Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
P99 P99AS P99QA are there 3 actions?

Are these 3 different actions in .40cal
I know the AS and QA are different, but is the P99 yet a third choice in .40cal? Also what is DAO, yet another?
please explain ...
P99
P99AS
P99QA
P99DAO (is this yet another action?)
or point me to a web page, thanks.

Also if I carry CCW with 1 round in the chamber
which P99 is safest? I want to be able to "present" and pull the trigger as quickly as possible, but I want the "safest" action first.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
P99 DAO - heavy DAO trigger - full length
P99 A/S - DA/AS
P99 QA - Heavy, but short trigger - same on every shot - similiar to a Glock

The regular "P99" w/ no letters was actually the A/S model - the first version. They just didn't call it "A/S" at that time.

I think the safest 1 to carry w/ a round in the chamber is the A/S - U get the heavier DA pull on the first shot.

I do not think you want the DAO - those hardly sell at all.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Vic,

DAO is Double Action Only.

I personally like the QA's the best. I get better accuracy out of them. Not sure why. I'm not concerned about the percieve "added safety" of the AS model. If you train yourself to follow Rule #3 of gun safety, you'll have no problem. If you don't like that rule, than you probably shouldn't be shooting anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Babies???
Well with a good holster you can carry the P99/AS cocked and trigger in forward position .. hows that for babies !!

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
I disagree.......
I don't carry it cocked... but I was saying that you could the way the trigger was designed... since it stays in the forward position..

I am a "AS" guy too... I don't care for precocked guns at all...

·
Registered
821 Posts
BINGO!

Not to mention, the first DA pull on an AS strangely feels more and more butter-like as the gun is used. It is a wonderful thing.

I'd still like a QA at some point, just to say I've got one.

-stunks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Responded to a similar question on another forum so I thought I'd post here as well.

The P99 DAO has a trigger pull of 8.8 lbs (4000g) and a length of 14mm on each shot.

The P99 QA has a trigger pull of 8.4 lbs (3800g) and a length of 7 mm on each shot.

The P99 AS has a rather unique trigger. Decocked, it has a first shot trigger pull of 8.8 lbs and a length of 14 mm on the first shot (same as the DAO).

If it is not decocked, it has a trigger pull of only 4.4 lbs (2000g), but the length will still be 14 mm (the trigger won't go back when manually cocked).

The second shot after firing, will have a trigger pull of 4.4 lbs, and a length of 5mm, as will all subsequent shots.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Seems to me that if you are comfortable carrying a glock with one in the pipe. You should feel good about carrying a P99 with one in the pipe cocked.

I know GLock o philes will say that the glock is striker fired and the striker spring is only 60% loaded. However I am pretty sure that the 60% would be enough to touch off a round.

I carry my glock with one in the pipe and I think I will carry my P99 AS cocked with on in the pipe as well.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
One thing you guys need to remember is that even though the striker is "half-cocked" on the P99QA or the Glock pistols, both have a plate that is blocking the striker from hitting the primer.  The only way to move that plate, is to pull the trigger.  The P99 AS also has this feature.

Can this "plate" fail and stay stuck in the upward position, exposing the hole for the striker to go through.  Well, sure.  Any mechanical device can fail.  So make sure you clean your P99 and make sure it is functioning properly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For me the AS is great for carry with the bonus of an improved accuracy probability for subsequent shots. Make mine the superb AS trigger.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Glockguy @ Oct. 26 2006,3:28)]For me the AS is great for carry with the bonus of an improved accuracy probability for subsequent shots.  Make mine the superb AS trigger.
Yep!!!

·
Registered
471 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ShipWreck @ Oct. 26 2006,7:40)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Glockguy @ Oct. 26 2006,3:28)]For me the AS is great for carry with the bonus of an improved accuracy probability for subsequent shots.  Make mine the superb AS trigger.
Yep!!!

Ditto!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Glockguy @ Oct. 26 2006,1:28)]For me the AS is great for carry with the bonus of an improved accuracy probability for subsequent shots.  Make mine the superb AS trigger.
How do you figure that? It's been proven that a constant, consistant pull, time after time, yields better accuracy. Thus you see more 1911's and Glocks on the competition circuit. When I was shooting IDPA, I could not win with the AS P99. When I switched to the QA, I started to win.

You may possibly have "an improved accuracy probability for subsequent shots" with an AS, but its the first shot that counts.
My experience showed me that it was not the case.

·
Registered
471 Posts
In my case, I've proved to myself that the AS trigger works better for me! I prefer it over the Glock "constant pull" anyday...

Every shot you take counts P88...

·
Registered
435 Posts
So for those that carry an AS, after you load a round in the chamber do you decock it using the lever before holstering to get the first shot double action?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts