Walther Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My P99 has the Walther Banner and "P99" laser etched on the slide. Most of the newer pistols shown here are roll-marked, with laser proofs and serial numbers.

Does anyone know if Walther abandoned the totally laser marked slide in favor of returning to the roll marked version???

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
The markings on the P99 (not sure about the S&W import mark) are not roll marked... they are "engraved" into the slide while the slide is being machined on the CNC mill

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
My P99 has the Walther Banner and "P99" laser etched on the slide. Most of the newer pistols shown here are roll-marked, with laser proofs and serial numbers.

Does anyone know if Walther abandoned the totally laser marked slide in favor of returning to the roll marked version???

Is yours a .40 cal? The Smith and Wesson produced P99's in .40 had the lazer etched banner and P99, I used to have one. I am referring to the short period that Walther could not keep up with production, so Smith and Wesson produced some slided and barrels for Walther.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine is a 9 m/m "Euro" Model from Earl's.

It has all the proper German proof marks. In Lunde's P99 FAQ, it states Walther started lazer etching in 2001. Evidently the newer pistols are marked when the slide is milled.

Just wondering if anyone knows how long the Walther slides were Lazer etched, and why Walther stopped marking their guns that way.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
I have an early Interarms marked P99 that is definitely roll marked.
correct.....
but nowdays they are 'engraved' while on the CNC mill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts