Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys:

I read the description for both models, the QA has a "glock-like" triguer pull, does the P99 QA has a decocker? Or it it always in a "safe action mode" like the glock?

Which one do you preferr and why? I guess I will have to find a QA to shoot and find out for myself, but I am just a bit confused. Thanks in advance guys and HAPPY Halloween to everyone!

Jeff

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a P99 qa with the titanium slide in .40 cal. (post 2004 model) The QA model DOES have the decocker. I never use it. I use it as a CCW. I have never shot a Glock, but for me, My P99 is very acurate and goes "BANG" every pull of the trigger, no matter what brand of ammo. I do have a custom Kimber, that does shoot better but, I paid more than 4 times as much for it, and it only holds 7 shots in the Mag. Good luck, whatever you choose, but i like the qa trigger, alot of folks don't.:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a P99 AS 9mm. I like the AS trigger system, if you want to see how it works check out Thorn's video on youtube.com I prefer the short, light trigger pull (0.3", 3.5lbs) on follow-up shots and the long, light (0.5", 3.5lbs) trigger pull of the first shot in "AS mode" is really nice too. I'm still new to the P99 and I haven't really used the long, heavy (0.5", 11lbs) DA trigger except for dry-firing.

I may be slightly off in my trigger travel and trigger pull weights, please forgive me.

The decocker in the QA models is mainly for field stripping, but I'll let the QA owners tell you more about that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. I went to the wikipedia website and they describe both the AS and the QA. Is just a bit confusing trying to understand it. Probably beause I have never handle a QA version. I have the P99 with no marks, I am assuming this is the AS version. I like it a lot. I thought about getting a QA since I was reading that it has a "glock-like" trigger pull, but then I have been reading that most people preffer the AS. I was wondering if there is anything negative with the QA version.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Oh, we all knew I would show up ;).

I have a P99 QA in .40. I would strongly lean you toward the AS trigger. I have had a very large amount of trigger trouble with mine. All of these troubles are fading rapidly as the pistol breaks in (1000 rounds so far) but I think the QA trigger is very long, heavy and gritty. You may of course have a different opinion ;). I think this trigger was intended specifically for the law enforcement folks who as a department wanted some specific trigger features.

I think these same features that make the trigger "safer" make it quite a bit different to shoot.

Having said that, the more I practice with it of course the better I am getting, but I would still prefer a shorter, lighter, crisper trigger.

I *do* like just about everything else (get night sights), but I wish I would have gone with the AS trigger myself.

·
Banned
154 Posts
I prefer the QA for carry/self defense. The Glock like trigger is the best for this scenario

The AS trigger has too many "modes" for SD situations. Great set up for range work. Now if you are willing to put in the extra time (ala P7) then the AS would be better for SD.

YMMV

·
Registered
361 Posts
I prefer the QA for carry/self defense. The Glock like trigger is the best for this scenario

The AS trigger has too many "modes" for SD situations. Great set up for range work. Now if you are willing to put in the extra time (ala P7) then the AS would be better for SD.

YMMV
I don't own a P99 yet, but I am looking at the AS version (have finally found one at a local shop that I can feel the gun instead of just look at on the net) but I don't know if I truly understand your reasoning here. I understand a short quick trigger pull for the QA, but in a self defense situation assuming both guns have a round in the chamber, you just pull the trigger and go. If the AS has been decocked you have a long DA trigger pull, if not you would have a short/lighter trigger pull. Either way, your gun goes bang but with a possible longer/harder trigger pull on the 1st shot. I don't see that a significant disadvantage where it would require extra time for training.

Correct me if I am wrong in my thinking on this. This has been my thought process and if I am offbase here, please let me know as I might change my mind on models. Right now, I feel the AS is for me and everything I have read on these boards up till now has pointed me in that direction.

·
Registered
536 Posts
FWIW, I was a Glock owner for 18 months and quite used to that type of trigger. Yes - the AS trigger is different, and the first DA pull is slightly longer and heavier. But it's not like lifting a feather compared to a barbell. I'm a smaller guy with small hands and have no troubles with it; it's kind of amusing to me to imagine that normal 6ft tall, 180lbs guys have trouble with an 8lbs trigger vs 5lbs. ;)

It doesn't take much time, effort, or training to get used to the DA pull. It's a regular drill of mine to have the gun in DA mode at low/high ready, present the gun and fire quickly. Decock, rest a moment, and repeat.

The trigger is very smooth, very predictable, and the target result isn't too bad either. ;) I can understand that some simply prefer the Glock/QA trigger, and that's cool. But having shot both a LOT, i honestly prefer the AS.

thorn

·
Registered
525 Posts
I don't own a P99 yet, but I am looking at the AS version (have finally found one at a local shop that I can feel the gun instead of just look at on the net) but I don't know if I truly understand your reasoning here. I understand a short quick trigger pull for the QA, but in a self defense situation assuming both guns have a round in the chamber, you just pull the trigger and go. If the AS has been decocked you have a long DA trigger pull, if not you would have a short/lighter trigger pull. Either way, your gun goes bang but with a possible longer/harder trigger pull on the 1st shot. I don't see that a significant disadvantage where it would require extra time for training.
Some people feel like they can't shoot as well if the trigger pull distance and weight changes from one shot to the next. Personally I have not found this to be an issue for myself. I think if you take a shoot and let the trigger come all the way forward before you take another it might get annoying. I shoot from the reset point though and don't notice any problems.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I think if you take a shoot and let the trigger come all the way forward before you take another it might get annoying. I shoot from the reset point though and don't notice any problems.
I just learned how the AS trigger is "supposed" to operate when I went shooting with a guy Tuesday night. Within minutes my accuracy increased significantly. The only minor problem is that had to go out of town for the rest of this week and haven't been able to go to the range to practice. This weekend I plan to get there and shoot a few hundred rounds to imprint this into my brain and finger.

·
Banned
154 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong in my thinking on this. This has been my thought process and if I am offbase here, please let me know as I might change my mind on models. Right now, I feel the AS is for me and everything I have read on these boards up till now has pointed me in that direction.

The SA trigger is too short and light to be carried that way IMHO, therefore the gun must be decocked. I am not a big fan of multi-mode triggers and the popularity of the Glock bears this out. YMMV

·
Registered
536 Posts
The SA trigger is too short and light to be carried that way IMHO, therefore the gun must be decocked. I am not a big fan of multi-mode triggers and the popularity of the Glock bears this out. YMMV
Glock only makes one style of trigger, so it's impossible to compare this as a reason for popularity. If you want a Glock for whatever reason, you're getting that trigger whether you prefer it or not.

thorn

·
Registered
24 Posts
I see no reason why the AS trigger couldn't be carried in AS mode with the full pull. That is in fact the whole purpose of the AS trigger. As long as you have a holster with the trigger covered I just don't see it being a problem.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Once again having never fired an AS (but I have used a glock) and just my own research between triggers it would seem that the best way to carry the AS gun is with 1 in the chamber and decocked. Yes the trigger pull with DA but it would be safer when getting out of a holster with a harder trigger pull if you screw up and have your finger on the trigger early. With the glock trigger as soon as your finger is on the trigger it is ready to fire with a relatively light pull. Now watching Thorn's video (thanks Thorn for that by the way) I would agree if you have the gun's trigger set 1/2 way back with one in the chamber it could be dangerous as it would be a very short and light pull to fire. Maybe its just the guns I am used to firing like the PPK. Your first pull is hard and your second pull is light. I don't see that as a significant problem and the increased safety (although a small increase) aspect of the AS trigger seems best for me.

But to quote you ... "YMMV"

·
Banned
154 Posts
I see no reason why the AS trigger couldn't be carried in AS mode with the full pull. That is in fact the whole purpose of the AS trigger. As long as you have a holster with the trigger covered I just don't see it being a problem.
But that is NOT what I wrote. Please reread.

·
Banned
154 Posts
Glock only makes one style of trigger, so it's impossible to compare this as a reason for popularity. If you want a Glock for whatever reason, you're getting that trigger whether you prefer it or not.

thorn
Not impossible at all. One of the selling points of the Glock IS the trigger.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Not impossible at all. One of the selling points of the Glock IS the trigger.
I should rephrase what i was getting at...

The Glock is definitely popular, so we can determine that it's trigger style is also popular. However, there are millions of DA/SA guns out there with happy owners. So, at most all one can really say is that both types of trigger are popular.

I think it's great there's more than one style. Everyone's different, and choices rock. :)

thorn

·
Registered
335 Posts
JMOFO:

I've never found the transition from the initial DA shot @8.8lbs and the follow up SA shots @4.4lbs on my P99/AS's to be of any significance.

I can guarantee you if you were shooting in self defense as opposed to at the range cutting paper the difference between the two would be no factor.

I consider the heavier first round DA shot as a safety factor that I did not get with my Glock 26's... I think most non-leo's and the like are better served by the NECESSITY of overcoming a slightly heavier first round shot..

That additional increase in trigger pull on the first round might be the very thing that saves you from having an ad/nd, and gives you just a bit more time to decide you might not want to shot at all...

I'm of the opinion that anytime you shoot someone, no matter how righteous legally, you are in for a long, hard road before it's all over. So IF you have the slightest chance to re-consider pulling the trigger before possibly taking a life, even if it's only 4.4lbs helping you make that decision, that's a plus imo.

If you have to shoot someone in defense of your life you can bet the farm you can expect the bereaved family members of the "choir boy" you had to shoot to be calling for your head and pocketbook before the bg is room temperature.. And there are LEGIONS of lawyers just sitting by the phone waiting for their call... :rolleyes:

Additionally that DA trigger pull on the first round might well save your bacon in a crisis if you pull your firearm and accidently pull the trigger in doing so.

I've owned and cc revolvers for over 4 decades... The heavier da first round has always been, for me, a safety factor that I wanted and appreciated, and in my pistols I prefer the same heavier first round da shot.

I've been considering the purchase of a PPS when the all black models hit the market, but I'm put off by the absence of a DA/SA trigger/striker... I think a firearm using the traditional DA/SA trigger is without a doubt the best choice for a person who is not a professional leo, or in a related field.. Most of us will be carrying a lot, and shooting a little. That combo is better served by a firearm with a heavier da trigger pull for the initial round.

Additionally if you read the comments of many P99 owners on the various forums you will find a very high percentage of them own and love the "AS" models. Even tho "AS" models are harder to find, if I were buying another P99 that's what I'd buy...

Just my old fart opinion... YMMV :D

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hey, old fart, those are damn nice pictures!

banddr2:

Thanks, I appreciate the compliment.

I'll be sure and relay your comments to my Kodak "old fart proof" 4690 "Easyshare" digital camera..

Truth is the camera does 99% of the work, I just press the button. :D

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

1 - 20 of 35 Posts