Walther Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides CDNN and their $29 SW99 mags, where can one find Walther brand P99 fullsize mags, for less $$ than direct from Walther for $45? :eek: Thank you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I picked up six from a member here a couple of weeks ago in the trading post at $25 a piece shipped. What a deal! Perhaps post a WTB ad there?

As a side note I have both SW99 and true Walther mags and I would say that the Walther factory mags are made a bit better and are much nicer.

If you find another cheap source online be sure to let us know. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
are you positive the steel is different?
??? The steel portion of the mag seems the same not sure what you meant.
Perhaps the polishing is a tad nicer, hence a richer bluing, but for mags it doesn't really matter.

As far as why I like the Walther mags more, I just think that the followers are a nicer design and work smoother in the Walther mags compared to my SW99 mags.

$20+ better perhaps not, but in my case I bought them for $25each shipped so it was a no brainer for me to go with the Walther mags. YMMV. :)

I

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
We just recently talked about the difference....
yes both mags are made by Mec-Gar.... but the 15 rounders from Walther "look" to be sturdier than the 16 rounders and the finish is nicer....
there was no difference in the 16 round Walther and S&W mag housing......
difference in the Mags themselfs are color of follower and baseplate....

·
Registered
539 Posts
??? The steel portion of the mag seems the same not sure what you meant.
Perhaps the polishing is a tad nicer, hence a richer bluing, but for mags it doesn't really matter.

As far as why I like the Walther mags more, I just think that the followers are a nicer design and work smoother in the Walther mags compared to my SW99 mags.

$20+ better perhaps not, but in my case I bought them for $25each shipped so it was a no brainer for me to go with the Walther mags. YMMV. :)

I
I'm surprised the SW mags would have different followers than the Walther ones. The darn things are so critical that they are at the third design right now I think. You'd think MecGar would only manufacture the latest/greatest rev. But hey, I could be wrong about that of course. I have two 10rd Walther mags with SW floorplates. I suppose they're hybrids :)

Uncut: sorry, missed that conversation. I've never seen the 15 nor 16 round mags. Just 10 and 12 round .40 mags. I see no quality difference. Now that I keep my thumb of the slide-lock they all reliably lock the slide back on an empty mag :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to steer back to my original question; could Walther brand mags be obtained cheaper than direct from Walther ($45)? BTW, KEI has them for $43 I learned since starting the thread. Thanks!!

·
Registered
539 Posts
I haven't found them cheaper by any significant amount. The only thing I could suggest is to obtain a few 10 round mags for cheap and attempt to get S&W to 'upgrade' those for you. I had two 10 round mags with red followers (ie. old ones) and they were nice enough to replace them for free. Since I no longer live in CA they were willing to ship me 12 rounders.

No guarantee this will work and IMO S&W is under no obligation to do so. I was very impressed that they did. If you want to try this at least get old mags. I doubt they'd take properly functioning 10rounders and swap them for 12ers. I still have 4 10ers so I'd do that in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Just since it comes up often, the 2 commonly available mags for the 9mm p99 today are the 16 round sw99 mag and the 15 round walther mag. They obviously have different followers and springs. The body of the walther mag has ribs that make it a little sturdier and the finish is much better. I've received sw99 mags with rust on the interiors, the p99 mags I've gotten have all been perfect.

Both have functioned flawless but despite the better build quality of the walther mags I turn to the s&w mags for increased capacity. Ymmv.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
That smithy mag spring is odd. I don't think I've ever seen a mag spring with a short coil like that. Anyone know why it's in there?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I get mine from the the Sportsmans Warehouse. For about 25 dollars each. they are mec-gar Walther marked mags. 15 rounders. I think the price will be going up soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts