Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be buying a 2005 P99 QA 9mm soon, but I don't think I will be getting the chance to try it out anywhere, because none of my local gun stores carry the QA model (though they do seem to carry every damn glock model in the world).

But anyway, I did get the chance to dry fire the Glock 19, and I was wondering if the Glock trigger is giving me the right idea of how the QA will feel. I know very little about trigger jargon like reset, take up etc. so can you explain those terms along with your response? (haha be nice this will be my first hand gun purchase) Thanks a lot. -Dave

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm in the same position as you are pretty much, any detailed info would be awesome! The glock 17 would probably be most like the 9mm p99 I'd imagine though...

·
Registered
141 Posts
i got the G23 with the stock 5.5 lbs connector trigger and is very smoth really compare to the 7 or 8 lbs of the QA.

the QA trigger feels like a smoth double action to me really

the glock trigger is more like a semi single action really

im waiting for my AS i want Single Action

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any other opinions on the similarities between the QA trigger and the glock (19) trigger? it would really help.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My 9mm P99 QA feels nothing like the Glock 19. First off the pull is MUCH heavier. Second, the reset on the Glock is MUCH shorter (for the QA you have to completely release the trigger for it to reset). Fourth the trigger blade on the Walther feels quite a bit better. Comparing the gun's shooting habbits side by side, the Walther had more felt recoil than the Glock. Shotting the guns side by side, and then switching hands and doing it again. If you don't pay attention you REALLY can't tell the difference. Which is to say you don't notice the heavier pull or the longer reset when under stress, when it's actually important. Weight is comprable. The Walther is slightly bigger (a hair wider and a hair taller) but I'd say just get them both. You won't regret either.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i dry fired the glock 19, so I didn't get a chance to feel the reset, but I liked it a lot. I dry fired the P99 AS too, and like it a lot as well.

So would you recommend the Glock 19 over the P99 QA??

And by the way...the walther catalog says that the QA has a "quick trigger reset for faster shooting speed." I guess you disagree?

·
Registered
821 Posts
I wouldn't recommend a glock 19 over the P99.  The P99 is just a better weapon.  Not to mention it points better (grip angle).  Next time you pick up a P99, close your eyes, raise the pistol to eye level and point at your target, you'll notice that you're looking right down the sights.  Try this with a glock, and many people seem to be looking at the top of the sights instead.

Ok, Ok, so I ripped this from the springfield armory website in reading about my wife's (or my) new XD.  Sure enough, the XD points better than the glocks I've used and compared to.  Tried it on ALL of my walthers (PPK too), the walthers point just like the XD...  Or should I say, the XD and walthers point just like a 1911....

So, what's the bottom line???  I think that a gun that more instinctively points is more important than one with a slightly lighter trigger.  In a self defense situation, you'll likely be more accurate with the better pointer.  You won't be thinking about sight alignment, and if the gun points better, your sights "should" be closer to alignment.  If you're using the gun for target shooting, get the lighter trigger, if not, like mentioned before, you will not notice the difference in trigger pulls.  Besides, what originally made the P99 different than all other striker fired guns was the fact that it acted like a traditional double action pistol (both DA and SA).  Now they're pusing the QA, bah!

Sooooo, if you want a consistent trigger pull, like I've said in other posts....  Look at the Springfield XD!!!  Especially if you're interested in the glock.  Hold the glock, hold the XD, the XD just FEELS better...  

-stunks

P.S. I'll try to stop all the XD plugs now.  I'm sorry, I just really really really really like it.  I feel about the XD like I did about the P99 when I first got it, leaps and bounds, ya know?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Mabey they changed it, I can't say but to feel the reset, pull the trigger (with the gun unloaded) rack the slide and back off the trigger untill you feel it click. Mine is all the way out. I like my Walther alot. The G19 is nice too, and if you're in a situation that you need your gun for it won't make a difference which you've got because you won't notice. If, on the other hand you want a gun with a good aftermarket following already, the Glock's the way to go. There's a large selection of aftermarket sights, different trigger kits, plates, springs, holsters are dime a dozen, there's even a full auto conversion if you're class 3. The Walther's a little harder to find stuff for but it does get attention at the range. Basically it comes down to personal preferance. I like the slightly oddball firearms, which is why I own suff like a .22LR AK-47 and as of next monday a Romanian PSL (Dragunov like rifle).

·
Registered
88 Posts
The QA trigger type is an abomination in concept, leaving you with a more comfortable, sexier looking Glock.

I haven't tried testing the trigger reset on the QA, but on the AS it is extremely short, much shorter than Glock.

Like 95% of the P99 fans in this country, I am EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED with Walther for this buisness decision.

I bought my P99 because it was the only firearm available with all of the features I wanted. Tennifer, true DA/SA action, great feel, used by not so secret agents overseas.

With the QA on the verge of being the only available trigger type in the U.S., Walther is going to be losing a lot of sales to people like me who demand DA/SA capability, and to everyone who buys a Glock 19 because it is smaller and cheaper with the same trigger style and better aftermarket support.

WAKE UP WALTHER!!! Unless you already have U.S. government contracts signed in blood you had better keep catering to the civilian marketplace.

The AS trigger is a huge part of what makes the P99 IMO one of the finest combat handguns ever produced. The trigger and the grip ergonomics are the primary features of this pistol that make it so much more than a Glock.

So which should you buy? Shoot both, if the P99 grip doesn't sell you on the gun, the QA trigger won't either.

Given the price difference, and QA trigger, I'd get the Glock.

You hear that Walther? Why would anyone spend $100 more for what basically ammounts to the SAME GUN with less aftermarket support???!!! I'm not trying to be rude, but what retarded bean counter made the call to stop importing the finest pistol ever made???

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Riktoven, great reply. I don't know what backstrap the walther i tried out had, but i was not totally impressed with the grip. maybe i need the smaller back strap? i'm thinking that if I can't get the 2004 or 2005 AS, I will be leaning towards the glock 19. I really wanted a walther too, its just so much cooler looking. I know a lot of people swear by the QA, but surprisingly i I liked the feel of the glock 19 as well as the trigger, and if the QA trigger isn't as good as the glock in terms of pull weight and reset, then the QA may be off the list.

Do you think the accuracy of the P99 compared to the less accurate glock (so i've heard) would be a reason to stick with a walther, despite the trigger?

·
Registered
28 Posts
glock, less accurate??? I think you've heard wrong. Both pistols are accurate, it all boils down to who is using them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have read a lot of posts about how people are more accurate with the walther...maybe thats just because the grip fits them better?

and i see you joined walther forums just to post that response. i guess you feel strongly that the glock is just as accurate. i'm glad to hear that though. and welcome...im new here too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah as far as mechanical accuracy goes, they are equivalent. My P99, and my girlfriend's Glock 19 will both shoot one ragged hole at 10 feet with me shooting. With a more experienced shooter or a machine doing it I bet they both would do it at 20 yards.

Aint nothing wrong with Glocks. If you actually like the 2x4 grip, I'd get it and 1000rnds of ammo to practice with instead of the P99. My (now gone) G19 was my most beloved posesion...until I rented a P99 at a range (an original P99, with the original trigger that I would LOVE to see back in the gun...or at least get some more time with) and the Glock was destined to be history.

·
Registered
141 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Riktoven @ July 22 2005,11:18)]The QA trigger type is an abomination in concept, leaving you with a more comfortable, sexier looking Glock.

I haven't tried testing the trigger reset on the QA, but on the AS it is extremely short, much shorter than Glock.

Like 95% of the P99 fans in this country, I am EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED with Walther for this buisness decision.

I bought my P99 because it was the only firearm available with all of the features I wanted.  Tennifer, true DA/SA action, great feel, used by not so secret agents overseas.

With the QA on the verge of being the only available trigger type in the U.S., Walther is going to be losing a lot of sales to people like me who demand DA/SA capability, and to everyone who buys a Glock 19 because it is smaller and cheaper with the same trigger style and better aftermarket support.

WAKE UP WALTHER!!!  Unless you already have U.S. government contracts signed in blood you had better keep catering to the civilian marketplace.

The AS trigger is a huge part of what makes the P99 IMO one of the finest combat handguns ever produced.  The trigger and the grip ergonomics are the primary features of this pistol that make it so much more than a Glock.

So which should you buy?  Shoot both, if the P99 grip doesn't sell you on the gun, the QA trigger won't either.

Given the price difference, and QA trigger, I'd get the Glock.

You hear that Walther?  Why would anyone spend $100 more for what basically ammounts to the SAME GUN with less aftermarket support???!!!  I'm not trying to be rude, but what retarded bean counter made the call to stop importing the finest pistol ever made???
Yes im with you totally in this comments

The AS trigger is a huge part of what makes the P99 IMO one of the finest combat handguns ever produced. The trigger and the grip ergonomics are the primary features of this pistol that make it so much more than a Glock.

btw dave buy the walther QA and the Glock too or seek the AS new or used

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah i've decided...im going to buy both the P99 and the Glock. Everyone needs a little variety in life, right?? I will try to get an AS, but if not, I will get the QA...The P99 is just such a reliable, accurate and awesome looking gun not to have one, despite not getting the trigger i want. Maybe i will get one in 9mm and one in 40 cal...but which caliber in which gun?

·
Registered
16 Posts
You get a fully supported chamber with the P99 in .40, if you worry about that.

Both guns were designed around the 9mm, and I personally don't see the ballistic benefits of the .40 as worth the increase in recoil and decrease in magazine capacity.

It's a handgun. Not the most reliable killer by any means. Bullet selection is going to be more important than caliber selection. If you think you need to shoot through auto glass, I think you need a rifle not a handgun. Bullet placement trumps all. Nine is fine.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
9mm is cheaper to practice with too! So a P99 9mm and a Glock 19. thats my plan. and as soon as i get my CCW pistol permit (ive been waiting more than 6 months already) i will buy both, and maybe carry both too!

haha and for shooting through auto glass, i will use my Colt M4A4

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have nothing against the P99.  I shot an AS model and recently purchased a P99C AS.  Until 2 years ago, I've owned Glocks and I never had any problems with them.  They were the sturdiest pistols that I shot.  It's pretty accurate though not in the same league as the P7 and SIG P239 (the two most accurate pistols out of the box that I owned and shot).   The only reason that I don't have them is because I sold them to a friend as I moved to a not-gun-friendly state. One thing for certain when I shot the P99AS in comparison to the Glock is that the first DA shot is OK, but the subsequent SA shots are sweet.

DavePont Thanks for the welcome andhave fun with your new 9mm purchases.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Something else to keep in mind, the P99 9mm has a tefner coating, the .40 dosen't. The Glock has tefner on both the 9mm and the .40. To me that alone makes the choice easy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts