Walther Forums banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
The original is still the best.
Matter of personal opinion...

Not dogging the AS trigger (it's actually damned excellent) but the QA isn't the worst thing Walther has ever done either.

I like mine, just wish it wasn't on a .40. I'd probably let my wife carry it daily.

You want to talk about a purely crap trigger, then go try a S&W Bodyguard .380. It's like dragging your index finger through a gravel filled corn field, then finally catching the edge of a 2x4 at the far end, and getting rapped in the hand with a piece of wood while a firecracker goes off in your ear.

The reset takes you all the way back across the corn field for another long slow drag, about like watching two Geo Metro cars race. Slow, painful, and not at all confidence inspiring LOL.

There's a few tricks one can do to a QA pistol to make it feel better, short of changing springs, I've done all that, and mine isn't all that bad now. It was also barely shot when I got it, and I haven't put but maybe 175 rounds through it, if that even. Would have to check my log to know for sure. ;)

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Of course it is.

Not much that I have comes close to the trigger on my P99. The P88 would right up there for the ultimate in smoothness. The P5 is great too right up until it starts to stack from lifting the firing pin, but still not bad.

The P99 trigger reset can't be beaten by anything I have, have had, or have fired. Pretty nice.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Not dogging the AS trigger (it's actually damned excellent) but the QA isn't the worst thing Walther has ever done either.
The trigger on my QA is smooth as silk and breaks crisp and I just ordered a 5 lb wolff striker spring to see if I can lighten it to the same pull as the AS in SA mode but with the obvious longer reset. I don't believe I would ever want to trade mine for anything else, though I've never shot the SA and wouldn't want to shoot the DAO (It's probably just like the PPX).

·
Registered
184 Posts
The manual says "Each shot will be fired in the striker fire action mode." so it seems like QA to me. There's nothing in the manual that states it any more clearly. Website says "fast to spring into action..."
Found this too: "Striker Fire Action, pre-cocked" PPS Detail

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Is the PPS a QA or DAO?
I've seen it written in several places that it's DAO. Given that it's a lot like @lock in that it completes the cocking process and then fires on the same trigger pull, I'd agree. While it does feel heavier and stiffer and not so silky smooth as the PPQ, this shouldn't be meant to diss the PPS. It's not really meant to be a IDPA contender, although it's certainly accurate enough...it's basically a deep cover, "ace in the hole", to borrow from Jack Higgins' character Sean Dillon of the rogue IRA-turned-Group Four "problem solver".

Echoplex, let me know how the 5ib wolf works for you...I may order one to try as well. :D

·
Registered
394 Posts
I was reading the Wiki on the PPS this morning and found this:

The internal pre-loaded internal striker is a variant of the partially cocked striker system of the Walther P99 Quick Action model. When the trigger is pulled, the already partially cocked striker is fully cocked and released, firing the pistol. An indicator on the back of the slide shows if the striker is partially cocked. The 'QuickSafe' trigger variant main difference with the Walther P99 Quick Action trigger is that removing the PPS pistol's backstrap will disable the gun for safe storage by decocking and blocking the striker until the backstrap is reinstalled. The PPS has a trigger travel of approximately 6 mm (0.2 in) and a trigger pull of approximately 27 N (6.1 lbf). Unlike many other trigger systems preset internal strikers have a let-off point and trigger pull that remains unchanged from the first shot to the last and requires no decocker.

I guess it is a variant of the P99 QA

·
Registered
184 Posts
Echoplex, let me know how the 5ib wolf works for you...I may order one to try as well. :D
Just put in the 5lb Wolff spring. It is very light in pull but still breaks just as clean as before. It will take a few shots to get used to. I don't want to be loud right now so I will fire it tomorrow to see how I really like it. I took a side by side comparison between the stock P99QA spring and the Glock spring I am using but will post that with my findings on shooting as I am on my phone and can't upload.

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
Let us know. I had a wolff 5lbs spring in but took it out and never fired it after I got the AS. Curious to how reliable it is since I still have it. I know I had light primer strikes with the glock 5lbs so I was afraid to use it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I added a photo to my post above. I am little worried about light strikes myself, skeeter. Yesterday, before I got home I went to the range I pass every day on the way home and tried out the AS model cause I never felt the need to before but now wanted to have something to compare to. That trigger is very interesting. I don't very much like that first full in DA or the long pull in SA. It just makes me think "wait for it... wait for it... bang!". I loved the short pull when you don't let your finger forward, but don't need that. It seemed to far back and I didn't feel in control. I guess I'm just used to the QA. I'm sure if I had bought the AS first I'd be singing its praises like everyone else. If I don't have to do anything when I get home I'll get to try out my "not for duty use" trigger.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I added a photo to my post above. I am little worried about light strikes myself, skeeter. Yesterday, before I got home I went to the range I pass every day on the way home and tried out the AS model cause I never felt the need to before but now wanted to have something to compare to. That trigger is very interesting. I don't very much like that first full in DA or the long pull in SA. It just makes me think "wait for it... wait for it... bang!". I loved the short pull when you don't let your finger forward, but don't need that. It seemed to far back and I didn't feel in control. I guess I'm just used to the QA. I'm sure if I had bought the AS first I'd be singing its praises like everyone else. If I don't have to do anything when I get home I'll get to try out my "not for duty use" trigger.
funny that you mentioned the trigger "break" being too far back because i said the same thing versus the QA trigger. I havent shot my QA in about a year and half, i have been shooting the AS, and not much at that. Im kinda torn right now. Im finding the more i use the AS the more i like the lightness of the pull and the more im getting used to the trigger. i love that unless you decock it, it stays in single action because i have arthritis and its a task to get the trigger pulled at 11lbs. But as i have been getting my arthritis under control i find that the QA isnt that much harder anymore.

Next time i go shooting i guess my real test will be accuracy, stock for stock! does the extra 3ish pounds really cause me to pull? i am getting good with the AS and the pull isnt as painful as it used to be (i mean the fact the trigger comes back further not length), but i do like the decocker of the QA. Both guns have night sights, but the AS long ambi slide locks are nice.

Like i said let me know how you do with light strikes, the GLOCK spring has about 1-2 every 30 rounds so i quit with 2 at 50 rounds. even if its a viable option i may leave my stock spring because i use the QA as a home defense and the AS as my go out fun gun. I kinda look at it as weekend car and daily driver lol. but keep us updated.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Like i said let me know how you do with light strikes ....... but keep us updated.
I had very light strikes with my QA and the 5lb Glock spring and took it out and went back to the stock QA spring. There actually isn't much of a difference when I shoot it because it still goes bang at the same spot with either spring. I recorded a video with my phone clipped to my shirt (yeah, I don't have a GoPro) for my reference so I can recall when it fired and when it failed:
P99QA with 5lb Wolff spring;
Fresh mag in, and...
10 shots off fine then FTF, pulled slide back to pre-load striker, one more shot off, then FTF, pre-load, FTF, pre-load, FTF, eject cartridge, replace mag, FTF, rack, FTF, rack, FTF, eject and replace, FTF, rack, FTF... no more shots off at all and gave up.
Went inside, put the original spring back and emptied 2 15rd mags with the same ammo lot, then put the unfired cartridge in the chamber and fired it too to show it wasn't the cartridge that was messed up.
There is a large photo of my findings and a guide to do the spring below. Only takes about 3 minutes to put it back. The photo in the middle on top is the unfired cartridge.
In conclusion, I'm sure a 5.5lb or 6lb spring would work much better, but I'm not going to try. I'm gonna give my wolff spring to someone who has a Glock. I'm only out $6+change. Just gonna put some night sights on it next week and call it done.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I will try a 5.5 spring in mine then, and I will be sure to reference my findings here when I do.

I would also like to get a gauge of sorts to test the before and after trigger weight/pull, instead of just "it feels lighter".. :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Wait a second I don't have the Wolff I have the ghost Inc spring. I believe it is 6 lbs extra power spring. When I talked to them they said it was more reliable the n a stock glock spring in a glock. Once I got the AS I swapped back to stock and never got a chance to fire it. Lemme see if I can put it back in and test it up to 200ish rounds. Will update if I can.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought P99 AS 9mm on the gunbrocker, brand new for $524 including shipping to my local FFL. There, I will pay another $20 for transfer. The same local dealer had/has PPQ in stock. I handled it and dry fired it. Not bad at all. But thanks to you guys, here on waltherforums, and all of your extensive info on all models I decided to buy P99 AS as I thought that I will like it more than others. It will be my first polymer and first striker fired pistol (shot many Glocks in different calibers... It's just not for me). I am following tracking number via FedEx and it should be here today. Can't wait to see if I made a right choice.

Again, thanks to all of you who helped me make decision.

P.S.

Please let me know if you know where to buy decent night sights for P99 AS. Please keep in mind that I am on pretty tight budget. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9 Posts
After 500+ rounds of various manufacturers and FJM, HP, I just fell in love with P99 AS. I never fired QA and DAO or PPQ but I am really not sure if gets any better than AS. It fired flawlessly with all ammo I fed it. Trigger is amazing. AS mode is really nice, tough I carry decocked (yes, P99 AS quickly became my carry piece. I just had to fire few hundred of different rounds trough it before I trust my life to it). Ease of switching to decocked or AS is really nice, too.

I thought that kick in 9MM will be much more felt than my CZ 75 SP-01 and 75B but I was pleasantly surprised that I can easy handle it and reacquire target really quickly. Double taps were not problem either. I think it would not be as nice in .40 but I really don't know since I never shot it.

All in all, I am very satisfied with my P99 AS. Again, I have to thank all of peeps here on forum for valuable info on P99 and it's different triggers, that made me decide what I want. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Guys, I don't know where else to put this, so I am going to drop it here.

I just noticed something about my P99 AS that makes a little...well, not happy. I am used to not to load the magazine to it's full capacity to make it easier on the mag spring. Since I own 2 CZ's 75, 75B and SP-01 (16+1 and 18+1) I always put 15 and 1 in the chamber in 75B and 16 and 1 in the chamber in SP-01.

When I bought P99 AS, I put 14 in the magazine and one in the chamber. Then, today, since P99 holds "only" 15 rounds I decided to put that 1 remaining round in the magazine.
I tried to push the magazine in like I am used to (gentle but firm to make sure it "clicks" and then I always pull the magazine to make sure it inserted correctly. I really take good care about my guns. I don't like scratches, scuffs, etc...) and then when I expected it to go all the way in, it stopped. I pushed a bit more but no go. I pulled the mag out and checked if the round was inserted correctly. Everything seemed OK. So I put mag back in the pistol and pressed harder this time. After I pressed REALLY HARD, magazine was finally in. Then I pressed on mag release to see how that's gonna be. Again I had to press much harder to release a magazine but not as bad as to load it in the pistol.

At that moment in my magazine were Liberty "Civil Defense" HP (9mm). I thought it might be the type of ammo that somehow is affecting full mag problem. I grabbed Winchester FMJ target round and put it as last round in the mag. Again, same problem. As soon I take that last round out of magazine everything is perfect again. So, I took the 15th round out and now I have 1 round less than mag capacity. It's not a big deal but I think I should be able to have full capacity loaded and have no problems like with all other pistols I own and owned in the past 20 years (lots of CZ's, 1911, Sig and Berettas). I don't want to damage something by pushing the mag in the pistol with so much force.

BTW, with 15 rounds in the mag, I have no problem to chamber and eject the rounds...

Anyone has/had similar issue with P99? If so, please let me know what have you done to fix the problem. Or should I contact Walther? Others who know something about P99's are welcome with any advice.

Thanks for any and all responses.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts