Walther Forums banner

P99 QA and AS.

4K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  PX15 
#1 ·
Guys:

I read the description for both models, the QA has a "glock-like" triguer pull, does the P99 QA has a decocker? Or it it always in a "safe action mode" like the glock?

Which one do you preferr and why? I guess I will have to find a QA to shoot and find out for myself, but I am just a bit confused. Thanks in advance guys and HAPPY Halloween to everyone!

Jeff

#2 ·
I have a P99 qa with the titanium slide in .40 cal. (post 2004 model) The QA model DOES have the decocker. I never use it. I use it as a CCW. I have never shot a Glock, but for me, My P99 is very acurate and goes "BANG" every pull of the trigger, no matter what brand of ammo. I do have a custom Kimber, that does shoot better but, I paid more than 4 times as much for it, and it only holds 7 shots in the Mag. Good luck, whatever you choose, but i like the qa trigger, alot of folks don't.:)

#3 ·
I have a P99 AS 9mm. I like the AS trigger system, if you want to see how it works check out Thorn's video on youtube.com I prefer the short, light trigger pull (0.3", 3.5lbs) on follow-up shots and the long, light (0.5", 3.5lbs) trigger pull of the first shot in "AS mode" is really nice too. I'm still new to the P99 and I haven't really used the long, heavy (0.5", 11lbs) DA trigger except for dry-firing.

I may be slightly off in my trigger travel and trigger pull weights, please forgive me.

The decocker in the QA models is mainly for field stripping, but I'll let the QA owners tell you more about that.

#4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I went to the wikipedia website and they describe both the AS and the QA. Is just a bit confusing trying to understand it. Probably beause I have never handle a QA version. I have the P99 with no marks, I am assuming this is the AS version. I like it a lot. I thought about getting a QA since I was reading that it has a "glock-like" trigger pull, but then I have been reading that most people preffer the AS. I was wondering if there is anything negative with the QA version.

#5 ·
Oh, we all knew I would show up ;).

I have a P99 QA in .40. I would strongly lean you toward the AS trigger. I have had a very large amount of trigger trouble with mine. All of these troubles are fading rapidly as the pistol breaks in (1000 rounds so far) but I think the QA trigger is very long, heavy and gritty. You may of course have a different opinion ;). I think this trigger was intended specifically for the law enforcement folks who as a department wanted some specific trigger features.

I think these same features that make the trigger "safer" make it quite a bit different to shoot.

Having said that, the more I practice with it of course the better I am getting, but I would still prefer a shorter, lighter, crisper trigger.

I *do* like just about everything else (get night sights), but I wish I would have gone with the AS trigger myself.

#6 ·
I prefer the QA for carry/self defense. The Glock like trigger is the best for this scenario

The AS trigger has too many "modes" for SD situations. Great set up for range work. Now if you are willing to put in the extra time (ala P7) then the AS would be better for SD.

YMMV

#7 ·
I don't own a P99 yet, but I am looking at the AS version (have finally found one at a local shop that I can feel the gun instead of just look at on the net) but I don't know if I truly understand your reasoning here. I understand a short quick trigger pull for the QA, but in a self defense situation assuming both guns have a round in the chamber, you just pull the trigger and go. If the AS has been decocked you have a long DA trigger pull, if not you would have a short/lighter trigger pull. Either way, your gun goes bang but with a possible longer/harder trigger pull on the 1st shot. I don't see that a significant disadvantage where it would require extra time for training.

Correct me if I am wrong in my thinking on this. This has been my thought process and if I am offbase here, please let me know as I might change my mind on models. Right now, I feel the AS is for me and everything I have read on these boards up till now has pointed me in that direction.

#8 · (Edited)
FWIW, I was a Glock owner for 18 months and quite used to that type of trigger. Yes - the AS trigger is different, and the first DA pull is slightly longer and heavier. But it's not like lifting a feather compared to a barbell. I'm a smaller guy with small hands and have no troubles with it; it's kind of amusing to me to imagine that normal 6ft tall, 180lbs guys have trouble with an 8lbs trigger vs 5lbs. ;)

It doesn't take much time, effort, or training to get used to the DA pull. It's a regular drill of mine to have the gun in DA mode at low/high ready, present the gun and fire quickly. Decock, rest a moment, and repeat.

The trigger is very smooth, very predictable, and the target result isn't too bad either. ;) I can understand that some simply prefer the Glock/QA trigger, and that's cool. But having shot both a LOT, i honestly prefer the AS.

thorn

#9 ·
I don't own a P99 yet, but I am looking at the AS version (have finally found one at a local shop that I can feel the gun instead of just look at on the net) but I don't know if I truly understand your reasoning here. I understand a short quick trigger pull for the QA, but in a self defense situation assuming both guns have a round in the chamber, you just pull the trigger and go. If the AS has been decocked you have a long DA trigger pull, if not you would have a short/lighter trigger pull. Either way, your gun goes bang but with a possible longer/harder trigger pull on the 1st shot. I don't see that a significant disadvantage where it would require extra time for training.
Some people feel like they can't shoot as well if the trigger pull distance and weight changes from one shot to the next. Personally I have not found this to be an issue for myself. I think if you take a shoot and let the trigger come all the way forward before you take another it might get annoying. I shoot from the reset point though and don't notice any problems.

#10 ·
I think if you take a shoot and let the trigger come all the way forward before you take another it might get annoying. I shoot from the reset point though and don't notice any problems.
I just learned how the AS trigger is "supposed" to operate when I went shooting with a guy Tuesday night. Within minutes my accuracy increased significantly. The only minor problem is that had to go out of town for the rest of this week and haven't been able to go to the range to practice. This weekend I plan to get there and shoot a few hundred rounds to imprint this into my brain and finger.

#18 ·
JMOFO:

I've never found the transition from the initial DA shot @8.8lbs and the follow up SA shots @4.4lbs on my P99/AS's to be of any significance.

I can guarantee you if you were shooting in self defense as opposed to at the range cutting paper the difference between the two would be no factor.

I consider the heavier first round DA shot as a safety factor that I did not get with my Glock 26's... I think most non-leo's and the like are better served by the NECESSITY of overcoming a slightly heavier first round shot..

That additional increase in trigger pull on the first round might be the very thing that saves you from having an ad/nd, and gives you just a bit more time to decide you might not want to shot at all...

I'm of the opinion that anytime you shoot someone, no matter how righteous legally, you are in for a long, hard road before it's all over. So IF you have the slightest chance to re-consider pulling the trigger before possibly taking a life, even if it's only 4.4lbs helping you make that decision, that's a plus imo.

If you have to shoot someone in defense of your life you can bet the farm you can expect the bereaved family members of the "choir boy" you had to shoot to be calling for your head and pocketbook before the bg is room temperature.. And there are LEGIONS of lawyers just sitting by the phone waiting for their call... :rolleyes:

Additionally that DA trigger pull on the first round might well save your bacon in a crisis if you pull your firearm and accidently pull the trigger in doing so.

I've owned and cc revolvers for over 4 decades... The heavier da first round has always been, for me, a safety factor that I wanted and appreciated, and in my pistols I prefer the same heavier first round da shot.

I've been considering the purchase of a PPS when the all black models hit the market, but I'm put off by the absence of a DA/SA trigger/striker... I think a firearm using the traditional DA/SA trigger is without a doubt the best choice for a person who is not a professional leo, or in a related field.. Most of us will be carrying a lot, and shooting a little. That combo is better served by a firearm with a heavier da trigger pull for the initial round.

Additionally if you read the comments of many P99 owners on the various forums you will find a very high percentage of them own and love the "AS" models. Even tho "AS" models are harder to find, if I were buying another P99 that's what I'd buy...

Just my old fart opinion... YMMV :D

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

#21 · (Edited)
I don't find the QA trigger to be particularly "Glock-like". It may be comparable in some ways, but the take-up and break are very different.

I was taught to shoot under law enforcement training conditions. The decided preference for that department was double action only, possibly as this was about the time of transtion from revolvers to semi-autos. It was also out of liability concerns as single actions and DA/SA were seen as potentially "hair triggers". To many the more deliberate pull required with a DAO was more desirable on several levels. I think for a carry gun this prejudice has stuck with me. I find the QA trigger take-up and break to be more akin to a DA only trigger with more resistance, a sort of springiness. My P99c is now rather well broke in and I find the pull to be smooth with a nice break, but, it requires a very deliberate pull. I'm not all that taken with the "same pull for every shot" aspect.

While the AS is a great trigger (my .40 P99 home defense gun is an AS) I think some of the alleged safety factor of the trigger is illusory. That first setting pull may give you an opportunity to back off, but if I'm pulling the trigger I'm pulling the trigger and second thoughts can get you killed. But for me, the little extra effort needed to pull the trigger of the QA serves the same purpose plus offers a gun that for me is better suited for carry without a degredation in accuracy.

As to the QA de-cocker, many will point out that it is made for decocking for field stripping. Walther is very careful to point out that it does not serve as a decocker for shooting purposes. Once the gun is decocked the slide must be racked to the rear a fraction of an inch to return the gun to shooting condition. Walther does not want this to be the condition under which the gun is used. I think the QA trigger is firm enough to not worry about an AD while carrying with one in the pipe if that is a major concern. If you carry the gun "decocked" it will still work, but only after having to partially rack the slide, an actiuon that may waste crucial time or be impossible due to injury. I will say that at the range I will decock the gun when I set it down (facing down range) as a partial rack of the slide isn't a big deal in a range situation.

But again, I consider the QA trigger to be very different from a Glock and such comparisons only serve to cloud the true nature of the QA.

That's just the way that I see it. Opinions will differ so the best way to know what is best for you is to shoot both triggers if you can, or at least dry fire them. Even then your opinion may change after a time. I had a choice between the QA and AS for my compact, and the QA was and still is my choice for that type of gun.

Q

#25 ·
I found a local shop with both and AS and a QA. I have been leaning toward the AS and still like the gun, but since the only QA they have is green, they have already made my mind up for me. I prefer all black. They also didn't want me to dry fire, so I couldn't get a real feel the triggers. I could tell the difference in AS for the "DA" pull and the "SA" pull without breaking. Just like I expected. I was just hoping to find cheaper. They want $600 for either and would like to find it a little cheaper. I know what they say about beggers though ...

#28 ·
BTW, a major difference between the Glock and QA trigger is that the Glock trigger is what one might call "two-staged". You pull the trigger through a springy first part and it has a definite stopping point where it can be held before the break. With the QA that second stage isn't there and the pull is one continous process where the spriginess is followed by the break without a stage where the semi-pull can be held. It is a major difference. It's more like a DAO pull except much much shorter.

#32 ·
Hey guys, don't mean to hijack this thread but it's kinda' relevant. I've read in old literature from Walther( before AS and QA) that the P99 is easily converted to fire double action only. Is this something that can still be done or did it require swapping of parts that Walther no longer makes? They may have stopped this when they came out with their P99 DAO. The literature talked like this was easily accomplished and just as easily reversed.

#33 ·
TNwaltherman:

Why would anyone chose to do that? One of the best aspects of the P99/AS or P99c/AS IS the DA/SA trigger/striker..

Besides there are plenty of QA/DAO (whatever it's called) NEW Walthers available all over the place.. The "AS" versions are the models that are in high demand and difficult to obtain.

JMOFO

JP

#34 ·
I don't. I was asking for those people who seem to not want the short QA trigger but don't want a traditional DA/SA. I'm sure Walther's aim was for those police forces that mandate DAO trigger systems. Personally, I think the AS is the best trigger ever put on a "plastic pistol" but we aren't all the same... if we were, we would all have the same weapon and Walther wouldn't have felt the need to introduce the DAO and later QA versions of their fine handgun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.