Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard a lot that the P99 in 9mm is quite "snappy" and has more felt recoil than say, a glock 19. how can this be? if it is the same round, shouldn't it be the same recoil?

and the grip angle of the P99 is better than a glock, so shouldn't that help lessen the recoil?

does it have something to do with the recoil spring, or maybe the differing height of the barrel over the grip? i am not an expert, so any info would be great.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Has to do with the bore axis of the P99 and glock. The glock has a lower bore axis (the plane of the barrel in relation to the top of your hand whilst gripping the weapon), thus you experience more of a push with the glock. The P99, though it has a higher bore axis which make for more of a flip, is still easier to shoot in my opinion because of the great ergonomics.

Hope that helps. 9mm is pretty tame, anyways.

-stunks

·
Registered
88 Posts
What they said.

It was a tradeoff in recoil for natural pointabliity.

When I had my Glock 19, and now when I shoot my gfs G19, I can tell that there is less recoil than my P99, but the P99s first shot is always X ring, not 8 ring as with the Glock.

Maybe it's just training, but for me growing up on the 1911 I find the Glock grip angle just too angled, making my 'natural point' 2-3 inches high at 10 yards. If it's one's first time touching a gun, I imagine one would adapt to the grip angle more quickly.

·
Registered
130 Posts
A given 9x19mm cartridge will have the same recoil whether fired from a G19 or a P99. The shooter's perception will vary due to bore axis/grip angles/slide weights/recoil springs/etc.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Recoil is directly related to weight and it's associated distribution.

The USP 9, for instance, weighs empty more than a P99 with 10 rounds but has a higher bore axis.

For a given cartridge the more weight, the lower the bore axis, the lower the felt recoil.

Felt recoil also depends on weight distribution. Hang a light off the P99 and see what happens to felt recoil.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Cyclic velocity also influences felt recoil. The faster the silde cycles, in conjunction with it's mass, will influence the amount of recoil felt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts