Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in good night sights for the P99. I've seen some on the web and while I like the looks of what appear to be more standard sights from Trijicon, Inc. or Meprolight, I really like the idea behind the ones from XS Sight Systems. Pic below...

Can anyone share experience with any of the above and how 'easy' was it to install on a P99? Anything to be aware of when replacing stock sights?

Oh, one side item, is it true that even if you get an original, NIB P99, the sights are not the same as the models sold outside the US. If so, whats up with that?

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Orion, the sights on a P99 are VERY easy to change. All you need is a small screwdriver for the rear, and a socket driver for the front. One thing you might need to do for the front sight, though, is to grind down the socket driver so it fits in the 'pocket' in the slide where the screw goes. One suggestion for the front sight, when you get it in there, you might want to use some removable LockTite just in case.

As far as the Euro sights go, yes I understand they're different. Lots of things are different between US and Euro versions of many items, so I don't get hung up on it. Somehow, I always manage to hit what I'm aiming for.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've got the Meprolights on my P99 and they are great. As Admin said above, very easy to install. Make sure you locktite that front sight screw though.....mine would shoot loose in about 5 rounds until I did.

As far as the factory sights go, the Euro models come with a white outline rear sight where as we get the 3 dots.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Generally I agree that it is easy to do providing you have the right tools and the proper brand of locktite, but it is also easy to mess up.  Be careful removing the rearsight.  The detent which holds it in place is spring loaded.  If you're not careful the detent and spring may launch and you will have a hide and seek game on your hands.  I forgot who it was, but I believe someone here lost one of the pieces when doing it.

As far as brands of night sights go, the ones in your picture look a little funky.  If you like them, fine, but I'd recommend a more traditional sight picture, one that matches most of the other guns you have.  -That way you won't have to think about lining up the sights.  

I know some people like Mepro's but a friend of mine found that they tended to die early, well before the ones from Trijicon.  He used to own a gun store and was a Master class IPSC shooter, so I figured that he knew what he was doing when he put Trijicon on everything he carried.  For my part I've seen two sets of Mepro's die prematurely on guns owned by other people so I have always avoided them.

Lastly, Earl's Repair Service makes a nice, but expensive set of night sights using the Tritium inserts from Trijicon.  You might want to look at them.

Good luck-

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got the 2nd generation ones from Earl's repair. They were more expensive, but I bought the gun from him and he installed them for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the information guys and tips for changing sights. It helps! I'll need to consider the point on using same sights across multiple handguns.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts