Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

During field stripping last night I noticed that the front portion of the plastic recoil spring guide is chipped and in need of replacement. This otherwise perfect gun has less than 500 rounds through it.

Can anyone provide me with a source for this part?? Even better, does anyone sell a replacement made of metal (which is what the damn thing should have been made from to begin with)??

Thanks everyone.

Paul

·
Registered
471 Posts
If it were me, I'd call S&W and order the factory replacement part. I'm sure there is a good reason why Walther made it the way they did. You very seldom ever hear of problems with the recoil guide and spring, so I don't really think it's an issue to warrant an after market solution...
The recoil spring needs to be replaced from time to time anyway, on any pistol...

·
Registered
333 Posts
As Hal8000 suggests.....call S&W and they will most likely send you a replacement for free under warranty.

It should be repalced with an O.E.M. Part ....... the spring compression ratio is geared to the gun and caliber.

Also the Recoil spring is a "Consumable" .......... no need to make it out of metal you will just throw away. The plastic portion is just a "Guide" to keep the spring compressing in a linear motion. It could be made of stiff cardboard and still work! I am guessing plastic was chosen to keep cost down and also the weight.

JF.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Should you like to look into a metal guide rod, Sprinco makes one that is well made, but overpriced. Best of luck...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks MLB - the Sprinco is precisely what I was looking for.   I seem to remember a thread on this forum last year about the failure rate of the stock recoil guides. There was also some mention of a metal replacement but I couldnt find it in my search.  

The P99 is my daily carry gun and parts that fail in a 6 month old gun with less than 500 rounds through it are unacceptable. I'm not at all comfortable replacing a critical part that failed prematurely with another one just like it.  While I can understand some people's reluctance, I personally believe $79.95 is not too much to pay for the peace of mind that comes from carrying a gun you can depend on.  I might have a different view if the P99 sat in a safe instead of riding my hip.

On comparison, while the Sprinco isnt as cheap as the S&W OEM replacment at $10.00, neither is the quality.  The Sprinco is warranteed for life, carries a 60 day money back guarantee, is made of 17-4 stainless steel and is also designed as a recoil reducer rather than just a replacement spring/guide assembly.  To be honest, I really dont give a hoot what it does for recoil - I'm far more interested in a gun I can trust.

Thanks for all the advice fellas.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I'd swear I have read mixed results about the Sprinco, with at least 1 person claiming that their Sprinco didn't even fit their gun. I am satisified w/ my stock guiderods and have yet to have any issues with them...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've also heard very mixed results on the Sprinco. Do some google searches and try to find some peoples opinions before purchasing. Although the 60 money back does give you the chance to try it.

You may want to give S&W a call as well. Early on there were some steel guide rods available as replacements. I don't know if those are gone or not, they were never really advertised though.

If it's that beat up I'd also check to make sure everything else is OK with the pistol. I've got several thousand rounds through mine with minimal wear on the guide rod.

If you do try the Spinco post your opinions. It's always good to hear others experiences.

CD

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great suggestion CD. Upon inspection, the broken guide rod looks fine except for the tip which is badly chipped. By tip, I am referring to the foward portion of the rod which retains the spring. The damage is easily visible by looking at the gun from the muzzle with the slide closed.

I will definitely post my impressions on the Sprinco unit once I have some good mileage on it.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I've got the Sprinco unit. I'll sell it to you for $30 delivered (case of beer basically). Have only a couple hundred rounds through it.

It's nice, but didn't do anything for me that the OEM setup did.

Let me know.

Regards,
Jeff

[email protected]

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just make sure the rod is properly inserted into the gun before you put the slide back on...this is the only advice i can give to help remedy the problem. Maybe there are some tolerancing issues on your gun...i have no idea just throwing out ideas.

Glocks have plastic recoil springs too. It is not the plastic, you probably just got unlucky. Trust me, of the 3 new guns i have bought, all 3 broke or malfunctioned except for my glock.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well fellas - just to update you. I went both ways - I ordered an OEM replacement guide from S&W and I ordered the SPRINCO unit.

The SPRINCO unit fits fine and functions flawlessly. I would recommend it to anyone who is uncomfortable with the cheesy plastic OEM part.

Oh, and speaking of the OEM part - I ordered the replacement part from S&W almost 6 weeks ago now and it is still back on back order. When I asked the S&W rep why there arent any recoil guides in stock his reply was (and I kid you not), "The Germans take the whole month of August off"

Not only does S&W's support for the P99 suck, their parts people are ignorant if this guy was any indication of the rest of the parts department.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I don't know when they started taking off in August... but when I was there (10 miles away from the plant) they (Walther) were on "campany vacation" and reopened the plant on August 21. I got this of the answering machine when I called to see about getting a tour through the new plant.
So I guess the whole month is a lil bit too overstated and might be a bit jelious of the S&W worker too... most German big companies have this sort a thing for 2 weeks in the summer so the workers can take PAYED TIME off with the kids on summer break....

FWIW I just got my nre OEM recoil spring form Earls today... took less then 4 days and the price is $35....

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Well Earl did give me a discount since I did buy a threaded barrel for the P99  
 so I didn't pay $35..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts