Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the extra features like the cocked striker indicator and the loaded chamber indicator make the P99 more prone to problems? I doubt it, but could these small parts brake? and if they were to break, could it possibly hurt the actual functioning of the gun?

·
Registered
821 Posts
DavePoint,

The P99 is an EXTREMELY reliable pistol.  I have read posts on this very board about P99s continuing to function even without an ejector.  As far as the loaded chamber indicator, that's actualy part of the extractor.  If that were to break, you'd have a serious problem.  BUT, considering it is a major part of the gun, I would expect its design is more robust than other parts, and would be less likely to break.

Praticing good loading procedures (through the magazine, not the ejection port), and not letting the slide slam onto an empty chamber should keep your P99 functioning reliably.  You'll probably need new springs before anything else.

-stunks

EDIT: keep in mind, most major brand modern firearms have these modern features. Most major brand modern firearms are VERY reliable. Don't let little worries like that taint your feelings toward an extremely well made pistol. Walther is one of the BEST. Enjoy your QA, and be sure to post a range report after you get it!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just a little nitpic, but if the OP bought a P99QA, the back of the striker will not stick out of the slide (until you've already applied quite a bit of pressure to the trigger.) That's about my only complaint about the QA; in the dark you can't feel whether it's cocked or not.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've only put a few hundred through my P99AS, it has been completely reliable.
I'm ver pleased with the weapon.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
blake tyner, yeah that is a slight problem with the QA model having a cocked striker indicator, but i am guessing you can easily tell if it is cocked by the location and feeling of the trigger when lightly touched. but yeah, why have a cocked striker indicator on the QA? i know there must be a good reason...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts