Walther Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally decided to sell my Glock 17, I honestly love it however it just does not in anyway fit my hand. I have very small hands and well it just doesn't fell right even after carrying it for nearly 2 years and 5k rounds.

I had narrowed it down to the H&K p2000 and then Walther p99. I'm leaning with the p99 as the "AS" trigger seems to win me over.

The p2000 fits my hand better and I like the idea of the LEM trigger as I prefer a consistent trigger pull. The QA on the p99 doesn't really do it for me....

The p99c wins as I prefer the longer barrel.

So do I go with the p2000 as it fits my hand better and learn to deal with the LEM trigger or do I go with the P99 which I like the trigger more, but it fits my hand somewhat worse?

I have no fired either compact...I have fired both fullsize but not back to back. I plan on going to hold each of them back to back as soon as I find someone who has both in stock.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also if I do decide P99...

I usually carry IWB in a CTAC, anyone using one with the p99?
Magazines pretty easy to find?

I also noticed someone who had purchased a 2007 "AS" version does this mean they are becoming easier to find? As I remember about a year ago when I was looking it was nearly imposable to find a new one. Which broke the deal a year ago for me and may lead to me buying a p2000.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You've asked a bunch of questions, mostly that only you can answer.

The ones I can answer:
Yes the CTAC is available for the P99, at least it was for the ond style slide. I ASSUME the new slide contours aren't different enough that you would have to specify what year P99 you have to the holster maker. I'm not positive about that last part.

Yes magazines are readily available. Mags with the Walther logo on the base plate run ~$30-35, mags with the S&W logo on the baseplate (identical mags mind you) run ~$20-25.

With regards to the subjective P99 vs P2000:

Both have a great finish. The P99 scratches easier without the thick top coat that H&K applies.

Both are superbly ergonomic. This is subjective, but I like the P99 better.

Both are accurate, though in my experience Walther's barrels are mystically accurate. You really need to shoot both side by side to make your choice.

The Walther has the longer barrel and sight radius, for the same slide length. It's like 5mm difference though, so statistically insignificant to my eyes.

The Walther has a higher magazine capacity if you hunt down the 16 rounders. I have 6 16rnd mags and 2 10rnd. None have ever had a problem. H&K uses a similar design, similar materials, and in my experience have never failed either (though I don't own any H&Ks and haven't had the oopportunity to punish any like my P99).

The trigger is where the P99 shined for me. H&K triggers have never been impressive to me. They come out of the factory very inconsistent. Some are gritty and loose (side to side wobble), others are tight and pretty decent.

The AS trigger though is somthing else. The DA is 'acceptable'. The SA is AMAZING. This gun makes it so easy to rattle off shots accurately. Using a push/pull hold on the gun, I've got the trigger reset timing down so that the next bullet is leaving the tube the instant the sights come down. I's almost like bumpfiring a rifle, except instead of bumping a rifle at your side, you're just providing a constant squeeze with the sights on the target.

I have a lot of experience with the USPc, love that gun. Oddly, I've never had the opportunity to fire a P2000. I have had the opportunity to try out the LEM trigger, and while I like it better than Sig's DAK and Para's LDA, it still lacks a true SA capability and that is a deal breaker for me. If it's not a pocket snubby, I want a SA trigger.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Normally I stay out of these "which one will I like better" threads, but I have one observation and one thought.

You say you have 5,000 rounds through your Glock, and you're going to get rid of it because it doesn't fit your hand. To me that means you practice a lot and the grip is important to you.

In 5,000 rounds you can get used to almost any trigger pull, including a horrible one, and shoot it well. I learned that in 2,000 rounds with an Astra 400. But a gun either fits your hand or it doesn't.

Can you finish connecting the dots?

M

·
Registered
28 Posts
Rent and shoot both pistol at the range, that should make your decision.

Both are excellent pistols.

Personally, I take the P99 because I don't like HK's customer service. Nothing against their products, they are great and I've owned HK products in the past, but their customer service sucks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts