Walther Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 9 months of waiting here in occupied California, the P99 I ordered came in.  I ordered an ambidextrious slide release version and naturally, instead I got the standard model.  Has anyone purchased the ambi slide QA and more importantly, do any of you live in California.  If you answered yes to both questions, how did you get a hold of yours?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yes, ambidextrious safeties must be a feature of "assult pistols" in Comiefornia...

Seriously I find it funny that my AKT-98 and my friend's P22, both in .22LR are illegal in Cali, but up untill last year's my other friend's AR-50 was perfectly legal. Of course any good terrorist should be able to shoot down an airplane on takeoff with a bolt action .50BMG, especially if they hit, you know something moving 100 +mph, 100 feet in the air in one shot and manage to hit something critical, like the pilot... but I digress...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I live in the SF Bay Area and have also been trying to locate a P99 with ambi slide release. I have contacted a couple of distributors and numerous dealers without success. I even contacted Walther in Germany by e-mail and the only comment they had was to refer me to S&W. S&W informed me that, although the ambi model was featured in their 2004 Walther catalog, they did not import it. Earl’s told me that they can get it, but for LEO’s only. To add to the confusion, someone on this forum wrote about four months ago that he had seen the ambi model in 40 Cal at a dealer in the mid west.

Walther and S&W do such a poor job at marketing, I don’t know why they would feature a product in their US catalog and then not offer it for sale to the public. If I get any further info I will post it.

Looking at the H&K P2000 as a second choice. Completely ambi  and offers numerous trigger variants but very expensive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I talked to S&W again today and they informed me that they do not import any of the Walther ambi models even for LEO's. They suggested that I look at their new S&W M&P pistol due on the market in December. It has an ambi slide release and reversable mag release. I asked them why they did not go ahead and offer an ambi mag release making it completely ambidextrous. They said it was not practicle and that there was a possibility that the mag could be released acccidently when the gun is holstered. I told them that I have never heard that complaint about the P99 on this forum or anywhere else. I had to remind them that they already have the ambi mag feature on their SW99. Not very impressed with S&W or their promotion of Walther products.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.