Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have been attempting to educate myself on all the nuances associated with the different options available on the P99. I have only seen and handled one P99 at a Bass Pro shop. I liked the overall feel & balance of the P99 and decided I'd like to purchase one for the range primarily, perhaps occasionally carry it while hunting, a bit for home defense, etc. The Bass Pro guy, knew absolutely ZERO about the P99, so he was no help.:rolleyes:

My confusion is regarding the pros and cons of the "QA" vs the "AS". From those with experience, what are the major factors I should consider when deciding? :confused:

Also I'm at a bit of a loss determining the pluses and minuses regarding the 1st generation vs the 2nd generation of the P99. Can someone put in a "nutshell" what the deferences are? :confused:

Thanks in advance for any and all help. Sorry if this has been asked and answered before, however, I searched and couldn't find conclusive answers. :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hello all,

I have been attempting to educate myself on all the nuances associated with the different options available on the P99. I have only seen and handled one P99 at a Bass Pro shop. I liked the overall feel & balance of the P99 and decided I'd like to purchase one for the range primarily, perhaps occasionally carry it while hunting, a bit for home defense, etc. The Bass Pro guy, knew absolutely ZERO about the P99, so he was no help.:rolleyes:

My confusion is regarding the pros and cons of the "QA" vs the "AS". From those with experience, what are the major factors I should consider when deciding? :confused:

Also I'm at a bit of a loss determining the pluses and minuses regarding the 1st generation vs the 2nd generation of the P99. Can someone put in a "nutshell" what the deferences are? :confused:

Thanks in advance for any and all help. Sorry if this has been asked and answered before, however, I searched and couldn't find conclusive answers. :)

the AS TRIGGER config. stands for anti-stress.while the QA stands for quick action.
first the AS.the AS is a TDA pistol.it fires in TDA,meaning the first shot is DA(trigger fwrd)and all follow up shots are SA(trigger rearward)it can also be fired SA by racking the slide about(approx) 1/4'',this will set the striker partially cocked,with the trigger foward,you can still take up slack in the trigger before it fires(preventing ADs).it also has a decocker that allows you to decock the pistol while in SA to DA.the pistol STILL WILL FIRE WHEN DECOCKED IF THERE IS A ROUND IN THE CHAMBER.ALWAYS CHECK YOUR FIREARM BEFORE DRYFIRING IT.buy snapcaps,and no they wont hurt your pistol.so basically the P99AS has three trigger configurations.1)TDA,2)SA trigger rearward,3)SA trigger foward.
the QA is basically a partially cocked striker.it is the same pull,i believe 8 lbs for every single shot bringing a uniform platform for those who wish for one.the QA also has a decoker.its not really a DA pistol or a SA pistol,but something in between.hence the QA designation.hope this helps,and welcome aboard.
having owned Walthers and traded them in for GLOCKS due to GLOCKS saturation of the market and readily available after market supplies at a fraction of the cost of Walthers.i have traded in my GLOCKS and im returning to the Walther fold for good.they cant be beat.
the diff. between the 1st and 2nd gen is basically this...1st gen has a shorter mag release lever than 2nd gen.(i prefer the 2nd gen pistol) and the 1st gen has closer spaced slide serrations while the 2nd gen has more open and widler spaced serrations.i believe the 2nd gen also hasnt got that annoying bump in the middle of the trigger anymore.there may be some other changes and im sure someone here can fill you in in those.these were just a few that came to mind.hope this helps.you are now the proud owner of one the finest and most innovative and safe to,pistols ever made.

·
Registered
70 Posts
from the 1st gen to the 2nd gen walther also traded the proprietary rail under the front of the barrel for a picatinny style rail. However do to the lack od space from the trigger guard to the front of the rail, most tactical lights will not fit without an adapter or modification to the light. The insight M5 will fit, as will the laser devices blast 2.

here's a really good source of information for you...

http://www.lundestudio.com/WaltherP99FAQ/

·
Registered
22 Posts
I pondered the very same thing you inquired: AS vs QA. I own a Walther P22 and like its trigger. The AS trigger DA is a fairly long pull, but not bad. The SA mode is alot like the P22. I understand the QA has a consistent DA pull, but not as long as the AS in DA mode. I settled on the AS and bought it. Didn't regret it either. If you can find one, I recommend the AS over the QA.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've got a 1st Gen AS & 2nd Gen QA, both in .40. My opinion?

The AS trigger is cleaner, especially in single-action. The QA trigger is atrocious, at least mine was. Inconsistent pull, painful let-off...I couldn't hit a 6" target at 10 yards. Thanks to a thread on this site though, it's much much better now (1.5-2" groups last night), and the mods weren't hard to do.
I initially thought Walther engineers were mentally stunted, sticking that stoopid mag-release lever on the trigger guard like that. What the hell were they thinking, ferchrissakes? "Everyone" knows that the proper place for a mag release is a la 1911. Or so I thought...
Fact is the dumping of a mag, especially from a 2nd Gen with the longer lever, is a natural flowing movement that doesn't force you to shift your hand at all to dump the mag. I use my trigger finger to engage the lever and the effort is....effortless :D
On a 1st gen the mag release lever is much shorter, therefore requiring more effort and offering less surface area to engage it. All I know is, for my smallish hands, the 2nd Gen is definitely a charm for dumping a mag.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I disagree about the atrocities of the QA. I have a Second Gen .40 QA and love it. I have shot the AS version and did not feel comfortable with the trigger. Why? You have to pull that trigger all the way to the back of the gun. The QA while having a heavier pull does not have as far to travel before it shoots. Its the same pull from 1st to last shot. The one drawback to the QA is the inability to perform 2nd strike. That all deals with the way the decocker works differently on the 2 models. The decocker, although designed for taking the gun apart, on the QA when pushed renders the gun unfirable. However, with a slight rack of the slide, the pin is reset and you are ready to go. The QA trigger is a bit gritty at first, but after a hundred rounds or so, it is smooth. The AS just feels weird and perhaps with more reange time I would grow to appreciate it, but when looking at the cost difference ($450-500 for a QA.......$550-$650 for the AS) I will go withthe cheaper.....after all they are both still Walthers...very tuff and dependable and good shooters....And so much nicer than those glocks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
funny, 'cause the let-off distances aren;'t an issue for me, regardless of which gun I shoot. As far as the QA goes, I can only go by by own experience. My bloody trigger finger actually hurt after a coupla mags. But it's no longer an issue now, thanxs to Turbo. He da man!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts