Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please read this .....

Am I missing MacBlackboots point.... or is there something out there that I am not aware of......
did I make a fool of myself with my followup post
?
I was thinking with 100% certainty that there was no P99 .45acp

·
Registered
33 Posts
uncut,

there has never been a p99 in .45acp. there was rumors of one in the works, but then the sw99 in 45acp came out, which made me very disappointed. same thing happened with the p99c, there was a rumor and then the sw99c came out first.

if walther ever makes a .45acp, I hope the grip is way better then the sw99 in 45. That grip is horrible.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You did not miss his point at all. He may think he have a P99 because it still says Walther on the frame, but he has a SW99.

I had a kid, in person, try to tell me that his P99 was a special edition with a .357SIG barrel, special slide serrations, and special finish. It was a reworked .40SW (2002) with a barsto .357SIG barrel (barsto was stamped on top of the barrel) and the slide had been sent to Robar for their NP3 finish. I don't know if Robar added the new serrations to the slide or if it was someone else. But anyhow that 99 was really reworked and he was trying to pass it off as the "Walther P99 Rogue Agent Edition."

Rogue Agent was referring to the 007 Goldeneye Rogue Agent video game inwhich you play the anti bond character. This character's pistol is a two tone 40SW P99 with a modified slide. Which looks nothing like what the kid had.

Any way that story really didn't work in his favor that day.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Uncut, you are not crazy, and Blackboot is smokin' crack if he thinks there has ever been a P99 chambered in .45ACP. Never has been, and apparently never will be.

James

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys.....

I did google "P99 .45ACP" last night and stumbled across a link that made me wonder......

In one article ...... which I will look for again, it was mentioned that Walther had a project going at the same time the P99 was in the works. Apparently it was called "Bigbore" and was a .45ACP.  Apparently that project was put away once the P99 made it to the market......

I will dig again and copy a link to it here......
So, Mr Lunde or Extremist...... if you know something about this project..... please fill us in... thank you

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I noted that this link also mentions that the P99 was planned to chamber the .380 acp as well. That's a new one to me.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
There's a picture of the "BigBore" in "Walther: A German Legend"

I wish they'd make them. Although I'd rather have a 10mm.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So it is not just a rumor... that is cool..... I need to get that damn book.....
Yea I agree with you.. if Walther came out with a good .45ACP all hell would break loose .....

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (uncut @ May 09 2006,3:22)]Yea I agree with you.. if Walther came out with a good .45ACP all hell would break loose .....  
Perhaps.  Personally I like the .40 a lot better than the .45.  After talking with various policemen and reading about various shootings, it's amazing how much the .45 will just bounce off of things, including people!  The .40 will punch right through.

The Big Bore is a 1911 knock off. I use to think it would be great, but I've seen so many 1911's lately, that I'm starting to get tired of them.

·
Registered
333 Posts
It would be interesting if Walther did decide to make a 45 acp, but the market is flooded with so many 45 acp semi-autos....it might be hard to compete.

Here is a tip and well kept secret.......if you are in the market for a full size 1911 .45 acp and just want the basics:

Look for a S&W Model 4506 . These guns were built like a tank and right out the box are one of a few guns made that were able to handle the power of the 45 super without any Mod.s You get a very safe weapon that can be carried fully loaded and ready to fire DA. It comes with an ambi safety [ in lue of a de-cocker ] and magazine safety. Many were sold to LEO's with night sights, so you can find this version selling used in the market place like I did.

Just a rock solid Stainless Steel [ but heavy ] 1911 type 45 acp. that comes apart like most modern day polymer pistols.
And these won't hurt your check book that much - selling used for around $500.

I would rather have a Walther.......... but to own a 1911 style .45 acp that I will never wear out for a very reasonable price ........ the 4506 will have to do.

JF.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Sniper,
I would have thought that the main attributes of a 1911 style handgun have be it's straight back trigger pull, and single action function. While the 4506 physically resembles the 1911 somewhat, it's double action lockwork and pivoting trigger would have me classifying it no more as a 1911 than any other .45 caliber semi auto.

I'm not very familiar with the 4506 though. Perhaps the barrel lockup is similar. Your main point however is well taken. I've read many favorable reviews of the 4506, and they certainly are plentiful. I just don't think you'll get the crisp trigger break that you can achieve with a 1911.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I am afraid it just won't happen. Walther has missed the boat on this one. If they had followed through on it when the article was written, '97, well then it would have been different. But Glock, S&W and now the XD have beat them to the draw;I don't know what it is with some of these older, historic companies. I saw Colt make the same mistake almost 20 years ago. When Cowboy shooting was getting popular, Foreign clones(Uberti) and Ruger jumped all over the Single Action Army market and basically took it from Colt. When Colt decided to market a more inexpensive "shooter" very few were interested anymore. (Well except me). Walther has had some classic designs but lacks the marketing initiative and follow through for market demand. Probably because they are not really interested in the U.S./civilian market in the first place. But if Springfield, H& K and Glock can fill a niche, maybe Walther will respond. I'd buy one. But I would still like to see them make a pistol caliber carbine to match the P99 first. I won't hold my breath.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts