Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How has the P99 performed in law enforcement market?
Just how successful is this gun (compared to glocks, sigs, beretta, smith and wesson, etc) among law enforcement agencies in terms of sales and acceptability?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think that the Chicago PD uses the .40 P99, but I'm not certain by any means.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nice to see some feedback on this.

If anyone could supply a link regarding Law Enforcement use (USA) of the P99, in any capacity:

....that would be great.

Dan

·
Registered
6 Posts
The S & W 99 and the Walther P99 are becoming favorites with my home town PD. The Cheif of police here carries a P99 in O.D. and several of the other officers carry them as well. An other department in my area has authorized it for off duty carry only.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I heard that the NJ state police carry P99's to replace the P7's they used to carry...

The way the story goes, the NJSP originally had SW99's, but they kept breaking parts, so they switched to P99's and have been happy since then.

I have no way of confirming this at all, to take it with a bit of salt...

·
Registered
91 Posts
http://www.defense-training.com/quips/2001/15Mar01.html

This is what I had also heard.  The brass wanted a specially designed mag, instead of the stock mag.  As we all know, feeding issues are almost always magazine related.  If the NJSP had taken the stock pistol instead of wanting to customize at the last minute, this wouldn't have been a problem.

It was S&W that fixed Walthers problem with the P99 .40 that would lock open before the mag was empty (solved by the rectangular stamp at the top left side of the mag).  There were other examples where S&W changes were applied to the P99.  They're both fine pistols. Let's not start a pissing match between these two manufacturers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts