Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a P99 9mm with about 500 rounds through it. It stopped working the other day. The trigger can't drop the striker. If I rack the slide, the striker is ready to go (red indicator is exposed). If I pull the trigger, the striker does not drop. What happens is weird. When the trigger reaches break, the striker releases and just follows the release of the trigger back into the slide. The striker does not drop. It just follows the trigger as if the trigger is keeping it from dropping independently.

If I pull the trigger in double action mode, the striker indicator appears, but it never reaches a cocked state. As in SA mode, the striker just follows the release of the trigger back into the slide. I did pull the striker out, and it looked fine to me. One detail, when I rack the slide, the decocker works like it always does. Any ideas, suggestions, please help.

By the way, where do I sent the pistol if work needs to be done (Walther, SW?)? I've only had it for 6 months.

Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
If mine did that I would send it back to whom it was purchased from. Dumb question but did you take the striker out to clean it prior to it ceasing to function, or drop it, use hot loads, or something?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never removed the striker prior to the problem. I was using some reloads (under powered) and some Wolf (I think) that day.

·
Registered
229 Posts
This is just my best guess from afar:

Wolf ammunition is infamous for being very dirty, i.e., leaving a lot of residue in the gun.  If you are aware of this and are willing to clean thoroughly, it's usually not a HUGE problem.

If your P99 was mine, I would remove the striker assembly and thoroughly clean the slide striker channel and striker assembly with Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber.  Reassemble  the striker in the slide without lubing.

Also, clean the frame, incl. trigger mechanism - I wouldn't use Gun Scrubber on the frame; it's been reported that it may soften the polymer.

Reassemble gun and see if your problem has been resolved.  LMK.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I concur...Wolf is reported to have an orange laquer type substance to make it waterproof and even though 100's have said they have shot thousands of rounds with no problems many others have had problems such as yours. Sounds like you already cleaned it but that is a small hole the striker goes through! Good luck and let us know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts