Walther Forums banner
101 - 120 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
That is interesting. I've never heard of Classic Firearms before, but I'm going to check them out and keep an eye out for them from now on. My concerns would be service though. I'd like to know if either Walther Arms will service Walther pistols imported by Classic Firearms, or if Classic Firearms would.
They mentioned in their forever warranty that any gun made after 93 that isn't an antique, custom, or limited edition.

Neither of the two P99 pistols facing right have import markings on the scallops on the slide. I'm curious where the import markings are on those pistols. I'm also curious why the P99 with the suppressor is the only one with the small backstrap. That one looks like it was carried and used a whole lot judging by the wear on the slide and barrel. Was this one also a Spanish civil guard pistol?
On the gen 2 the import markings was placed on the other side, justified towards the center. The "F" in "FOXTROT SKANEATELES-NY" is placed under the "9" in the "P99 AS" scroll work. On the first gen (the surpressor host) it's very faint but there. InterArms Alexandria, VA.

Funny thing about why that one is rocking the small backstrap, the original one it came with had the classic "plastic getting sticky " problem that gen 1 backstraps developed, so I the a spare I had laying around on it.

I got it used, sold it to a buddy who then sold it back to me. No idea how much use it actually had but it's still chugging along.

the Spanish civil guard gun was the one with an ambidextrous slide release. The one imported by Foxtrot. That one surprisingly cleaned up terrific, with not much wear aside from a slight scuff on the barrel hood.

The very first thing I do when purchasing a used pistol is a deep cleaning. Taking off the grossness, checking for wear, and checking for modifications are the reasons why.
Agreed, always a good idea in my book. That and I can't be blamed for the grossness that the last guy left there.

Personally, I like to buy locally if possible, and I've never had a firearm that I wanted that I couldn't purchase through a local shop at similar pricing.
Back when Walther Arms just set up stateside, I was on the hunt for a P99c to go with my only full size. They were nowhere to be found. I called up Walther and asked them if they could sell me one and ship it to my FFL. They said they couldn't but that I should order from one of their retailers. I said "if you can name just one that is willing to order a P99c for me, I'll go that route." A week later I get a call back from the guy and he says "that was harder than expected, what FFL did you want this transferred through when the next batch shows up?" 🤣

I should clarify that I bought it through their military discount program which at the time was only directly through them through a singular person (though the ordeal took long enough that I went through two different military discount guys).

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't understand what's all the hype about this gun. I bought mine P99AS back in October 2021 and I regret the purchase. It's not fun to shot. It's jumpy and the slide is very stiff. I would have sold it but the headache of selling a gun in NYC just isn't worth it.
Yes I agree with you. The gun was a failure in the market place because Walther was to damn dumb to put a manual safety on the gun so you could have carried it in the single action mode. Carrying this gun in the single action mode is unsafe and carrying it in the double action mode is not what most gun owners want to do.because you are way more likely to miss on the first shot and even more troubling more likely to shoot some innocent person with a wide shot.

All this is a real shame because I like the feel, balance and accuracy of the P99 and its looks for a plasticky pistol are much more pleasing to the eye than the but ugly Glock and its millions of clones.

I bought one of the very first P99's because I also liked the decocker on it. I mostly use it as a range toy but would not carry it because its a tad too tall to conceal as easily as some of my other pistols and of course I do not trust myself to hit something with it when shooting the first shot double action. I wish some enterprising individual would come out with an aftermarket manual safety for it like the one I had put on my glock. Then I might consider carrying the P99 at least in the winter where a coat would cover it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yes I agree with you. The gun was a failure in the market place because Walther was to damn dumb to put a manual safety on the gun so you could have carried it in the single action mode. Carrying this gun in the single action mode is unsafe and carrying it in the double action mode is not what most gun owners want to do.because you are way more likely to miss on the first shot and even more troubling more likely to shoot some innocent person with a wide shot.

All this is a real shame because I like the feel, balance and accuracy of the P99 and its looks for a plasticky pistol are much more pleasing to the eye than the but ugly Glock and its millions of clones.

I bought one of the very first P99's because I also liked the decocker on it. I mostly use it as a range toy but would not carry it because its a tad too tall to conceal as easily as some of my other pistols and of course I do not trust myself to hit something with it when shooting the first shot double action. I wish some enterprising individual would come out with an aftermarket manual safety for it like the one I had put on my glock. Then I might consider carrying the P99 at least in the winter where a coat would cover it.
Yeah, then they'd have to go ahead and chamber it in 45 AARP. If you want a 1911, just go for that and save us the embarassment that is the S&W CSX. The P99 was designed as a duty pistol; that first pull being longer and heavier was deliberate to make sure you meant to shoot. If we're talking a high stress duty situation: the odds that your first shot is so far off you shoot an innocent are slim to none. Just like any other platform you ha e to practice with it. Just look at the sig P series, the HK USP/P2000/P30 lineup. All with the same idea in mind. If you are uncomfortable carrying your gun without a manual safety that's between you and your holster company. I carry my P99c AIWB everyday and it's far from worrying from me in DA or SA. Relying on a mechanical safety is...well it's a method.

·
Registered
6,901 Posts
The gun was a failure in the market place because Walther was to damn dumb to put a manual safety on the gun so you could have carried it in the single action mode.
They made a manual safety model for the South African Police. Walther Forum member Tanfoglio made a thread about it years ago. I'm assuming that they are not against making a product with a manual safety, they just don't believe that it will sell well.

Also, the P99 was a very good seller in the European market for agency contracts, which is what Walther was mostly interested in for years before they paid more attention to the US market a few years ago. I know of one agency that purchased over 50k P99 pistols, and at least one more that purchased over 12k. I don't think they focused at all on the US market for a very long time, which is why there were "droughts" of P99 pistols here every year that the P99 was available for the past 25 years.

Carrying this gun in the single action mode is unsafe and carrying it in the double action mode is not what most gun owners want to do.because you are way more likely to miss on the first shot and even more troubling more likely to shoot some innocent person with a wide shot.
From what I understand, Walther was the company that made the DA/SA trigger system with the release of the PP in 1929. Before then, all semi-automatic pistols needed to either be carried chamber empty, or carried with a manual safety in order to be carried safely. All of Walther's pistols made to compete for agency contracts after that (until the release of the PPS or PPQ) had a DA/SA option. That was "their thing" for decades, so I'm not surprised that they stuck with it. Walther is the company that allowed people to carry with a round in the chamber, ready to shoot with just the pull of a trigger, without needing to swipe a manual safety off of the pistol, and that was a very big selling point for a whole lot of police agencies to this day. It wasn't until Glock released the Glock 17 that the DA/SA trigger system lost popularity, but they kept with the "ready to shoot with just a pull of the trigger" philosophy.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Posthumous comments.

US P99 is officially dead. Not a single posting with an option for NEW current production P99 to prove this wrong. Doesn't matter what we've previously known. These are the facts. 1.5 years and not a single person can say, you're wrong, they are here or where here in that time. Only one person mentioned one in a case, called the place, they didn't have one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Posthumous comments.

US P99 is officially dead. Not a single posting with an option for NEW current production P99 to prove this wrong. Doesn't matter what we've previously known. These are the facts. 1.5 years and not a single person can say, you're wrong, they are here or where here in that time. Only one person mentioned one in a case, called the place, they didn't have one.
I purchased one brand new in March of this year but Walther did tell me (customer service) that it is discontjnued

·
Registered
122 Posts
Posthumous comments.

Allow me to enlighten you with my 2021 gun, one that I acquired mildly used. Between COVID and other world events I wouldn't be surprised if the new batch of P99s got delayed a bit.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Machine gun

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Allow me to enlighten you with my 2021 gun, one that I acquired mildly used. Between COVID and other world events I wouldn't be surprised if the new batch of P99s got delayed a bit.
View attachment 104331
Nice.

Shoot Straight sold dozens of CB code P99s on GB late '21 into '22. My local Cabela's had a few CB date code examples last year too.

IIRC, the HK Mark 23 was discontinued over a decade ago. 😉
My Mark23 is CA code, my local Cabela's currently has a CC (2022) Mark 23 for sale.🤔

Reactions: RetropM

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Here's the P99 epitaph thread from around a decade ago......

Reactions: RetropM

·
Registered
6,901 Posts
I doubt it is going to be "discontinued" until all of the agencies that still use the P99 stop using it. Whether or not they will stop selling it to the public, or stop shipping them to the US is a different question.

I've heard discontinuation rumors for more than 15 years now. Until I see something a bit more "official", I'll wait to see before I come to a conclusion here.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Damn i love how i dont get any notifications on the thread. Yeah just like balance said all the agencies in europe would have to drop the gun for that to happen, plus its a mix of the P99 and P99QNL all over europe. I actually saw a 2021 P99 today at the store when i went to go buy ammo in colorado springs . If im not mistaken with my online purchases over the years most of the german stuff gets restocked in the late summer/early fall. Again online sales very since stores dont want to lose all there inventory and not have anything for local sales.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Its the same as with other imported guns that have military and law enforcement contracts. Those come first. With all that they have in production, they would have to stop production of another firearm to produce the extra p99 to import for US consumers. We will get more p99s here between the times of contracts being filled and getting new orders placed.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Its the same as with other imported guns that have military and law enforcement contracts. Those come first. With all that they have in production, they would have to stop production of another firearm to produce the extra p99 to import for US consumers. We will get more p99s here between the times of contracts being filled and getting new orders placed.
Yeah actually i think one of there german social media videos talked about that one time. How they have two or three lines producing the individual pistols for different offerings law enforcement and sporting purposes.

101 - 120 of 129 Posts