Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I got a P99QA, my first automatic, in fact my first handgun. I have 2 lever rifles and a G22 so I know how to handle a rifle at least. It's still at the dealer, I have ten days to read the manual on line and I have some questions.
1. The manual keeps talking about decocking the gun. Is this for all P99 models, QA included?
2. On page 13 of the manual under function check para.9 , it says to "release the trigger and pull it right back. The striker must be released after it reaches its rearmost position". But the striker is internal. How am I supposed to know this has happened? Is it the red dot appearing?
3.Page 19, it talks about single action operation, but I only perform this movement of drawing back on the slide if I have decocked the gun for some reason, am I correct? Because practically speaking, since this is the QA I am not going to be decocking the gun. I guess I might if someone wants to talk to me and there's a round in the chamber, so I decock the gun to be on the safe side.
4. Stripping the pistol down. Like I said, I don't really know this. So please be patient with me. After I press down on the barrel catches on both sides and pull the slide forward and off, what am I looking at and what else should I take off to clean? I wish they had a picture here.

Also I'm a lefty if anyone has any tips. And I'm going to get some snap caps to practice and get used to the handling before I go live.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Let's see if I can help. I love the QA model P99, you picked a good one!

1. You can decock the QA. It has a smaller decocker button than the regular P99, but I only do it when I'm about to tear down the gun for cleaning. This is the QA, so I don't see any reason to decock it, unless you are going to clean it.

2. Without a manual in front of me, I'm not sure what they're trying to tell you here. The QA is basically "half-cocked" at all times. When you pull the trigger, it pulls the striker back and then releases it. On the AS P99, in single action mode, you'll see the red dot of the striker protruding out the back. You won't see this on the QA, unless you watch for it as you are firing.

3. The QA does not have a SA mode. However it can be decocked. You reference that if someone is talking to you, you would decock the P99. That's all fine and dandy, however, may I suggest that you first point the pistol in a safe direction, eject the magazine, pull the slide back and eject the round in the chamber, then decock the pistol and "talk" with your friend. And while "talking" please treat the P99 as if it were still loaded. This will eliminate any possibility of something going wrong.

4. You will then be looking at the frame and the slide with the barrel, spring and striker assembly in the slide. You can then push the spring forward a little and lift up on it to take it out. Then you will be able to push the barrel slightly forward and then up to pull it out of the slide for cleaning. The striker assembly can also be taken out of the slide, but I recommend you do this with the manual in front of you. It is easy enough, but it really doesn't need to be taken apart for a few thousand rounds before you may need to clean it.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. The manual is written for all the P99 models, so they confuse me when they keep referring to single action and decocking. I keep thinking, but I have the QA, I don't know what they're talking about!
Yes, the manual keeps referring to the striker, and it's kind of confusing since you can't see it! I'm still 100% clear on para.9 on page 13. I think I know, but when I pick up the gun I think I'll just ask the store. Good thing the manuals are online.

I was going to get another rifle, but I thought about it, and decided to try a handgun. I was so impressed by the G22 , I decided to give the P99 a try.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Ummmmm
if you were impressed with the G22 then you are going to marry the P99

I have one with the Blue/grey stock and think it is a great .22lr for the price....but IMHO all the smal springs inside are a royal PITA.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The manual is constantly referring to decocking the gun, but since this is the QA version, I guess the only time I am really going to do this is when I clean it. Or just before I shoot just to make sure it works. Does that sound right?

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I would agree if I had a P99/QA..... I would not decock it unless cleaning or for storage.... as IMHO (and I might be way off, since this was just discussed about mag springs) the striker spring should not constantly be compressed.
** edit I know it is not fully compressed when the QA is precocked... but....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts