Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help in selecting the 'best' one out of two - P99 QA 9mm vs. Springfield XD-9 (also 9mm). From what I’ve heard from forums/Internet and local shooting range / gun stores, they both are great guns, no questions. XD-9 seems to be a better buy overall (more safety, more reliable, lifetime warranty, $100 less than P99), but I like P99 ergonomics a lot! Which one, and the most important - why - you would select if this is your only (and first) handgun for home/self protection?

·
Registered
821 Posts
I "have" both.  Actually, my wife has the XD9...

I'll have to say, as much as I like her XD, I still like the P99 better.  Not because of ergonomics, the XD really comes close to the feel of the P99.  The trigger on the XD is probably better than the P99 QA.  My wife's XD trigger feels about like the single action on my P99 AS (around 5 pounds or so).

I do not believe that the XD will be more reliable than the P99.  They are both modern duty firearms and their reliabilities are similar enough to be dropped from consideration.

Safety is a similar point.  Though the XD has a grip safety, both guns WILL NOT FIRE unless the trigger is pulled completely and evenly to the rear.  

The biggest difference between the two is definitely the finish.  The P99, hands down, has a better, more robust finish than the XD.  Some XD owners report occurances of rust on their slides.  We haven't found any yet on my wife's (we keep it wiped down with oil).  So, if you're new to guns, taking care of them and such, you might be better served by the P99 and it's better tennifer finish.  I think 100 extra dollars is WELL worth getting a better finish!  This is especially true if this will be a nightstand gun.  Ya know, one that doesn't get taken out and wiped with oil very often...

If the finish doesn't bother you, get the XD.  You will not be disappointed. Actually, the XD is the gun that has impressed me the most since I got the P99.  That feeling when I got my P99, the awe and happiness while exploring all of it's great features, was also apparent when we bought my wife the XD.  Luckily, you haven't chosen GLOCK.  I think you'll agree, handle a glock, then handle an XD, the XD just feels like a better gun.  So, again, if you don't mind the finish, get the XD, it is just as good as the P99 and a bit cheaper (based on my experiences).

-stunks

P.S. sorry for all the edits, kept thinking of stuff I wanted to mention

·
Registered
72 Posts
I got the P99 because I like traditional DA/SA firearms without external safeties. If you prefer the XD, by all means, get it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You may want to check out the S&W 990L as this is a quick-action, and the latest incarnation of the P99. I understand it has a 10 lbs. trigger pull.

·
Registered
6 Posts
First of all let me say that I do not own a P99.

That being said I love my XD9 (4"). I find it to be a gun that's easy to shoot well, especially if you happen to be a novice. I've personally never shot anything but a full-size high-end 1911 better. The trigger is very smooth and seems much lighter than it really is. It also happens to have a grip safety which I like. After Springfield replaced the extractor (on a pistol I bought used) under warranty it's been nothing but fun. I've had 250 trouble free rounds through it since then which is pretty impressive considering they were reloaded ammo from Cabela's for dirt cheap.

I have three gripes about it; two major, one minor.

-Accuracy: I find that it's combat accurate, but just. Even from a close range it won't drive tacks. I've tried from ten yards with a full magazine and only hit the tack on the last round.

-Finish: It shows wear easily and some owners have had problems with rust.

-Long Trigger Reset: This is a very insignifigant annoyance and hasn't affected my shooting at all.

So what should you get?

-Short answer: The XD. Fun + Cheap = Good

-Long answer: Both. Although I really enjoy my XD I'm still in the market for a P99 (9mm AS if anyone is interested in selling) for it's durability and accuracy, neither of which I feel the XD can match.

·
Registered
821 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (cerberus @ Sep. 26 2005,01:13)]-Accuracy:  I find that it's combat accurate, but just.  Even from a close range it won't drive tacks.  I've tried from ten yards with a full magazine and only hit the tack on the last round.
That's unfortunate to hear.  My wife's XD IS a tack driver.  It is extremely accurate at moderate range which is surprising, especially because it is a subcompact.  Offhand, my wife shoots 1.75 inch groups at 7 yards.  The gun is a hair short for me, I tend to do better with my P99, and oddly my PPK, than I do with our "her" XD.

Tests I've read on the internet put the service model at an accuracy of 2 to 2.5 inch groups at 25 yards from a rest.  This is comparable to other service pistols in the market, even the P99 which groups similarly

It is possible that your XD might have a loose fit.  Perhaps a gunsmith or custom shop could tighten up your slide to barrel fit and slide to frame fit just a hair to see if you could squeeze a little more accuracy out of it.  Also, some people don't shoot all guns well.

Sorry to ramble, it struck me as interesting that you don't feel your XD is very accurate.  We have no complaints with ours (again, it's a subcompact!).

-stunks

P.S. trade in that XD and get a XD tactical! I really want one of those for me after the good XD experience with my wife

·
Registered
30 Posts
Strange. My 4" XD9 is a tack driver as well. My P99AS is about the same. I really wanted to get a subcompact XD for concealed carry, but I can conceal my 4" XD9 and P99AS without issues.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'm leaning towards P99 more and more. Looks like P99 and XD-9 could be compared as BMW 325i with Honda Accord

The trigger on the XD is probably better than the P99 QA (stunksinatl).
Not sure if you are comparing the same things as you indicated you have P99 AS ("anti-stress" = DA/SA). DA/SA and QA are quite different, right? I think, QA is the way to go now as it's supposedly better than DA/SA (at least based on what’s being implemented by other manufacturers, including Springfield and Glock). If not, why would Walther add QA line to already existing P99 DA/SA?

The only concern I have is if just 7-8 mm trigger path on QA (even with 3,800 g of weight) is safe enough... Does anybody have practical experience carrying/using QA (not DAO) model?

Is the idea behind practical using QA is to keep it loaded in an explicitly decocked mode (engage the decocker after loading a round into the chamber) and then quickly re-cock by short slide movement right before firing? Otherwise, how QA could be considered “one of the safest” with a loaded chamber and a very short trigger path?

For comparison, trigger length/weight for:
  - Glock 19 = 12.5 mm / 2.500 g (5.5 lbs)
  - XD-9      = ??.? mm / 2,500-3,500 g (5.5-7.7 lbs)

Please note I’m talking about QA, not DAO model – they are different for P99.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well... The graph is good, of course but I was kind of hoping to get an opinion from a person who really used QA (not other P99 models but QA) in action and can share his experience - can QA with its short trigger distance be considered safe for personal/home use (obviously, with some normal training) or it's only for SWAT teams.

·
Registered
821 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (snovi @ Sep. 26 2005,16:23)]Is the idea behind practical using QA is to keep it loaded in an explicitly decocked mode (engage the decocker after loading a round into the chamber) and then quickly re-cock by short slide movement right before firing? Otherwise, how QA could be considered “one of the safest” with a loaded chamber and a very short trigger path?
By "one of the safest" they mean that it will not discharge until somebody consciously engages the trigger with a trigger finger and pulls fully rearward.

The precocked striker doesn't have enough force, should it disengage, to set off the primer of the round in the chamber.

Also, there is a firing pin block that doesn't disengage until the trigger has been depressed and is close to releasing the sear to fire the weapon.  Thus, even if the striker was fully cocked, the firing pin block wouldn't let it contact the primer.  This is actually how the XD works, the striker is ALWAYS fully cocked.  You have your firing pin block, grip safety, and trigger safety to "keep" the gun safe.

I'm sure you've heard, "the best safety is the one between your ears" or something like that.  The best thing you can do to keep a QA safe is to invest in a good holster that completely covers the trigger guard until the gun is drawn.  Then, if you want to shoot, you simply pull the trigger and make it so.  If you don't want to shoot, don't pull the trigger.

The design of the QA is not inherently unsafe to carry loaded.  That said, my advice is DON'T decock your QA, if that's what you end up buying.  You will likely not have those extra few seconds in a SHTF situation to retract the slide just enough to cock, you might as well leave the chamber empty.  Hope this helps.  Good luck on your purchase.

-stunks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, it does help, thank you!

Is that what others, who have QA, would recommend - keep it loaded and don't de-cock after loading chamber (for storage and carrying)?

·
Registered
328 Posts
If I understand correctly, the Deckocked P99QA is not a safety condition. It is designed for dissasembly without having to pull the trigger. As I understand it the QA model is similar to the glock in not having second strike capability. It's not a good idea to carry a weapon like that in what is essentially condition 3

My P99 is the AS model. I currently don't carry it as I have not qualified with it (yet). But I would carry the AS in single action mode.

·
Registered
141 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (madecov @ Sep. 27 2005,10:14)]If I understand correctly, the Deckocked P99QA is not a safety condition. It is designed for dissasembly without having to pull the trigger. As I understand it the QA model is similar to the glock in not having second strike capability. It's not a good idea to carry a weapon like that in what is essentially condition 3

My P99 is the AS model. I currently don't carry it as I have not qualified with it (yet). But I would carry the AS in single action mode.
i dont understand

you said
My P99 is the AS model. I currently don't carry it as I have not qualified with it (yet). that means what

you carried in Single action with a bullet in the pipe?

·
Registered
328 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (stunksinatl @ Sep. 27 2005,20:41)]madecov is LE, you have to qualify with a weapon on the department's range before you can carry it on the job.

-stunks
Correct

1 - 17 of 17 Posts