Walther Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well I have had this P99 for a awhile now, I am not the original owner but I know him and I know it has not been shot a lot. This specific gun is an older QPQ full size chambered in .40cal. This was my first handgun so selling it is not really or any interest to me. Now for the problem, the I just shot 50 rounds of Blazer Brass 180gr out of it this afternoon and out the 50 rounds I had about 6-8 premature slide lock back. The last time I remember taking the gun to that range I has an issue with the gun (this could have just been me not holding the gun right, and I have not had this happen again..yet) firing two shots pre trigger pull. Right now I am just curious if anyone else on here has had a similar problem with a P99 or maybe even a different gun. Any help would be great before I contact Walther. Speaking of Walther, has anyone ever had to send a gun into Walther for service? If you have, what kind of service did they provide? Thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I had a similar problem with my P99, at the time Smith & Wesson handled the warranty and they were easy to deal with, I haven't had to send anything to Walther in Ft Smith so I can't comment on their service.

My slide stop had the spring somehow dragging on the inside of the frame. This caused a rough area that would bind with every shot and lock the slide back.

If it happend again I'd take a very fine piece of sandpaper and lightly sand then polish the area since that's how they fixed it last time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
Ok well I have had this P99 for a awhile now, I am not the original owner but I know him and I know it has not been shot a lot. This specific gun is an older QPQ full size chambered in .40cal.
Are you using the original factory mags?

What color are the followers on the mags?

Have you tried shooting thumbs down?

Have you tried shooting left-handed?

Have you ever ran a rag up or down the magwell for cleaning?

·
Registered
429 Posts
watch your thumb during firing. Ive had people shoot mine and their thumb snags the slide lock on the recoil. Try wrapping your firing hand thumb way out over the other hand for a few mags and see if it comes back.

I've also had people shoot the AS trigger and tell me it fired twice, when really they were expecting the trigger to go back to the DA length/pull and were putting pressure on the trigger as it reset. double tap. I've done that one a couple times myself, on purpose.

I've sent guns to both S&W and the new walther. had a PPSm1 that wouldnt fire if you put sideways pressure on the trigger. I shipped it to them at my expense (S&W covered my first PPS and PPK when they went in. PPK was something dumb i did and the PPS just needed broken in...). I had it back in 4 days with a new trigger assembly and the problem fixed. Easy. Use the phone, not the email form.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Most likely, you're contacting the lever with your thumb while shooting. However, it is possible that there could be a breakage at fault.

Take the slide off of the frame and *gently* (you don't want to damage the spring if it's not already broken!) push up on the slide lock lever to verify that the spring is still good. As far as I know, I'm the only example of someone having that spring fail, but it can happen, and the symptom is random premature slidelocks, because without the spring, the slide lock lever is free to bounce up and down under recoil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.