Walther Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
I disagree with your reason for caliber selection and the comment regarding the likelihood of being charged with manslaughter.

First of all, in a self defense scenario you need to hit your target not spray 15 shots in the general direction. (Training,training, training.) If you haven't hit the person within three shots, he has probably closed the distance and is grappling with you or has decided to run for the hills. It's not like the movies where you're going to have a pitched gun battle. (If you're worried about that carry an extra mag) Keeping this in mind, caliber choice is important. Most law enforcement agencies are switching from 9mm to .40S&W for a reason, stopping power.

Regarding the manslaughter question, use hollowpoints, preferably Hydra-shok or in the alternative the same brand your local police department is using. Hydra-shok should not over-penetrate. It's one of those things, if you get pulled into court, you don't want to explain why you have Crook-killer GT ammo. You want to say, "I only use what my local police department or Federal law enforcement agencies use, nothing more destructive." Those organizations set the reasonableness standard. Although you may know more than them when it comes to guns and ammo, you don't want to depart from the standard they have set.

Even if your bullet did overpenetrate, it's not likely that you would be charged with manslaughter. If you had a legitimate self-defense scenario the collateral damage would likely be pinned on the aggressor. Many jurisdictions have something called the felony murder rule. Simply put, it means all occurrences that flow from the commission of a felony are the responsibility of the individual committing the felony. If a bankrobber comes into a bank and pulls a gun and someone suffers a heart attack, it's the robber's fault. If the police kill someone in a traffic accident rushing to the scene or shoot someone accidentally in a gunfight, again, it's the robber's fault.

Lastly, in court, juries do value a person's right to engage in self defense. D.A.'s offices know this and hesitate to spend the resources to bring a case to court that will be the victim of jury nullification. Certain areas of the country are less understanding when it comes to the use of firearms. However in NYC (not a gun friendly town) Bernard Goetz, the infamous subway vigilante got convicted of violating the city's gun laws (possession and concealed carry w/o a permit) not of shooting three armed individuals who demanded money.

-Get trained and be alert of your surroundings. Criminals look for a soft target. Being alert makes you a more difficult mark. Also be smart. If you see three individuals hanging around your vehicle do not go outside for a confrontation because you are armed. Call the police. Remember deadly force can be used to defend your life, not your property.

·
Registered
124 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (gunmanguns @ Jan. 06 2004,3:57)]and as far as the manslaughter that was a question NOT a comment....
With the Hi-cap mags you're talking 16 in 9mm vs. 12 in .40S&W, so you're not talking 5-10 extra shots. Everyone has their own preferences. If four extra rounds of 9mm make you more comfortable, enjoy them.

I know the manslaughter issue was a question, from ASCI White, it was a comment. I was replying to his comment while answering your question. -Clearly "Caps" were needed so I could be set straight.

Hurling insults after receiving advice is poor form and degrades you. Although I could have, I didn't impugn your intelligence or character. You asked for opinions in an open forum and you got them. Not all of them are going to agree with your perceptions of the world. Get used to it.

If you want to have a Wild West shootout at your car and carry super-scary ammo that make cops think you're not right, enjoy the matching bracelets and your time at the Graybar Motel. However, I thought the very purpose of your post was to learn how to avoid these things. I guess you weren't that serious about it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (gunmanguns @ Jan. 06 2004,3:59)]i didnt know satens under ground layer was a swear word/sorry
If you didn't mean any offense that I apologize for the slight. I figured you were directing the quoted line above at me since I mentioned some legal stuff. Your previous post had something cut out, at the end, where you were talking about beware of that guy. -Then, in a follow-up post, you typed the quoted line full of misspellings, apparently in an attempt to get past the censoring software.

Being mentioned in the same sentence as Lucifer hardly seemed flattering. You say you didn't mean to be insulting, fine. I consider this closed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.