Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody could tell me the years that Walther made the p99 in the desert sand finish, and where there any that are 100% made and assembled in Germany, I have seen a few that are 1st gen with the hump in the trigger gaurd but by the serial numbers and markings seem to be Walther/SW not 100% Walther which is what I would prefer but not limited to ecspecially if they're all Walther/SW. Any Information on these subjects and anything else to do with the p99 military would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Smith and Wesson was the importer. All 9mm P99 are 100% German manufactured. Smith and Wesson prints their banner across the front of the slide when importing the pistol. Also availible are slids with Interarms and Earls Repair Service printed on them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have only seen the desert sand finish in .40 cal so far and I just today for the first time spotted a 2nd gen. p99 in the desert sand without the trigger gaurd hump, so I guess it exists but is just uncommon and the p99 faq was very helpful in me figuring out that S.W. did make the slide for one I saw on gunbroker because it had a serial starting with 46**** but Im still not sure of the years it was made in the desert sand finish which would help me in figuring out how long Walther made the 2nd gen. in that finish and in turn how hard it will be for me to find a 2nd gen. in that finish which I would prefer over the 1st gen. any more followup info would be appreciated thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
keep your eyes on gunbroker....
they were only in production one year... 2004 and only in .40SW not 9mm and they are 100% German
there might even be one on gunbroker now

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
keep your eyes on gunbroker....
they were only in production one year... 2004 and only in .40SW not 9mm and they are 100% German
there might even be one on gunbroker now

Hey thank you uncut that explains why its so hard to find a 2nd. gen in the desert sand finish since they only made them one year. I see 1st generations one or two at a time for sale online but I have yet to see a 2nd gen for sale in that finish, what are your thoughts on the 1st gen. if you have had any experience with them? I haven't and just kind of wanted to stay away from some of the issues with it commonly talked about on here like the frame cracks and uncomfortable trigger gaurd...

·
Registered
693 Posts
Rather than hunting down some obscure, out-dated, used (and don't get me wrong, I love my Gen 1) P99, perhaps look into getting a new one and having the frame refinished in the color of your choosing?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones! For my 21st birthday I went to my LGS to order my P99AS in 9mm so I could pick it up on my bday. There also sat this brand new desert tan P99QA in 40. Of course I fondled it and told him that someday I'd be back for that one. Over a year (and 6 guns) later, I finally put some cash down on it. Once I had payed it off, as I walked out the door triumphantly smiling :D, he mentioned that I was lucky I had already put money down on it as another guy had come in two days before with full cash ready to take it home :eek:. (My LGS is run by a sweet old man and his wife, and they are great to my fiance and I)

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rather than hunting down some obscure, out-dated, used (and don't get me wrong, I love my Gen 1) P99, perhaps look into getting a new one and having the frame refinished in the color of your choosing?

The only problem I see with that route is the cost of getting the gun refinished after you already had to purchase the gun. I see the 1st gen. in that finish pretty often but I would like a 2nd gen. to avoid a couple problems and having a "rare" p99 is also kind of a fun thing as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones! For my 21st birthday I went to my LGS to order my P99AS in 9mm so I could pick it up on my bday. There also sat this brand new desert tan P99QA in 40. Of course I fondled it and told him that someday I'd be back for that one. Over a year (and 6 guns) later, I finally put some cash down on it. Once I had payed it off, as I walked out the door triumphantly smiling :D, he mentioned that I was lucky I had already put money down on it as another guy had come in two days before with full cash ready to take it home :eek:. (My LGS is run by a sweet old man and his wife, and they are great to my fiance and I)

You are very lucky to have what i would consider a rare p99 because according to another post from uncut who sounds pretty knowledgeable they were only made for 1 year that didn't have the ski hump in the trigger gaurd and the frame crack problems, If you ever consider selling it let me know im on the hunt high and low for one because I would like to have a rare p99 and would also like to avoid the extra money involved with buying a black framed one and sending it to someone to do the cerakote finish.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I can find the gen. 1 in desert sand pretty easily It's the gen. 2 that is hard to find because they were only made for one year in 2004 and could you give me a round about price on the cerakote.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You are very lucky to have what i would consider a rare p99 because according to another post from uncut who sounds pretty knowledgeable they were only made for 1 year that didn't have the ski hump in the trigger gaurd and the frame crack problems, If you ever consider selling it let me know im on the hunt high and low for one because I would like to have a rare p99 and would also like to avoid the extra money involved with buying a black framed one and sending it to someone to do the cerakote finish.

Lol. Will do. I hate to say it though but I have pretty much banned myself from selling firearms of mine anymore. I always find myself wishing I still had the ones I let go. I knew as soon as I saw it that it was rare, although I must say I wasn't aware that the 2nd Gen Reset Tans were only made for 1 year. I wasn't dead set on needing a .40 or the QA trigger for that matter, but it does make it a different P99 than I already own. If I happen to stumble across one ill be sure to let you know, and I promise I won't pick it up for myself lol.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Now that I think about it, the circumstances that caused that .40 to become mine were quite peculiar. When I was looking for my 9mm, no gunshops in the state, let alone most of new England could get me one. Got answers like: A what? And, are you sure you don't want a glock, or yeah... we can't get those. On a whim I called the lil mom and pop gunshop less than a mile down the road from my moms old house that I had never set foot in. Sure enough, Ralph got me one in time for my birthday and been going there ever since. I've purchased a lot from him, so has my fiance and numerous friends of mine. Big shout out to Fine Line in little ol Poland ME. Ralph practically bends over backwards to find what youre looking for, and does so at very little profit margin. I drool at cabelas and kittery trading posts shelves and then go buy from him.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts