Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just aquired a NIB unfired P99
it is non-S&W manufacture
when I install full 10 rounds in magazine(s) it is difficult to get inserted fully... difficult to rack a rnd into chamber... the magazine release is almost immpossible to activate...

take out one rnd (9) and it works fine...

this is the same with both supplied/stock 10 rnd magazines

ideas anyone

thanks

·
Registered
471 Posts
A fully loaded 10 round magazine is as difficult to insert as a 16 rounder... A firm rap to the base of the magazine will securely seat it after it's inserted. You could leave the slide open when you first put the mag in... The spring will loose some of it's tension with use...
To remove a loaded mag, it's easier to push up on the base of the mag while actuating the mag release...
In time your P99 will loosen up and you will develop your own technique... You have a wonderful firearm and it will take a little time to get use to it, but the dividends are worth it!

BTW, Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks HAL8000

The info you provided was appreciated & well put... but I may have left the impression this was my first semi-Auto. (Kimber Ultra CDP II, FNH Five-seveN, a Colt Off., Etc.)

I thought (as you described) it may be an issue with the spring tension in the new mags that would break in in time but had never experienced this with any of my other sidearms.

is this as you believe & did you or someone else experience this?

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
471 Posts
Over the years I too have owned many different makes and models of semi automatics, but the P99 is different enough, it is almost like a brand new breed of it's own. I think Walther had that in mind when they designed it.

Here is a site you will want to book mark... in it you will find an amazing amount of information about your new pistol. To answer your question on mag springs I copied a section I thought you might be interested in:
"When the Walther P99 was first introduced, the magazine capacities for the respective calibers were 16 (9mm) or 12 (.40 Auto) rounds. However, starting in 2004, Carl Walther has downgraded the capacities of both calibers by one round, making them hold 15 (9mm) or 11 (.40 Auto) rounds. The new 15-round 9mm magazines are easily distinguished by having the witness holes on the back of the magazine, as opposed to on both sides of the magazine for the original 16-round and so-called Turkish 15-round ones. The new 15-round 9mm magazines also have a inward-intruding rib that runs vertical on both sides of the magazine, which serves to keep the capacity at 15 rounds. Carl Walther apparently made this magazine capacity change due to the difficulty by some users to insert a full magazine into the pistol with the slide closed."

The Walther P99 is a unique firearm. It is different than all the other semi auto's, and I like it for those differences... I did not mean to sound condescending, I apologies for that! Although this is not your first semi auto, this is your first P99... (I'll bet, it won't be your last
)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I agree with Hal. I've had magazines that do the same as you describe, but after a while they loosen up and are easier to insert. I've taken a couple and loaded them up and left them fully loaded for a week. This has helped to. And on another note, I don't believe in magazine springs going bad if you leave the magazine fully loaded for weeks, month's or year's on end. I've done this with many of my guns and never had a problem. The P99 is no different.

Now the mag release issue will never go away. That's just the way it is. I think this may be why they extended the mag release lever on the newer models, so that one can get a little more leverage on it.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
If I keep a mag loaded a while, I tend to leave it 1 short of being full. Might be a worthless attempt, but I know many many people who do this as well. At least it makes me feel better :p

Only time I add that extra round is when I am at the range.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts