Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-

I have two problems I'd like help with please.

the first and most important is the fact that there is a slight rattle/sound when the p99 is cocked and the trigger is in its first position (long, light pull). if you move the p99 up and down or just slowly turn it upside down and rightside up something is moving around in it. it sounds almost as if it's the firing pin moving around or something. This sound goes away once the pin is decocked or the trigger reaches it's halfway lock point.

the second is the fact that the trigger is rubbing something the first half of the long trigger pull in SA mode before it locks halfway. it makes the trigger incredibly gritty and makes me wonder if there is damage being done by an internal part rubbing. if you pull the trigger with the slide off the top you can see it rubs past something (not sure the part name)

are either of these issues NORMAL? if so or if not, how can i fix them?

thanks!

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I have a 1st generation P99 in front of me right now. While shaking it, unloaded, cocked in AS mode, and without a mag in the magwell, the only rattle I'm hearing is coming from the slide rattling on the guide rails of the frame. The firing pin is spring loaded and under tension, so I doubt the rattle is coming from it. Have you taken the pistol apart yet to try to pinpoint it?

The P99 is on the right on these pictures. See if you see something different in your pistol:

the first and most important is the fact that there is a slight rattle/sound when the p99 is cocked and the trigger is in its first position (long, light pull). if you move the p99 up and down or just slowly turn it upside down and rightside up something is moving around in it. it sounds almost as if it's the firing pin moving around or something. This sound goes away once the pin is decocked or the trigger reaches it's halfway lock point.
I'd suggest you start by checking the trigger bar for play.

the second is the fact that the trigger is rubbing something the first half of the long trigger pull in SA mode before it locks halfway. it makes the trigger incredibly gritty and makes me wonder if there is damage being done by an internal part rubbing. if you pull the trigger with the slide off the top you can see it rubs past something (not sure the part name)
With the slide off the frame, push the trigger bar down towards the bottom of the magwell, and look to see what that half circle that the trigger bar is riding on, is doing. Put a drop of lube on the trigger bar where it glides on that half circle, and see if the grittiness goes away.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok. On the trigger bar there are two points sticking up. Under the second one (right one in diagram) there is a tiny dimple under it. Is this pushing on frame? Is what I'm feeling normal because its meant to kinda rub there?

·
Registered
86 Posts
If it is a new P99, a gritty trigger usually goes away after a few hundred rounds.

My P99 def makes some noise if I shake it too, the slide hitting the frame back and forth. Also, the mags tend to be noisy and something sounds "loose" in them sometimes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea. It's just gritty the first half of the SA pull. Only 150 rds thru it so far.

The sound comes when I move it p and down. Like a tiny metal or plastic bead inside. Not the slide on the frame. Hmm

Yea. The mags really make noise. Ugh

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Ok. On the trigger bar there are two points sticking up. Under the second one (right one in diagram) there is a tiny dimple under it. Is this pushing on frame? Is what I'm feeling normal because its meant to kinda rub there?
Focusing on the rattle, where is it coming from? What part or parts on that image (what color) are the cause of the rattle?

Is it the slide rattling on the frame?

If it is the slide rattling on the frame, don't worry about it, but since you state that the rattle is only there in AS mode, I'm thinking it has something to do with the trigger bar.

As for the gritty trigger, put lube in these areas. Put lube on them one at a time so that you can pinpoint where the grittiness is coming from:

Trigger Bar (the yellow part):
-Lube the top of the center section where it contacts the half-circle on the frame
-Lube the ear on the left side that contacts the FPB (pink)
-Lube the section all the way on the right, where it rubs on the frame on the side of the sear

FPB (the pink part)
-Lube the angled area where it contacts the trigger bar
-Lube the channel in the slide that it rides in

Sear (the green part)
-Lube the small area where it contacts the orange part underneath it. It is easier to get to this part when the trigger is pulled.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
If you can't find the cause of it, or pinpoint the rattle, there is nothing I can do from here other than make guesses and assumptions.

Inspect the pistol inside and out. If there is nothing obviously wrong, then shoot the pistol, and if there are any problems, report back.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
im pretty sure it's from the frame now...i'll continue looking

since you're here and helpful-- i wanted a backup guide rod,..i called s&w and they said they have low power and high power...the guy seemed unsure at first but then said he confirmed that the high power was for the .40 and the low was for the 9mm (what comes in firearm when bought)....do you know if this is correct? i wouldn't wanna get something that would keep +p from performing.

thanks.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
since you're here and helpful-- i wanted a backup guide rod,..i called s&w and they said they have low power and high power...the guy seemed unsure at first but then said he confirmed that the high power was for the .40 and the low was for the 9mm (what comes in firearm when bought)....do you know if this is correct? i wouldn't wanna get something that would keep +p from performing.
There is only one recoil spring assembly for both the 9mm and the .40 99-series pistols. Both use the same weight spring.

There is however, a lower powered spring designed for use with a suppressor. Maybe this is what they were talking about.

I'd suggest trying Magnum Research first. Last I checked, they were selling the RSA for their MR9/MR40 for around $4 each.

also, i think it might be the green part bouncing up and down when i shake it. it stops when trigger is half way locked, or in DA mode.
That would be the sear. This is the part that holds the striker in the cocked position, against the force of the striker spring, when the pistol is in AS or SA mode. There should be no rattle coming from this part when the P99 is in AS mode.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There is only one recoil spring assembly for both the 9mm and the .40 99-series pistols. Both use the same weight spring.

There is however, a lower powered spring designed for use with a suppressor. Maybe this is what they were talking about.

I'd suggest trying Magnum Research first. Last I checked, they were selling the RSA for their MR9/MR40 for around $4 each.

That would be the sear. This is the part that holds the striker in the cocked position, against the force of the striker spring, when the pistol is in AS or SA mode. There should be no rattle coming from this part when the P99 is in AS mode.
ok great, so i got a low powered spring? my gosh this is frustrating.

ok so what do i do about the sear? everything seems to work fine...dry fires and everything...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts