Walther Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
You do realize the factory mags are made by MecGar for Walther, right?
Yes, however the ones that came today are not manufactured the same as the ones that came with the gun. There is an extra set of channels on the pair of mags that came with the gun and it is 15 vs 16 rounds. Now I may only run 15 rounds in the MecGar, just as sort of a hedge against potential jamming, don't know if that is even a factor to consider. Not sure of the purpose of the extra set of channels, also the MecGars come with orange followers.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Yes, however the ones that came today are not manufactured the same as the ones that came with the gun. There is an extra set of channels on the pair of mags that came with the gun and it is 15 vs 16 rounds. Now I may only run 15 rounds in the MecGar, just as sort of a hedge against potential jamming, don't know if that is even a factor to consider. Not sure of the purpose of the extra set of channels, also the MecGars come with orange followers.

They're both MecGar. SW had many made for their SW99 (same frame) and there were even some made for the Baby Eagle. They come up online for sale and are often very affordable. My P99 magazines are 16 round and are Walther branded on the metal and plastic. My Magnum Research Baby Desert Eagles are 15 rounders and marked with the MecGar logo too. On my Walther mags the MecGar logo is on the side with the 16 round hole. Some have Orange followers and others have black. Then there are my Canik magazines that hold 18 rounds from MecGar as well. Bottom line is all of them have performed flawlessly in my P99 and P99c (with extension). The anti-tilt follower is part of why 15 vs 16 and the color variations on the followers. For more complete information see this thread:
https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p99/119942-p99-magazines.html#post1213736

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was using the term MecGar to differentiate what I bought and what came with the pistol. The ones that came today are stamped Walther Cal 9mm just like the factory mags that came with the pistol. The difference being that groove on the right and left side of the mag.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just placed an order. That link wouldn’t work anymore, probably since the price has changed. They’re now $19/each. Still free shipping for 3 or more.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts

·
Registered
4,271 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Robertsons is a 2-hour drive from here.

They have been in business for years, although I've only driven there once- to buy a second, nice Polish P-83 (9x18 Mak chambering).

They offer a really unique selection of gun components on either Gunbroker or GunsAmerica etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone had any issues with these mags not having a non tilt follower? Just curious
I too am curious to know this. Also, what issues can you expect to see from these not having a cutout for the ejector? I bought one of these because my P99 only came with one magazine and wanted a spare for when I carry, but now I am unsure if I should incorporate it into my system or just keep it strictly for range use.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have used mine that I purchased from Robertson's in a P99c. As far as the follower goes, they work no problem. As for the concern about hitting the ejector, simple. I disassembled the mags, and the pistol, put the grip adapter on the mag. Insert the mag, watch to see if it touches the ejector. If it does, remove the mag and in the area where it touches, give it a couple of passes with a file. It took very little, as in you have to know what you are looking for to see that any metal was removed at all. If you don't want to do this, there's nothing wrong with that. Just pass on good mags at a good price and buy mags you feel comfortable with. Me, I think I'm going to order more to stock up on them.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I have used mine that I purchased from Robertson's in a P99c. As far as the follower goes, they work no problem. As for the concern about hitting the ejector, simple. I disassembled the mags, and the pistol, put the grip adapter on the mag. Insert the mag, watch to see if it touches the ejector. If it does, remove the mag and in the area where it touches, give it a couple of passes with a file. It took very little, as in you have to know what you are looking for to see that any metal was removed at all. If you don't want to do this, there's nothing wrong with that. Just pass on good mags at a good price and buy mags you feel comfortable with. Me, I think I'm going to order more to stock up on them.

I bought 6 P99c magazines from them, just wish that they offered the finger rest version. They're excellent and I haven't had to modify any of them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought 6 P99c magazines from them, just wish that they offered the finger rest version. They're excellent and I haven't had to modify any of them.

I like the extra capacity for reloads, and in the winter time when concealment is easy due to heavier clothing, but hey, that is why they offer different sizes, we get to choose what we like.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts