Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to put this so I put it here.
I am strongly thinking about shooting my P99 in the next IDPA match. I date way back in IPSC when the 1911's were king and the Glocks just barely appearing. In fact the first RO class I went to was taught by Dave Stanford the first president of USPSA.
Anyway I have shot 1911's, Glock 34, 17 and 19s, and the PPQ in these IDPA matches (gun of the month club member - hey variety is the spice of life). Now I am thinking about using my P99 9mm. The PPQ holster from Comptac looks like it would work and I have a lot of mags for the pistol.
Anybody here shot the P 99 in a IDPA match? How do you think it will work?
Should I leave it cocked or de cock it when originally drawing it?

·
Registered
893 Posts
My wife ran the P99 in IDPA a few years ago, but it's been an awful long time since we shot IDPA. She had no issues, and I know that there have been at least a couple of rules changes, but for her, the way she started determined what class she could shoot in. If you start decocked, I believe that was a requirement for shooting SSP, if you start cocked, then you were ESP. It could be different now, but worth checking.

In a club match, I don't think anyone would know, or care.

The gun itself ran fine, and in IDPA, it'll run as good as the person behind it!

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
It's been a long time since I used the P99 in IDPA too. It worked out just fine, but at that time (1998) they wouldn't allow me to load the mags to full capacity.

Never had a problem using it though. Extremely fast double taps are possible.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I don't understand their logic. Are you only going to load ten rounds into a 16 round magazine when you're out on the streets?

No. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
637 Posts
Barbarian,

I used my P99 in my first IDPA match, and two of my sons used it in their first match.

Sundevil gave you the answer I was going to:
decocked - SSP
cocked - ESP
In local matches, don't think it will matter.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I don't understand their logic. Are you only going to load ten rounds into a 16 round magazine when you're out on the streets?

No. :rolleyes:
Lots of IDPA's rules are silly, especially their rules about when and how you can reload, but whatever, it's a game, and games have rules. You have to play by the rules if you want to play. If nothing else, 10 rounds means you're going to have to reload at some point during most stages, and that's a good skill to test and improve in competition.

To the OP, I run a P99c in USPSA production and even place well at local club matches from time to time; I see no reason why a full size wouldn't be just fine for IDPA.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Lots of IDPA's rules are silly, especially their rules about when and how you can reload, but whatever, it's a game, and games have rules.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt the 10 round start was a result of the mag limit bans that are no longer in place? (well, except for some states...) While the rule might be silly, once upon a time, it did have a purpose, and in some states still does.

My intention is not to start a debate, call it a groan of frustration, but I think most IDPA rules are silly, and it's amazing how they can't get out of their own way with rule changes. IDPA really seems to be run to cater to a certain crowd. Not saying the folks at USPSA are light years better (in a different sort of "not good"), but it'd be nice to see both those organizations run a bit more efficiently. I think it'd benefit existing shooters, and hopefully draw and keep new shooters to the sports.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt the 10 round start was a result of the mag limit bans that are no longer in place? (well, except for some states...) While the rule might be silly, once upon a time, it did have a purpose, and in some states still does.
That is my understanding as well.

My intention is not to start a debate, call it a groan of frustration, but I think most IDPA rules are silly, and it's amazing how they can't get out of their own way with rule changes. IDPA really seems to be run to cater to a certain crowd. Not saying the folks at USPSA are light years better (in a different sort of "not good"), but it'd be nice to see both those organizations run a bit more efficiently. I think it'd benefit existing shooters, and hopefully draw and keep new shooters to the sports.
You'll get no disagreement from me on those points. I think USPSA's rules make a bit more sense, and the concept is a bit more honest, in that it recognizes itself as a game, whereas IDPA seems to be trying to ride some weird line between game and tactical simulation with its rules. That said, competition is good for your skill in general. IMO people benefit from involvement in either sport.

·
Registered
893 Posts
That said, competition is good for your skill in general. IMO people benefit from involvement in either sport.

100% agree with that sentiment.

Trigger time, especially on a timer is great practice for anyone. I'm not a fan of the IDPA rule set, and I seem to encounter a set of folks who feel IDPA is "training" which alternately annoys and amuses me. To me, they are both games, games that can be fun, and give some worthwhile practice to folks who want more than static target shooting.

Whatever sport though....I really enjoy the communities that spring up in the clubs, some really great people to get to know that make the match even more enjoyable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I shot a P99 in IDPA for awhile. Enjoyed it, but the gun was in .40S&W and I wanted to move to something in 9mm.

By the way, it is illegal to run the gun cocked at the start in ESP division. This is because there is no safety on the gun when it's cocked. You can only run DA/SA guns cocked in the holster if they have a safety that allows them to run cocked and locked. Otherwise, they are in an unsafe start condition.

The 10-round mag loading limit is still in effect for the divisions relevant to the P99. This allows the sport to be consistent across all states (although I think New York has changed it mag capacity law in the last couple of years).

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Otherwise, they are in an unsafe start condition.
I can't speak to IDPA's rules, but this statement seems false in the case of the P99. There is essentially no difference between a cocked (AS *or* SA) P99 trigger and the full-time all the time cocked state of the PPQ's trigger. If it's unsafe for one, it's unsafe for the other, and vice versa. Is the PPQ legal in IDPA?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Match Directors are not supposed to be technical experts on every make and model of gun out there. Regarding DA/SA guns, it comes down to if there is no manual safety when starting in SA mode, it would be considered an unsafe start, and the gun would be required to start in DA mode.

The IDPA rule for start condition of a DA/SA gun in ESP is 8.2.2.1.6.2.

Selective DA/SA firearms will start cocked and locked or de-cocked. This is at the shooter’s discretion, including firearms using the SSP into ESP rule.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I shot a few IDPA and then an acquaintance suggested I come out for USPSA. Wow, night and day difference imo. I know it's off topic, but I thought I'd share. Try a USPSA match. I think you'll enjoy it more.

Reactions: Sundevil827

·
Registered
7 Posts
The 10 shot capcity rule levels the playing field between commonly used service pistols. So if you use a 13 shot Sig P228 you wont be handicapped shooting against a Glock 17 which holds 17 because both shooters can only load 10 rounds. It makes since cuz you dont want the Sig shooter to say why bother if i have such a disadvantage.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I never thought IDPA was supposed to be a game. I thought it was to improve your real-world response under threat. At least I thought it started out like this in the late '90's.

At that time, that's why the ten round limit made no sense to me. The only one I'm shooting against is me. I'm not too concerned with how I do against someone else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's supposed to be a more realistic competition where tactics play an important part. But if there is a ranking of results I want to be at the top. That is why there needs to be rules that level the playing field. I actually prefer USPSA and 3 gun because I'm more about the game than the tactics. I want to beat my competition not myself.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts