotten, one way or the other.

I'll put my trust in the hands (literally, metaphorically) of the guy with a lot of practice with no safety and a SA gun, than ole gomer with 10 rounds through his 1911 that he hasn't even mastered operating the safety....

·
Registered
37 Posts
For most people, a good holster, lots of practice carrying, drawing, and presenting, and good trigger discipline are better than a dumbass with 20 rounds fired total and a manual safety that's likely going to be forgotten, one way or the other.

I'll put my trust in the hands (literally, metaphorically) of the guy with a lot of practice with no safety and a SA gun, than ole gomer with 10 rounds through his 1911 that he hasn't even mastered operating the safety....
I get your point but I must disagree slightly. There are many old guys out there who can run a 1911 just as fast (and probably more accurately) than a guy with a striker-fired gun.

"It's not the arrow, it's the indian."

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
It REALLY IS about the Indian more than the arrow.

An untrained person is not going to be very effective no matter the handgun they are using.

The modern striker stuff is simpler to maintain and also simpler in it's manual of arms through which may make it easier for new users to come up to a certain level of competence.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts