Walther Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I have spent to much time with the P5's,P88's etc. as I am now totally confused as to what the deal is when it comes to buying a 99 . Is it the same situation as when Interarms imported the complete pistol from Germany or as some have told me, the frames are German and S&W is doing the assembly with US made slides.. Any input would be very much appreciated.. TIA John D.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
They are all German made and are imported into the United States by Smith & Wesson. "Walther America" is nothing more than a sectioned off area at Smith & Wesson in Springfield, MA.

The pistols come in, are lasered with the "Smith & Wesson" import markings and shipped to distributors. All P99s and P22's are made in Germany.

Smith & Wesson makes the SW99 in 9mm/.40/.45ACP and the frames are made in Germany by Walther, sent over to Smith & Wesson, where they mate them with American made SW99 slides.

Magazines for both pistols, P99 and SW99 are made by MecGar.

James

·
Registered
76 Posts
Things may have changed since the unoffical Walther P99 faq has been released (you can get a link to it from the offical P99 page on Walther's site). But the all german made guns Have some kind of design on the slide and barrel with an N under them. The slide says in big letters Made in Germany. If you find a gun without the N it's made in the US of A.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Borrowed from the FAQ...

"The slide, barrel, and frame of 100% German-made P99s bear the "eagle over N" proofmark, which signifies that the pistol was tested with a "proof load." The "N" stands for nitro cellulose, which is used in gun powder. The frame, on the right side under the accessory rail, also bears a staghorn proofmark that signifies that the proofing was done at the ULM/DO proof house."

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I had a p99 in 40 s&w that i did not like because of the trigger pinch(see my other post) and poor accuracy. The barrel to frame in the injection port was not tight. It said made in Germany on frame with Walter usa import marks but no proof marks. The dealer assured me it was made in Germany, but I suspect the slide and barrel were Smith & Wesson made due to the loooose tolerences. I fear that this is a marketing ploy by s&w that is allowed by Walther.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
No, see the FAQ. Walther CONTRACTED S&W to make some 3000 .40S&W Slides to be mated to German frames to keep up with demand in 2000-2001. It was a one-time-deal, and I think Walther has learned their lesson.

James

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all who took the time to answer a question that I could not get answered by several dealers in the San Antonio area.One went the "extra mile" and called his distrbutor and they could not come up with an answer. I don't know why I am suprised!! But once again the members of this board took care of me.. Thanks again to all..JD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts