Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Walther doesn't offer this, but I just ordered a S&W P99 in .45acp. Anyone here have a good or bad experiences?

From what I read - these shoot high (compared to a 1911-A1), but they are accurate (So I hear)..

Anyone know where is a good source for Magazines?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
There aren't too many owners of the gun online - but I have heard good stuff about them. With a replaceable front sight (U get 4 heights), U should be able to get the gun to shoot where U want.

Finding mags may be tough. I have been tempted to buy one before.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I own one. It's decent all around, though the grip section is a tad too long for my liking. I would have rather they made the grip a bit thicker and shorter, but what are you going to do....

The only issue I've had with mine, and it's been back several times to S&W without a permanent fix, is that sometimes the slide will lock open with several rounds still remaining in the magazine. I'm positive it's not my grip style, since I've shot many thousands of rounds through my P99 and P99c without this issue happening.

Any other questions, please ask.

Regards,
Jeff

·
Registered
189 Posts
What he said...

I've got two of them and can give a "+1" to what jgilbertson said. On some occasions, with no rhyme or reason to when or why, the slide will lock back with EXACTLY three rounds left in the magazine. Never 1.. never 2... never 6. It is three rounds WHEN it happens. You can drop the slide release and keep on going. Stranger than fiction, but true that SOME folks have experienced this. I have heard the parts that get replaced when sent in are the slide lock bar and spring. I have not sent either of mine in for this, even though it is a free ride round-trip to S&W.

Just for grins, here's one of them with a hardchrome job...

Not much help on great prices for the mags. I just checked the place I got extras from and their price is in line with everybody else it seems.

:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
For you guys that are having the slide lock open, how often does this happen? I've got about 1500 rounds through mine without this kind of trouble. Is this a problem that showed up after some wear or when new?

BTW- I really like mine

·
Registered
189 Posts
I picked up both of my SW99 .45s "pre-owned" so I can't give a very good assessment of when it happens in the round count area. From what little I've read elsewhere on this I don't recall seeing anything that indicated it was a new vs. old condition but rather just a vanilla "some people see this behavior and others don't" post. That said, it was only 1 or 2 people that chimed in to say it has happend to them. I also recall reading, as jgilbertson noted in his post, some folks see this behavior again after sending it in to S&W for repair. It's strange but does not seem to be "wide spread" based on my armchair analysis of the little I've seen actually posted on the topic... :confused:

If others have more info, please pass it along. :)

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Mambro, that is amazing that your SW99's lock open with 3 rounds left exactly like mine. I thought my pistol was just cursed.

I can't, for the life of me, figure out any pattern or logical explanation as to why it does it. I'll go for several mags without a problem, think it was an aberration, then BLAM - slide lock with 3 rounds left.

I would have sold it except that there is no other pistol with the P99 style and functions in God's Own Caliber, so I live with it.

Fun to shoot at the range, but I'd never carry with it due to this issue.

HK45 for me once they are available....

Regards,
Jeff

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yep.. it's strange. Another line item in the x-file is that I just searched for "sw99 45" at the S&W Forum, and in 5 pages of results not a single mention of this particular issue.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Mambro - I can give you a guess at why this Lock-back is happening, but it will need two things to coorect it.

First: the Why - The 45 acp round is notorious for being dragged forward within the magazine lips as the Slide is moving to reload the Pistol. The magazine spring is tightly compressed when fully loaded and pushes very hard on the remaining rounds to keep them in place. As the pistol unloads itself through firing, the "push" on the remaining bullets become somewhat less and less ------ until it comes to a point where the 3 bullet is dragged forward and taps the Slide lock back mechanisum. The Slide then locks open.

So to stop this from happening you need a stronger slide bar spring AND a better magazine spring to hold the bullets tigher with lesser rounds loaded.
Pulling on the magazine spring will not solve you problem - it will just re-set itself pretty fast

This is all just a guess, since I don't have the SW99 in 45 acp to look at or take apart.

JF.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts